"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-10-2006, 12:48 AM   #1
Master Chef

Need savory foods or fruit ideas

Hi, Fellow Cooks!

I need your help--Monday, Nov. 20, is my turn to hostess Coffee Mornings--this city has so few expats that even some ambassadors' wives attend these. (panic--no they are really very nice) I have plenty of sweet ideas to prepare (even though few eat them) and want to include some savory dishes (like quiche) and fruit. Any ideas or recipes or links would so much be appreciated. Coffee, tea, and juice will be served. Thanks!

Old 11-10-2006, 02:19 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

How about what my family calls torta. It's simply a mixture of veggies and eggs, what we do is saute onions a little garlic in evoo, add your favortie things, we like diced pre-cooked potato,zucchini, asparagus, artichoke hearts, finely chopped spinach,salt,pepper, marjoram this is mixed into the eggs with a good bit of fresh grated parmesan, instead of putting it into a skillet and cutting pie shapes to serve, you could put it into a baking dish and cut it into nice size squares. It's one I use often for all kinds of leftover veggies,at times I even use some prosciutto or pancetta ,it is hearty yet tastes just right with a cup of tea or coffe and fruit or even a nice green salad and a crossiant. Just an idea hope it helps

kadesma

Old 11-10-2006, 04:58 AM   #3
Head Chef

expatgirl, what is the weather etc like where you are right now? Are you after thinngs served room temperature, warm or cold?

Kadesma -your torta sounds excellent. I definitely think slices of things rather than individual thingys are more morningish, sort of contrived casual! But keep the slices small, I think squares, or retangular fingers are spot on. The only other thing I would say, from my experience, is that presentation is all, plates groups together look more bountiful, and a couple of small vases of flowers next to the food complete the picture, real napkins etc. I think these occasions are one of the few where the impression is as imporatnt as the company- I am sure you will be great.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:41 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Something I discovered, quite by accident, might be a useful addition. I had some tortilla wraps left over at the end of the week. I "sandwiched" two together with grated cheese and fried them (dry) in a frying pan - turning over as the cheese started to melt. As they cool, they go really crispy and are easy to "slice". For more exotic variations, you could add peppers; onions; mushrooms or ham. The variations are only as limited as the imagination! But even just with just cheese alone, they are really delicious and quite unusual. Hope this helps!
Old 11-10-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Footsteps, what you discovered was a Quesadilla - they are so good!!!

expat - here's an idea for savory that we love - from an old hometown newspaper - Sac Bee.

* Exported from MasterCook *
HOT WALNUT-LEEK TART

Serving Size : 12

Muenster Pastry:
1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp red pepper -- (cayenne)
1/4 c shortening -- plus 2 Tablespoons
1/2 c Muenster cheese -- shredded (2 oz.)
4 Tbsps cold water -- (or 5 Tablespoons)
Filling:
2 med leeks -- trimmed, cleaned & cut into thin slices
2 garlic cloves -- minced
1 1/2 c half and half
1/4 c olive oil
1 1/2 c walnuts
2 tsps hot pepper sauce
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 c Muenster cheese -- shredded (4 oz.)

For Pastry: Combine flour, salt & pepper. Cut in shortening & cheese w/a pastry blender till the mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle water evenly over surface & stir w/fork till dry ingredients are moistened. Shape dough into a ball & chill.

Roll Pasty to 1/8" thickness on a lightly floured surface. Fit into an 11" tart pan. Trim edge of pastry, leaving a 1/2" overhang. Fold overhang under & flute. Line pastry w/waxed (or parchment) paper & fill w/pie weights. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 min. Cool completely. Remove pie weights & paper. Set aside.

For Filling: Saute leeks & garlic in olive oil for 8 minutes or till leeks are golden brown. Remove from heat & cool completely. Spread leek mixture into pastry shell. Combine 1/2 & 1/2, walnuts, hot pepper sauce, salt & eggs in a blender. Process till smooth. Pour mixture over leeks. Sprinkle w/cheese. Bake at 350 for 35 min., or till puffed & golden brown. Let stand 10 min. before slicing.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:45 AM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I love the Alsatian Tarte Flambee... Caramelized onions in a custard kinda like a quiche.

Or a Provencal Pissaladiere Nicoise... again, caramelized onions, with anchovies and shredded cheese on puff pastry, rolled thin. kinda like a pizza only different.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:54 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I imagine it is getting quite chilly over there... I think what the Napolitanos call "Gattō" (their take of the French word "Gatteau") may be comforting. It is like a potato quiche, mix shredded potatoes, onions, pancetta or smoked bacon with egg and your choice of cheese (which melts well with heat), add it in a brisče crust and bake. Hearty, warm and delicious.. If you are interested I will get the detailed recipe for ya.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Also, just another suggestion - what about a savory palmier?

pesto
rosemary and asiago
sundried tomato

Quiche sounds like a great idea though - easy to prepare and room temp isn't bad.

Heck, everyone's suggestions sound heavenly! I think they ALL need to be posted

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:49 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

We've done this several time, while kind of messy to work with, it's very pretty on a glass pedestal surrounded by some tiny fern and flowers, plus it tastes so good. cut the top off a cantaloupe or honeydew melon, scoop out the seeds and pulp. Dry the melon well, then frost the outside with cream cheese then roll in coconut. Stand up right on serving dish and fill the hollow with your favorite diced fruit that you've added some either whipped cream to or some lime and honey which is our favorite. Cut as you would a cake or pie and serve with the diced fruit, make sure the fruit is nice and cold around here it's gone in a flash.

kadesma
Old 11-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #10
Master Chef

I used to make small puffs from choux pastry and fill them with chicken salad. I don't know what you have available there, but lobster salad would also be nice.
I also used to order "Silver Dollar Rolls" from the bakery...they're just miniature buns...spread them with mayo and/or mustard, put a few bits of ham on them, a tiny leaf of pretty lettuce, and serve on a tray.
Don't forget finger sandwiches. There are lots of fillings you can use...I like a mix braunsweiger, cream cheese and sliced olives.
If you really want to wow them, make an hors d'ouevres tree. I pin leaf lettuce on a styrofoam cone with tiny bits of florist wire bent like hairpins, then skewer assorted tidbits (pineaple chunks, melon balls, cubes of cheeses and ham, olives, chunks of sweet pickle, or other delectible little goodies), and stick them into the tree. Put on a tray with lettuce around it. I usually make the tree a day ahead, wrap in plastic wrap, and put in cool place. I also get all the tidbits ready, and put it all together the morning of the event.

As a smaller and quicker alternative to the styrofoam tree, use an attractive head of cabbage or cauliflower as a base for your skewers. You could also use a large winter squash. just cut a piece off the bottom so that it will stand securely.

It occurs to me that since you're living in a Moslem country, you may have difficulty finding ham. You can substitute whatever meats you have available.