Need savory foods or fruit ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

expatgirl

Master Chef
Hi, Fellow Cooks!

I need your help--Monday, Nov. 20, is my turn to hostess Coffee Mornings--this city has so few expats that even some ambassadors' wives attend these. (panic--no they are really very nice) I have plenty of sweet ideas to prepare (even though few eat them) and want to include some savory dishes (like quiche) and fruit. Any ideas or recipes or links would so much be appreciated. Coffee, tea, and juice will be served. Thanks!:chef:

How about what my family calls torta. It's simply a mixture of veggies and eggs, what we do is saute onions a little garlic in evoo, add your favortie things, we like diced pre-cooked potato,zucchini, asparagus, artichoke hearts, finely chopped spinach,salt,pepper, marjoram this is mixed into the eggs with a good bit of fresh grated parmesan, instead of putting it into a skillet and cutting pie shapes to serve, you could put it into a baking dish and cut it into nice size squares. It's one I use often for all kinds of leftover veggies,at times I even use some prosciutto or pancetta ,it is hearty yet tastes just right with a cup of tea or coffe and fruit or even a nice green salad and a crossiant. Just an idea hope it helps:)

kadesma

expatgirl, what is the weather etc like where you are right now? Are you after thinngs served room temperature, warm or cold?

Kadesma -your torta sounds excellent. I definitely think slices of things rather than individual thingys are more morningish, sort of contrived casual! But keep the slices small, I think squares, or retangular fingers are spot on. The only other thing I would say, from my experience, is that presentation is all, plates groups together look more bountiful, and a couple of small vases of flowers next to the food complete the picture, real napkins etc. I think these occasions are one of the few where the impression is as imporatnt as the company- I am sure you will be great.

Something I discovered, quite by accident, might be a useful addition. I had some tortilla wraps left over at the end of the week. I "sandwiched" two together with grated cheese and fried them (dry) in a frying pan - turning over as the cheese started to melt. As they cool, they go really crispy and are easy to "slice". For more exotic variations, you could add peppers; onions; mushrooms or ham. The variations are only as limited as the imagination! But even just with just cheese alone, they are really delicious and quite unusual. Hope this helps!

Footsteps, what you discovered was a Quesadilla - they are so good!!!

expat - here's an idea for savory that we love - from an old hometown newspaper - Sac Bee.

* Exported from MasterCook *
HOT WALNUT-LEEK TART

Serving Size : 12

Muenster Pastry:
1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp red pepper -- (cayenne)
1/4 c shortening -- plus 2 Tablespoons
1/2 c Muenster cheese -- shredded (2 oz.)
4 Tbsps cold water -- (or 5 Tablespoons)
Filling:
2 med leeks -- trimmed, cleaned & cut into thin slices
2 garlic cloves -- minced
1 1/2 c half and half
1/4 c olive oil
1 1/2 c walnuts
2 tsps hot pepper sauce
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 c Muenster cheese -- shredded (4 oz.)

For Pastry: Combine flour, salt & pepper. Cut in shortening & cheese w/a pastry blender till the mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle water evenly over surface & stir w/fork till dry ingredients are moistened. Shape dough into a ball & chill.

Roll Pasty to 1/8" thickness on a lightly floured surface. Fit into an 11" tart pan. Trim edge of pastry, leaving a 1/2" overhang. Fold overhang under & flute. Line pastry w/waxed (or parchment) paper & fill w/pie weights. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 min. Cool completely. Remove pie weights & paper. Set aside.

For Filling: Saute leeks & garlic in olive oil for 8 minutes or till leeks are golden brown. Remove from heat & cool completely. Spread leek mixture into pastry shell. Combine 1/2 & 1/2, walnuts, hot pepper sauce, salt & eggs in a blender. Process till smooth. Pour mixture over leeks. Sprinkle w/cheese. Bake at 350 for 35 min., or till puffed & golden brown. Let stand 10 min. before slicing.

I love the Alsatian Tarte Flambee... Caramelized onions in a custard kinda like a quiche.

Or a Provencal Pissaladiere Nicoise... again, caramelized onions, with anchovies and shredded cheese on puff pastry, rolled thin. kinda like a pizza only different.

I imagine it is getting quite chilly over there... I think what the Napolitanos call "Gattò" (their take of the French word "Gatteau") may be comforting. It is like a potato quiche, mix shredded potatoes, onions, pancetta or smoked bacon with egg and your choice of cheese (which melts well with heat), add it in a brisèe crust and bake. Hearty, warm and delicious.. If you are interested I will get the detailed recipe for ya.:)

Also, just another suggestion - what about a savory palmier?

pesto
rosemary and asiago
sundried tomato

Quiche sounds like a great idea though - easy to prepare and room temp isn't bad.

Heck, everyone's suggestions sound heavenly! I think they ALL need to be posted :pig:

We've done this several time, while kind of messy to work with, it's very pretty on a glass pedestal surrounded by some tiny fern and flowers, plus it tastes so good. cut the top off a cantaloupe or honeydew melon, scoop out the seeds and pulp. Dry the melon well, then frost the outside with cream cheese then roll in coconut. Stand up right on serving dish and fill the hollow with your favorite diced fruit that you've added some either whipped cream to or some lime and honey which is our favorite. Cut as you would a cake or pie and serve with the diced fruit, make sure the fruit is nice and cold around here it's gone in a flash.

kadesma

I used to make small puffs from choux pastry and fill them with chicken salad. I don't know what you have available there, but lobster salad would also be nice.
I also used to order "Silver Dollar Rolls" from the bakery...they're just miniature buns...spread them with mayo and/or mustard, put a few bits of ham on them, a tiny leaf of pretty lettuce, and serve on a tray.
Don't forget finger sandwiches. There are lots of fillings you can use...I like a mix braunsweiger, cream cheese and sliced olives.
If you really want to wow them, make an hors d'ouevres tree. I pin leaf lettuce on a styrofoam cone with tiny bits of florist wire bent like hairpins, then skewer assorted tidbits (pineaple chunks, melon balls, cubes of cheeses and ham, olives, chunks of sweet pickle, or other delectible little goodies), and stick them into the tree. Put on a tray with lettuce around it. I usually make the tree a day ahead, wrap in plastic wrap, and put in cool place. I also get all the tidbits ready, and put it all together the morning of the event.

As a smaller and quicker alternative to the styrofoam tree, use an attractive head of cabbage or cauliflower as a base for your skewers. You could also use a large winter squash. just cut a piece off the bottom so that it will stand securely.

It occurs to me that since you're living in a Moslem country, you may have difficulty finding ham. You can substitute whatever meats you have available.

Last edited:
Footsteps to Oxford said:
Love the choux buns with chicken salad. I must try this. Sounds wonderful - perhaps a good starter for a Christmas Meal?

At Christmastime I add Cranberry Chutney (Major Grey brand) to my chicken salad - about 1 TBS or so per cup of chicken salad.

Something my family likes that is easy to make and different is breakfast pizza. I make my regular pizza dough and prebake it. Then scramble eggs to the just past runny stage. spread on the prebaked dough and add your choice of sausages, meats, veggies, and cheeses. Make sure you precook your meats! Pop in the oven to heat until cheese is melted and bubbly. Slice and serve. You can make alot of the things a day ahead and then just assemble the morning of your event.

crepe dishes are easy to prepare well in advance. bind whatever you have at hand for filling in a thick bechamel, roll up the crepes and place in a casserole, cover with wrap and place in fridge. top with a cheese sauce and bake till warmed through.
or...
chop up some well-drained spinach and combine with cream cheese. layering the crepes alternately with a thin spread of this and maybe something like smoked salmon, build up a "cake" shape. serve in wedges either warmed or at room temp. a bearnaise would go well.

if this is happening at your home, how about some fresh rolls or bread sticks pulled hot right out of the oven? or biscuits. have them on a baking sheet all ready to pop in the oven.
icon12.gif

Kansasgirl has a Bacon Pull-Apart Bread that's different.

My old time favorite brunch casserole is below that. EVERYONE always wants the recipe for that!

Lee

Bacon Pull-Apart Bread - kansasgirl

12 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 c Parmesan cheese, fresh grated
1 small onion, chopped finely
3 cans buttermilk biscuits, each biscuit cut into quarters
1/2 cup butter, melted
Fresh pepper to taste
1 c Cheddar cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 10 in Bundt pan.

1.Combine bacon, Parmesan cheese, onion and fresh pepper; set aside.

2.Dip each biscuit piece into butter. Place 1/3 of biscuit pieces in the bottom of the Bundt, and then sprinkle half of bacon mixture over biscuits. Sprinkle with 1/2 the cheddar.

3.Repeat layering one more time and then end with a layer of biscuits; brush tops with butter.

4.Bake for 40 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool on a wire rack and then invert onto a serving platter. Serve immediately.

BRUNCH EGGS
16 SLICES OF SANDWICH BREAD, TRIMMED

1 LB OF SLICED HAM BROKEN IN PIECES

16 SLICES OF CHEESE – 8 SWISS AND 8 AMERICAN

½ tsp. ONION SALT

½ tsp. DRY MUSTARD

7 EGGS

2 CUPS OF MILK

2 CUPS OF CORN FLAKES

½ TO ¾ STICK OF MELTED BUTTER OR MARGARINE

Butter 13x9x2 baking pan. Layer ½ the bread slices, half the ham, 4 slices of the American and 4 slices of the Swiss cheese; repeat layering.

Mix eggs, onion salt, dry mustard and milk. Pour over the top. Let stand overnight, (preferable), or for a few hours.

Mix corn flakes in melted butter/margarine and spread on the top of the dish.

Bake 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until top is golden brown.

(Note: You can halve this recipe and bake it in a square brownie pan)

Footsteps to Oxford said:
Hi QSis - I love the sound of your bacon bread but can you tell me what the equivalent of buttermilk biscuits might be in the UK? There are so many tasty ideas on this topic. I am becoming addicted!!

www.footstepstooxford.co.uk

american biscuits are like scones, but without sugar or eggs. they're quite easy to make. you can be eating them up well within an hour of starting them (with practice, about 1/2 hr or so). regular milk works just as fine as buttermilk.

4 c flour
2 heaping T baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 c butter
1 1/2 c milk

combine dry ingredients. cut in butter until the largest pieces are about the size of a pea. add milk all at once and fold in with a fork until dough just comes together. turn out onto well floured surface. give 2 or 3 gentle kneads to form a ball. pat out to about 1/2 to 3/4 inches. cut out to 2 1/2 or 3 inch circles. place touching in a baking pan with 1 or 2 inch walls. bake in preheated 400 or 425 degree farenheit (you'll have to do the math yourself, it's a hot oven, or see link below) for about 12 to 15 minutes.

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/resources/

icon12.gif

Last edited:
Wow, y'all are great-----so many ideas and you have my tastebuds tingling and my fingers itching to get into the kitchen!!! In reply to some queries I'm planning to serve both warm and at room temps and it will be at my apartment. And yes it is getting colder though not as cold as last year. Last year the river was frozen solid at this time and today it's sparkling blue. And yes, Urmaniac I would love more details on your recipe. I have this whole next week off except for Tuesday and Thursday where I volunteer teach at the international school and want to spend time making up some of your wonderful ideas. Yes, I will have to make substitutions----don't know if I can get Muenster cheese here but I'm sure there are good substitutions--they do have wonderful imported Dutch gouda which I substitute for cheddar. Kazakhstan is basically a Muslim country but it is easy to find good bacon and ham here and of course the imported smoked salmon is to die for. Sorry I have not commented before now but had to leave Astana right after I posted and just got back today. Many, many thanks for your ideas and help. I agree with having real napkins and nice table arrangement. The "snack tree" sounds wonderful as a main attraction and though I've not seen styrofoam here we definitely have plenty of cabbage and cauliflower!!! Sposiba! :):):)

Back
Top Bottom