"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 06-03-2005, 02:39 PM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
that beef in zinfandel sauce sounds pretty amazing... but I doubt I could get ahold of some zinfandel in the next few days... you see i'm not exactly 21 yet, so that makes cooking with wines a tad more difficult. I think i'll end up doing rib-eyes or filet mignon, she loves those, and I haven't been able to make steaks since last summer. I think i'll be doing a cheesecake for dessert, possibly with some fresh fruit, and I'm thinking some sort of shrimp appetizer... not sure what though.

Old 06-03-2005, 03:25 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Besides the steaks, what exactly does she like to eat? That will help us help you narrow it down.

Does she like seafood? If so, what kind? Shellfish? Fish?

What types of meats does she like best? Any particular cuts?

Old 06-03-2005, 03:33 PM   #13
Hospitality Queen

I love steak that's been stuffed with bleu cheese, myself.

Here's something else to think about: presentation. I'd say go to a closeout type store and purchase 2 pretty matching plates, a tablecloth with 2 coordinating napkins and 2 really pretty glasses. That's not too expensive, as it's only for 2, not service for 8. Put fresh flowers on the table too. If you choose to use candles, make sure they aren't scented, as they'll no doubt clash with your food's aroma.
Also, make sure you have some pretty background music. Conversation is always better when the music is instrumental only.

Also, a bowl of fresh berries is always a winner, especially if you "dress it up" with fresh edible flowers such as pansies or nasturtiums. (Just make sure they've never been sprayed with pesticide). Also, get a pesticide-free pink rose, carefully wash it and remove it's petals. Put 1 or 2 petals in each section of your ice cube trays and fill with water. These look beautiful when floating in sparkling water.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:22 PM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
thanks for the presentation tips jkath!

Here's my plan so far:

I picked up some gorgeous rib-eyes today, and that will be our entree, along with some mixed veggies. For dessert, I'm going to go with a slightly modified version of Sunburst Cheesecake, posted by middie some time ago. Basically the only thing im changing is the glaze topping, for which I want to make my own strawberry pr raspberry topping. I'd prefer if it was more of a light syrup however... how would I go about making a strawberry/raspberry topping? As for the appetizer, I'm still no sure about that... I'm thinking something light though. We stopped at the grocery today, and I asked her to pick up some shrimp for me, but she picked up frozen fried popcorn shrimp..LOL. So a shrimp appetizer is out. I have some salmon here, but I dunno what I could do with salmon. I also have some pork I was planning to do terriyaki with... she loves my terriyaki pork, and ideas wth that perhaps? My easy out is a recipe that i saw here a bit ago... pepperoni squares. I kow it's really not fancy or special, but they're small, and she would LOVE them.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:29 PM   #15
Master Chef

to make a strawberry or raspberry topping, college cook, just throw the fruit, water and sugar to taste into a pot. bring to a boil and whisk in some cornstarch mixed with water, allow to simmer, and viola! fruit topping!
Old 06-04-2005, 12:39 AM   #16
Hospitality Queen

Regarding the pepperoni squares:
if she would love them, make them!
Old 06-04-2005, 05:40 AM   #17
Head Chef

I agree with jkath re the pepperoni squares. I hope she appreciates the effort you're putting into this. She is one lucky gal.