Need to prepare a large amount of food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sidefx

Assistant Cook
I cook very frequently for 1 or 2, but I am going to a pot luck dinner which I'll have to prepare enough food for 12. I'm not used to dealing with making this much food.

Does anyone have any suggestions of things or ways to cook? I was thinking of serving chicken, but any good idea is appreciated.

Steve-

I cook very frequently for 1 or 2, but I am going to a pot luck dinner which I'll have to prepare enough food for 12. I'm not used to dealing with making this much food.

Does anyone have any suggestions of things or ways to cook? I was thinking of serving chicken, but any good idea is appreciated.

Steve-

I made this recently for a potluck dinner. Everyone loved it.

2 lb. ground beef
1 lb. penne or rotini
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
2 jars spaghetti sauce (I used Bertolli tomato and basil)
1 tsp. dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, brown beef over medium heat. Drain and set aside. Heat olive oil in pot, add veggies and saute 5 minutes. Stir in beef, spaghetti sauce, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer while cooking pasta.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil (at least 4 quarts of water). Add 1 tbsp. salt, stir, and add pasta. Cook 8 minutes or so, then taste. It should be a little more than al dente (slightly underdone). Transfer mixture to a large baking dish (I use a Pampered Chef 14-cup baking dish). Top with cheese. Bake for 1 hour.

I am not sure if you are following a type of cuisine or it's more anything goes type of a potluck.

I would say a Chicken Enchilada casserole is a good bet and a sure crowd pleaser.

You will need flour tortillas (any size).
Cooked Chicken (for 12 people I would get two large packs - family size of breast and cut them up into bite size peices before cooking): I like to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts and cook them up with onions, tomatoes, cumin, corrainder, chili powder, garlic. Once it's all cooked up and nice and can stir in some cilantro. If you don't have a lot of spices on hand use a few packs of taco seasonings
Next you will need Bottles of Enchilada Sauce (I like red ones you can use green ones if you like I would say about 3). Pour them into the chicken mixture and combine
Lots of cheddar cheese (pre-shredded)
Chopped green onions and black olives

To assemble. Use one of the large foil pans. Spray some canola oil or spread it. Next put the tortillas down. Spread the chicken over that and follow by cheese and another layer of tortillas, chicken and cheese and repeat until it's all gone.

Sprinkle green onions and olives. Cover and Bake for an hour at 300 degrees until nice and bubbly.

Serve with sour cream

I also think a chicken curry with white rice is a great dish to serve. I am not sure about your experience with cooking curry type dishes. If you are game post back and I will post an easy recipe which is authentic and not very spicy.

Steve, can you make lasagna? Perfect for a pot luck.

Also, any casserole will do. Also, depending on the invitees, chili.

I also think a chicken curry with white rice is a great dish to serve. I am not sure about your experience with cooking curry type dishes. If you are game post back and I will post an easy recipe which is authentic and not very spicy.

Actually I was thinking of something almost exactly like that, what do you have in mind?

O.K. here is an easy way to make it and the best part - you can make the curry ahead of time and put the entire pot in the freezer if you have space. You can just thaw it in the refrigerator, put it in a pot and no one will know it was cooked ahead of time. The same way you can make this a day ahead and leave it in the refrigerator. It tastes better the next day.

Chicken - I would buy 2-3 whole chickens and then cut them up in small peices, discard the skin and trim the fat, wash and reserve it.

2 large onions finely chopped

6 cloves of garlic and 1 small stick of ginger minced (or chop it super fine)

1 medium can of tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes

Spices - If you can grind it fresh it would be good. I would take 1 tbsp of cumin seeds, 1 tbsp of corrainder seeds and 3 or so dried red chilis (arabol) and dry roast them in a skillet and then dry grind them. If you are not that adventurous then buy some good quality curry powder and use a couple of tbsps of that

1 tbsp of paprika for color

1 can of coconut milk (unsweetened)

Oil - 2-3tbsps

salt to taste

1 cup of water

Cilantro for garnish

In a pan add the oil and saute the onions until golden brown. Add the ginger, garlic, spices and salt to taste and saute them for a minute. Next add the chicken and saute it for 5 minutes or so. Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, a cup of water, cover and let it all cook on low for 30 minutes or so. The chicken will release a lot of water. Now uncover and let it all cook for another 30-40 minutes or until the chicken cooks and the gravy thickens.

Garnish with cilantro

Serve with basmati rice. I like to make mine with a packet of frozen peas and carrots (available in your freezer section). Here is how I make it to jazz it up a bit

Wash the rice several times in cold water and then allow it to soak in water for an hour or so

In a pan add some butter and once it's melted add some cumin seeds, a couple of sticks of cinnamon. Next add the frozen peas and carrots and rice and stir it all to combine. Add some salt and water (water should be one and a half times the rice - so 1 cup of rice, 1.5 cups of water). Let the rice come to a boil. Stir it once, Cover, Reduce the heat and let it cook for 30 minutes or so.

Serve it together.

I personally would go with a take on garlic's idea. I'd make a tomato sauce from scratch (couple cans of good tomatoes, garlic, onions, oregano, basil if you can get it fresh, tomato paste to thicken if it seems too thin). If your group is vegetarian, stop there, but a pound of ground beef and/or some Italian sausage. Then the appropriate amount of pasta. A couple of bags of that pre-mixed lettuce with olive oil and vinegar. A lot of grated parm or romano cheese on the side for both. Then, since my friends and family aren't big desert eaters, I'd buy a half-gallon of ice cream or a frozen cheesecake. Voila!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom