"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 10-31-2006, 02:44 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
When I was a kid we usually had roast beef and scalloped potatoes for Christmas dinner... hmmmmmmmmm hadn't thought of that in a long time.

My cousin Barbara did Christmas dinner for many years and made something different almost every year until she hit on a crown roast of pork! Everyone loved that so much it became a staple. She stuffed the middle with a bread stuffing embellished with apples.... really yummy!

Old 10-31-2006, 02:51 PM   #12
Master Chef

Christmas for my family - both while growing up & now that I make it myself has ALWAYS revolved around the traditional roast goose. To be honest - for me Thanksgiving is turkey time - I don't need another one one month later - lol!!

As for accompaniments, we keep them traditional & simple. Butter-braised brussel sprouts, Czech bread dumplings, sauerkraut, & Port wine gravy.

Granted, not what one would probably consider a "traditional" American Christmas - but delicious & different just the same.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:54 PM   #13
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
We do a standing rib or tenderloin roast with bearnaise sauce. Mashed or baked potato, green beans.

Desserts vary from year to year but I like to do a cheesecake topped with a fruit sauce. My favorite is blueberry.
I'm with you on the standing rib roast (but served au jus; the bernaise is perfect with the beef tenderloin!)

I love mashed sweet potatoes (aka Yams, although true Yams aren't available in the U.S.) or a combination of mashed sweet potatoes and mashed white potatoes - the "floury" ones, not the waxy ones, if that helps anyone. And I like them savoury, not trying to taste like a pumpkin or sweet potato pie.

By the time Thanksgiving leftovers are used up I'm completely sick of turkey. I don't even like turkey to begin with and usually go with a couple of small stuffed game hens.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:56 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Usually do a rib roast. Mashed potatoes & celery root, turnips, asparagus (if available), beef gravy, yeast rolls and someone usually brings a big green salad. Mincemeat pie, apple pie. One year we did a beautiful pork loin and put a cornbread/sausage stuffing in apples and baked them along with the roast. Very yummy.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:46 PM   #15
Senior Cook

We do turkey and ham
Cornbread dressing
yellow squash casserole
sweet potatoes
creamed corn
green beans (not the casserole)
asparagus and english pea casserole
yeast rolls
fudge pie
coconut cake
ambrosia

When we go to my ml's house it is always different, but they never have turkey.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:35 PM   #16
Master Chef

Same here........we have Turkey at Thanksgiving so we I fix a Baked Ham for Christmas along with the sides:

Dressing.........sometimes sage and sometimes oyster.....just depends on my mood at the time.
Mashed Potatoes with Homemade Chicken & Noodles
Candied Sweet Potatoes
Gravy for those that like it over their dressing
Green Beans with Bacon & Onions
Scalloped Corn
Deviled Eggs
Dinner Rolls from a local resturant famous for their rolls
Another side.........I usually thumb through cookbooks, magazines or look here or others sited for ideas.
Cranberry Sauce
Chocolate Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Another dessert....I ususally thumb through cookbooks, magazines or look here or other sites and get inspired.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:17 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Most people I know have Ham on Christmas. We do a ham and some sort of potato casserole, maybe scalloped . . . I do a garlic mashed pototo with goat cheese gratin, green beans and apple pie.