"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 06-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #11
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I always have guests for Thanksgiving and assign them to do the pies. One year a friend showed up and was almost in tears because her new recipe (pumpkin chiffon pie) didn't set and couldn't be sliced. I just laughed and tasted it, it was good. Grabbed some wine glasses and the whipped cream and made sort of individual trifles. It was a great hit and we all had a laugh.
Here in the UK there was an advert that showed a destroyed cake, and bailey's being used in the way you described.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalWriter View Post
Here in the UK there was an advert that showed a destroyed cake, and bailey's being used in the way you described.
I'm not sure which leetel gray cells were working in my mind that day, just that layers like that are so easy. I do (and over the years have) had English friends, and the one I have here loves my trifles. "They're not at all traditional, Claire, but yours are better and lighter." So that's where I got the idea of taking a failing cake or pie, layering it with lots of whipped topping (I'll confess to using cool whip) and booze and making everyone happy!

Old 06-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #13
Head Chef

We always had two staple sides. One was wild rice with pimentos, celery, sauteed diced onion, and walnuts. The celery slices are cooked with the rice. The other ingredients are added just before service.

Another was a cauliflower salad. Cauliflower cut up small, marinated overnight with celery and green olives, in oil and vinegar with lots of garlic.

Also, a cranberry relish of chopped cranberries, chopped orange, chopped walnuts, sugared in the cranberry juices.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #14
Head Chef

Tradition in our house always included peas ,sauerkraut, and glazed sweet potatoes
Sweet potato pie for desert. Don't forget the whipped cream on top
Old 06-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
We always had two staple sides. One was wild rice with pimentos, celery, sauteed diced onion, and walnuts. The celery slices are cooked with the rice. The other ingredients are added just before service.

Another was a cauliflower salad. Cauliflower cut up small, marinated overnight with celery and green olives, in oil and vinegar with lots of garlic.

Also, a cranberry relish of chopped cranberries, chopped orange, chopped walnuts, sugared in the cranberry juices.
That cauliflower salad sounds really yummy. I'm going to have to give that a try.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #16
Cook

I have settled for Turkey (this is a must) & Goose for the main meat. I know I'll be fed up with turkey come the new year, so will provide a change for the Brits.
I've settled on Roasted Veg Galette for a vegeterian main meal (anyone is vegeratian, but can deal with that at a later date.

Just need to decide on just how many side dishes I really need to have alongside.

I have also found a import store for american goods, and they have a store near Manchester, so maybe I could presude someone to come on a trip with me.

What's is Grits? &
Old 06-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalWriter View Post
I have settled for Turkey (this is a must) & Goose for the main meat. I know I'll be fed up with turkey come the new year, so will provide a change for the Brits.
I've settled on Roasted Veg Galette for a vegeterian main meal (anyone is vegeratian, but can deal with that at a later date.

Just need to decide on just how many side dishes I really need to have alongside.

I have also found a import store for american goods, and they have a store near Manchester, so maybe I could presude someone to come on a trip with me.

What's is Grits? &
Similar to Polenta in texture. It's also made from corn, but is processed from Hominy. Wiki: Hominy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that will explain it a bit better than I can.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

At the risk of offending our Southern friends, I do not care for grits. Or polenta. Or cornbread.

Turkey, gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, something with green beans, pumpkin pie, and cranberry sauce, these seem to be the most universal American dishes served at Thanksgiving.

Make sure you make lots of gravy, a pitcher of it sounds like a good idea! Biggest complaint we've always had, we ran out of gravy!
Old 06-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
No offence intended, but goose doesn't really belong in a traditional Thanksgiving supper.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:56 AM   #20
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
No offence intended, but goose doesn't really belong in a traditional Thanksgiving supper.
No offence taken . Goose is for the Brits that will be there. We're not used to having two big turkey dinners, within a month of one another. So if they want another meat, they've got one. Or maybe something like a game meat be more suitable.

The menu at this stage isn't set in stone. I'd rather have all bases covered at this point, then remove as necessary.

Though I've kinda realised that the starters might not be so suitable for the kids that will be there. Will need to check on their ages.

Tags
thanksgiving