"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 12-21-2011, 03:53 AM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara

Me too. I used to get a champagne headache that felt like an ice pick stabbed into my brain. It's one night I NEVER go out. Amatuer night, people drinking and driving that don't usually do that. Nope, not me. I go to bed at a reasonable hour and wake up when the noise starts, wish myself a Happy New Year, and go back to sleep.
Never had a hangover in my life. It's gonna be my 20th birthday and everyone wants to take me out for a drink. I don't celebrate new year, just my birthday being on the 1st Jan.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Finger food. Not sure what yet--but probably a variation of a smorgåsbord but will include spring rolls and other "non-traditional" things re: a
smorgåsbord.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #23
Sous Chef

I'm planning a cassoulet.

I've bought 3 ducks for Christmas dinner, and I'm going to serve the breasts with a dried cherry gastrique. I'll confit the legs & thighs to use for cassoulet on New Year's Day.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:37 PM   #24
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Black eyed peas and ham, cornbread with honey butter.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #25
Master Chef

Add to the list of finger food spread we're laying out on the dining room table I'm grilling a batch of hot wings rubbed with some Habanero Death Dust I was given for X'mas.
I'll also fire up the pizza oven outside for some ambiance and for those who want to roast marshmallows, mochis, or whatever.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
New Year's Eve I am going to a pot luck.
New Year's Day- Pork Roast, Sauerkraut, Mashed Potatoes, Black-eyed Peas and other veggies to be determined later. Maybe Honey Glazed Carrots and Lemon Peppered Green Beans.

After reading other posts, I have decided on Carrots and Kale. Corn Bread sounds good but then so does Rye Bread. I am still up in the air about the bread.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
After reading other posts, I have decided on Carrots and Kale. Corn Bread sounds good but then so does Rye Bread. I am still up in the air about the bread.
You could have cornbread and rye. Cornbread and kale and black eyed peas are traditional together. Everything sure sounds yummy!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Out to dinner early New Year's Eve. Then back to our place for champagne and a belated Christmas celebration.

New Years Day we'll probably have some combination of things we traditionally do. Shrimp cocktail, marinated herring, etc.

Our plans changed. We're not going out to dinner. I made a batch of marinated mushrooms today using FRESH crimini. I also plan on making a batch of pickled shrimp according to a recipe posted here. We have champagne and some other finger foods as well. Some tempura shrimp, scallops wrapped in bacon and who knows what else.

And if some of this spills over into Sunday, that will be some tailgating food for the last game of the regular game.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:10 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

we're going to the devils' game with a couple of nieces and nephews, then out for spanish/portugese with everyone.

i know for a fact that camarones al ajillo will be on the menu, as well and paella, lobsters, and chuletas.

i don't know what everyone else is having...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:18 AM   #30
Head Chef

Shrimp in a garlic/butter/white wine sauce with brown rice and steamed asparagus. Homemade Devil's Food Cake with dark chocolate ganache for dessert, plus, I'm making bittersweet chocolate truffles.

Tags
menu