OK.. Family Reunion time.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
We haven't had one for a long time. There are no guidelines on what to bring. This is a pitch in..

Any suggestions. There are usually tons of salads and desserts at these things. I am not sure if there will be room to reheat things etc.

I was thinking of roasting some type of beast and slicing it, maybe making my cole slaw... any other suggestions???

Roasted beast sounds good...!

baked beans
fruit tray
Mac salad
Deviled eggs

At our reunion, I try to do 2 things...

1. do something for my elders. Most of my Aunts and Uncles are into their 80's now, so I try to make a nice meat dish for them....

something easy to eat and not too spicy. Slow cooked meat balls in sauce, or Ribs in sauce are easy on Elder pallets, again, not too spicy.. a crock pot works well.

in a pinch a big bucket of Kentucky Fried Original is always liked as it's soft too.

2. celebrate your family's Ethnic Heratige...

my parents are German/ Czech Texan farmers..

so I make a big bowl of Saurkraut Salad...

though my young cousins and children may not touch it..It's always a hit, and my Aunts and Uncles love it!..

I think it brings back fond memories... that always makes me feel good..

Eric, Austin Tx

Jeff, for these kinds of things, traditionally the women decide. We will bring salads and desserts forever. Roast beef or ham is a good idea. I'd put them in those little rolls we get at wedding receptions sometimes - Are they called silver dollar rolls? Add some mustard or cheese or whatever you're in the mood for. I think they'd be a welcome addition to the salad-dessert menu.

Just a thought.

I think you should smoke a couple pork butts. The recipe I have for a BBQ sauce also is the sauce you use for the coleslaw. They can also be done in the oven - just wont' have that smoked flavor but they are still awesome!!!!!

Let me know if you want it - just PM me.

I was thinking pulled pork, too, ke. Saucing it and keeping it warm in a crockpot or two.

But I do love the ham idea, too. I have a recipe for double-smoked ham (you have a smoker, right Jeff?) that is easy and delicious and would be a big hit sliced thin.

Lee

Hey Jeff...I usually take a whole, bone-in ham to these kinds of functions that I run through the BBQ pit... I'm lucky to get home with the ham bone to make beans and rice with...it goes so fast! If you think you may be interested... PM me for details!!

I'll let you all know what I ended up with on Monday. It all depends on whats on sale. My plan is a bone in ham at this point... If they have pork loin on sale again, I might have to switch to that. I just can't get enough of that stuff..

I thought about the pulled pork, and I have a fantastic recipe for that. But I don't think I want to work that hard.

Bring a large jug of homemade root beer. That is always a hit at our family reunions.

good thing I didn't go with the ham.. There was a lot of ham brought by others. Pork loins were on sale again. I picked up some apple wood chips, soaked them made a foil container and laid them just off the burner in the gas grill.

I fired up the grill, seasoned and cooked the loins for 15 minutes at 500F then backed it off to 240 and let them cook to just below 145F on the meat thermometer. I pulled the loin off and allow it to rest for 20 minutes.

The smell of the apple wood about made me drool while cooking. The flavor was fantastic. It smoldered just right. The smoke flavor was able to get clear into the meat, making this great light smoke flavor plus the flavor of just grilling the meat.

It was a huge hit. Luckily... I cooked more than I took so I have some for next weeks lunches...YUMM......:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom