"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 12-18-2008, 09:08 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I was gonna say spanikopita but go figure pds' got to it before me.
:)

Old 12-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #12
Head Chef

Well, deviled eggs are always a crowd-pleaser!

Lee

Old 12-19-2008, 12:52 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Belgan endive leaves with some blue cheese and roasted walnuts, some dried apricots, stuffed with almond mixed into mascarpone then drizzle with lavender honey, make a curry mustard for dipping cucumber sticks in or a tomato mayo for carrot sticks, cauliflowers dipped into a tartare sauce the sauce is just a mix of cooked egg yolk dijon mustard minced chives, oil, lemon juice shallots or a small onion minced salt and pepper..
Take a sheet of puff pastry and cut into 20 squares, then prick with a fork and put on a cookie sheet lined with parchment, cover with 2nd sheet of parchment weigh down with dried beans and bake 15-20 min. while baking crumble some blue cheese about 2 cups peel and slice the 2 pears into thin slices remove the pastry and cool just before serving sprinkle on some of the cheese put under broiler and melt the cheese then top with a pear slice and serve.Cut some puff pastry into 40 circles , make a anchovy cream and spread on pastry dampen edges, fold over and then seal. brush with egg wash and bake15-20 min at 400 enjoy
kadesma
Old 12-19-2008, 08:44 AM   #14
Head Chef

Our food service uses this at receptions and they are fantastic..

Athens Frozen Spanakopita at FoodServiceDirect!

Very flaky. filling is just right.

I know a case is a lot, but they are frozen.....
Old 12-19-2008, 08:57 AM   #15
Head Chef

Mini meat balls: Can be made ahead of time. Use whatever meat you like, season it with any seasonings you like. I like to use finely chopped onions, cilantro, mint, cumin powder, ground fresh ginger and ground corrainder along with chili powder and let it all marinate. Make into small meatballs and bake. You can store them in the freezer, pop them in the oven to warm an hour before the party and serve with dipping sauce of your choice.

Chicken Salad Sandwiches: Cook the chicken ahead of time with some slivers of garlic and ginger and a tiny bit of salt. shred of chop the cooked chicken finely (discard bones and skin - I normally use boneless skinless chicken breasts). Mix it with mayo, mustard, freshly chopped parsley and add some chopped almonds or walnuts. Get white bread, remove the crust, cut into triangles, fill with salad and place on a platter.

Skewers with cheese and fruit: Get small bamboo skewers and thread them with cheese and fruit of your choice (I like cheddar, apple) or swiss with pear. You can also make a savory one with fresh mozarella and cherry tomatoes and olives.

Some type of bean dip: I love the layered dips. They are always a super big hit at any party. You can use whatever you like in your layers. I like to use cooked and drained ground beef as one layer, salsa as a second layer avacados (mashed with lime) as a third layer, sour cream as a fourth, Shredded Cheese as fifth and then a sprinkling of lettuce and black olives. I never have any left overs.

Desserts - I normally buy readymade since we are not a huge dessert eating family. I like to buy baklava and cut it into bites, brownies cut into smaller bites, icecream mostly homemade with almonds, pistachios and saffron (we call it Kulfi).

All the best.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:57 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Sweet and Spicy meatballs
Cheeseburger Dip
Mini Burgers
pigs in a blanket
Smokies in Bacon
Jalapeno Cheese Dip
Clam Dip
Chips
Atomic Buffalo Turds
Old 12-19-2008, 07:45 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

put a bar of cream cheese on small serving plate. pour pepper jelly on top. serve with fancy crackers. very simple and people love it. or could use cranberry whole sauce.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:36 PM   #18
Certified Cake Maniac

How about my cranberry brie wontons, or I have a great recipe for spanakpita rolls, sort of the size of mini sausage rolls and cut the same way - made with phyllo.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:51 PM   #19
Master Chef

Here is a great recipe from Jkath, which might be a good substitute for the cocktail sausages.

Jack Daniels Kielbasa

1 kielbasa (the real stuff, no turkey, no light....)

Boil in water 20 minutes to get the fat out. Dry on paper towels & cool. Cut into large-ish bite sized pieces.

In a pan, stir 3/4 cup ketchup, 3/4 cup light brown sugar & 1/2 cup Jack Daniels. Cook on low to med-low. When it's bubbly, add kielbasa. Cook, stirring about every minute or two for at least 45 minutes. (You don't want to scorch it) so it cooks down to a nice saucy consistency.

These are great appetizers. However, they are just as good if you make it the day before, keep in the fridge & then heat & serve.

Yakuta mentioned a layered dip. Here is my favorite layed bean dip.

Mexican Bean Dip

1 cup sour cream
cup mayonnaise
1 package taco seasoning
16 oz. can refried beans
1 16 oz. container guacamole or make your own
2 bunches green onions, sliced
1 4 oz. can diced green chilies
1 4 oz. can sliced black olives
3 medium tomatoes
2 cups cheese

Combine together sour cream, mayonnaise, and taco seasoning. Spread bottom of 9x9 or 13x9 inch pan with refried beans. Then layer the following ingredients: taco seasoning mixture, guacamole, green onions, green chilies, olives, tomatoes, and cheese. Chill. Serve with tortilla chips.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote