OK Foodies, here's the deal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adillo303

Head Chef
DW has decreed a "Holiday Party". The date is January 3. Hence not X-Mas or New Years.

There are a dozen people invited. We are not serving a meal, just hors deuvers, etc type of stuff. I am thinking the 3 or four tiered trays, maybe 3 or four. One deserts the other tow or three are open. Deserts Pie Suesan's chocolate cherry pastery and the raspberry cream cheese bars and something else yet to be determined.

Coctail hot dogs are in mind. A questadilla cut small, wings....

I would like some staple ideas ana maybe a "blow them away or two" If everyone attends it wail be a rare meeting of my step children and wives / girlfrined and my daughter and family. Also some folks who do not know either set of kids. I am looking for the food to kind of be the focus and rewa people together.

All ideas would be appreciated.

Thank You

AC

How about a crostini with thinly sliced beef, caramelized onions and a crumble of bleu cheese?

A corn blini with diced tomato and cilantro with a couple of black beans on top?

A very tiny new potato, halved and baked, scoop out a tiny well and fill with sour cream and top with chives or caviar or crumbled bacon?

A steamed shrimp wrapped in a snow pea with a tiny smidge of hot pepper jelly?

Endive leave with a slice of grilled pear, goat cheese and a drizzle of honey?

Crab fritter?

Dried date stuffed with boursin, wrapped in bacon and grilled?

Bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos, Meadowbrook French Onion Dip.:rolleyes:

Yeah, send them to Vera's.
Hey wait. Maybe you can hire her! Vera, you still lookin'?

Check out the appetizers that I posted. Mini quiche are easy and always yummy. So are the other things that I posted. Not hard to make, either. Crudite with spinach dip in a hollowed out pumpernickel bread is always good. Just make sure there are no double dippers. Also the hummus and other bean dips and pita. Those little meatballs everyone loves. Chicken drummettes (part of the wing). rumaki--everyone loves bacon.

As for desserts, I like to make a variety of flavors and textures: something chocolate, something with fruit, something with nuts and something like a cheesecake. It is often what fancy restaurants do.
E.g., French apple tarts, cheesecake, chocolate mousse, and the Hungarian nut horns would be nice.

Well, I think the guests are going to be pleased with what I have to work with so far. The words that I understand sound like great food. For the MANY words that I do not understand I am now going to be googleing my butt off. You all are headed in the direction that I want to go. I believe that out of the ordinary food can give a diverse group a focal point ot draw together.

P. S. If I don't screw it up I am looking forward to the experience.

Any ideas as to what I can make ahead of time and what I have to do just before?

I'm off to Google and to read about the appies posted by Susan.

Thank You all and any additions willl be appreciated.

AC

Hummus and/or baba ganoush with pitas (preferably all homemade, but you can buy pitas if you don't have time to bake them.

Mushroom caps stuffed with feta and spinach and baked.

I was gonna say spanikopita but go figure pds' got to it before me.
:)

Belgan endive leaves with some blue cheese and roasted walnuts, some dried apricots, stuffed with almond mixed into mascarpone then drizzle with lavender honey, make a curry mustard for dipping cucumber sticks in or a tomato mayo for carrot sticks, cauliflowers dipped into a tartare sauce the sauce is just a mix of cooked egg yolk dijon mustard minced chives, oil, lemon juice shallots or a small onion minced salt and pepper..
Take a sheet of puff pastry and cut into 20 squares, then prick with a fork and put on a cookie sheet lined with parchment, cover with 2nd sheet of parchment weigh down with dried beans and bake 15-20 min. while baking crumble some blue cheese about 2 cups peel and slice the 2 pears into thin slices remove the pastry and cool just before serving sprinkle on some of the cheese put under broiler and melt the cheese then top with a pear slice and serve.Cut some puff pastry into 40 circles , make a anchovy cream and spread on pastry dampen edges, fold over and then seal. brush with egg wash and bake15-20 min at 400 enjoy
kadesma

Mini meat balls: Can be made ahead of time. Use whatever meat you like, season it with any seasonings you like. I like to use finely chopped onions, cilantro, mint, cumin powder, ground fresh ginger and ground corrainder along with chili powder and let it all marinate. Make into small meatballs and bake. You can store them in the freezer, pop them in the oven to warm an hour before the party and serve with dipping sauce of your choice.

Chicken Salad Sandwiches: Cook the chicken ahead of time with some slivers of garlic and ginger and a tiny bit of salt. shred of chop the cooked chicken finely (discard bones and skin - I normally use boneless skinless chicken breasts). Mix it with mayo, mustard, freshly chopped parsley and add some chopped almonds or walnuts. Get white bread, remove the crust, cut into triangles, fill with salad and place on a platter.

Skewers with cheese and fruit: Get small bamboo skewers and thread them with cheese and fruit of your choice (I like cheddar, apple) or swiss with pear. You can also make a savory one with fresh mozarella and cherry tomatoes and olives.

Some type of bean dip: I love the layered dips. They are always a super big hit at any party. You can use whatever you like in your layers. I like to use cooked and drained ground beef as one layer, salsa as a second layer avacados (mashed with lime) as a third layer, sour cream as a fourth, Shredded Cheese as fifth and then a sprinkling of lettuce and black olives. I never have any left overs.

Desserts - I normally buy readymade since we are not a huge dessert eating family. I like to buy baklava and cut it into bites, brownies cut into smaller bites, icecream mostly homemade with almonds, pistachios and saffron (we call it Kulfi).

All the best.

Sweet and Spicy meatballs
Cheeseburger Dip
Mini Burgers
pigs in a blanket
Smokies in Bacon
Jalapeno Cheese Dip
Clam Dip
Chips
Atomic Buffalo Turds

How about my cranberry brie wontons, or I have a great recipe for spanakpita rolls, sort of the size of mini sausage rolls and cut the same way - made with phyllo.

Here is a great recipe from Jkath, which might be a good substitute for the cocktail sausages.

Jack Daniels Kielbasa

1 kielbasa (the real stuff, no turkey, no light....)

Boil in water 20 minutes to get the fat out. Dry on paper towels & cool. Cut into large-ish bite sized pieces.

In a pan, stir 3/4 cup ketchup, 3/4 cup light brown sugar & 1/2 cup Jack Daniels. Cook on low to med-low. When it's bubbly, add kielbasa. Cook, stirring about every minute or two for at least 45 minutes. (You don't want to scorch it) so it cooks down to a nice saucy consistency.

These are great appetizers. However, they are just as good if you make it the day before, keep in the fridge & then heat & serve.

Yakuta mentioned a layered dip. Here is my favorite layed bean dip.

Mexican Bean Dip

1 cup sour cream
½ cup mayonnaise
1 package taco seasoning
16 oz. can refried beans
1 16 oz. container guacamole or make your own
2 bunches green onions, sliced
1 4 oz. can diced green chilies
1 4 oz. can sliced black olives
3 medium tomatoes
2 cups cheese

Combine together sour cream, mayonnaise, and taco seasoning. Spread bottom of 9x9 or 13x9 inch pan with refried beans. Then layer the following ingredients: taco seasoning mixture, guacamole, green onions, green chilies, olives, tomatoes, and cheese. Chill. Serve with tortilla chips.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom