Pi Day!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kathleen, I was just crushing a carton from Aldi beef broth...and the back of the box has a recipe for "Cranberry Beef Stew"! I suppose you could make the gravy thicker, or use less of it, with a crust. If you want a photo of the recipe, just let me know. It's only a click away!

CG, I for one would be interested in that recipe. What a good combo! Cranberries in a stew - would never have thought of it.

OK, guys, I hunted down that cranberry-beef stew recipe online so there was no problem with me posting a photo of the back of the carton. :LOL: Don't want to get dinged for copy-write issues.

As a note, the carton recipe mentioned only the broth by Aldi brand name, "Chef's Cupboard". I love how the online recipe mentions the Aldi brand for each and every ingredient except loose produce items. :LOL:

Cranberry Beef Stew - ALDI US

Kathleen, I hope you're able to tweak the recipe so you can make that cranberry-beef pie you mentioned.

I couldn't wait until pi day. A frozen pie crust lingering since Thanksgiving finally got used; a Quiche Lorraine.

Attachments

• IMG_3246.jpg
    IMG_3246.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 82
Cooking Goddess;1645191 [B said:
Kathleen[/B], I hope you're able to tweak the recipe so you can make that cranberry-beef pie you mentioned.

OH! If it is NOT the same, I think it will be very satisfying and similar enough! Thank you so much. I'm definitely going to be giving this a try!!!:chef:

My Mom's Meat Pie, with the Chief's twist:

Crust"
3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
2 tbs. Better Than Bouillon, Beef Soup Base
1 cup lard
6 tbs, ice water

Cut the flour and lard together until it resembles pes gravel. mix bouillon and water into a wet paste. Fold into the crust to form a dough-ball. Wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate.

Filling:medium Yukon Gold, or russet potatoes, peeled
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 carrots peeled and diced
1 lb. 80/20 ground beef2 cloves garlic, minced2 tbs. butter
2 tbs. flour
1tsp salt
1 tsp. black pepper

Place all veggies into saucepan and cover with water./ Simmer until tender. Wile the veggies are simmering, brown the ground beef, seasoned wit S&P.

Add flor to the ground beef and cook for 5 more minutes to remove the raw flor ase. Remove from the heat. Drain the geggies and add to the ground beef, stirring to mix the two.

Remove the pie crust and divide in half. Roll on a floured surface into a round 2 inches lager that the pie plate. Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into a smooth circle around the crust. Roll the dough around the rolling pin and unrol over the pie plate. Fill with the fi;;oimg and top with the second rolled-out crust. Tuck overhanging curts between the main crust and pie plate. Flute edges, and make a couple of small holes in crust as steam vents. Brush with egg wash. Place i pre-heated 375' oven and bake for 35 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with a rich espagnole sauce, or brown gravy, or ketchup.

Adding the Better Than Bouillon to the crust recipe just makes it that much richer in flavor. You will fid It really adds a wonderful flavor dimension. Adding flavor to the crust, be it a fruit pie, pudding, or meat pie really enhances the pie flavor. Next time you make a cherry pie, add cinnamon and sugar to the pie crust. You won't be sorry you did.:yum:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom