"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 12-04-2011, 05:36 AM   #1
Master Chef

Planning holiday parties

I didn't know where else to put this. Who is doing what during this season? I already did Thanksgiving dinner (not my best!), and today (it is 4:30 a.m., Sunday, 4th) is my big bash of the year, but the Cincinnati Chili is made and just needs to be warmed. Everything else is pretty much pot luck. Christmas dinner will be with friends who I fed on Thanksgiving. That pretty much takes care of my work this holiday season. I'll have a few people in here and there for snacks of cheese and drinks. So, what are you doing?

Old 12-04-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

going to my parents again for a pot luck.

so far just us, my parents, and eldest sister and family will be there.

i have to decide what to bring. maybe meatballs and sausages, or possibly a leg of lamb. i'll have to coordinate the menu as it draws closer.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
Head Chef

Our daughter and her family (husband and 2 children) will be coming to Florida and we have rented a house in the Keys. It'll be just the 6 of us, and we'll be there for a week. Very different for us, but looking forward to a good time.

In the meantime, I had friends for dinner last evening. made a lamb tagine that was to die for, if I must say so. Our golf group ( 5 couples) will be going out for a pre holiday dinner at a fine dining place on the 14th. We'll get all dressed up and toast each other for a Happy Holiday Season with some good bubblyu. Then we will be scattering until the New Year.

May have folks in for a drink and snacks next weekend. That's about it.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

just the occasionally visitor, for wine, or egg nog. maybe a cheese ball, and crackers or cookies.

christmas eve is party with my daughter , and two granddaughters at my ex son in law. yes we are friendly, it has been about 25 years since he and my daughter were married.

christmas day, off to another granddaughter's house with the rest of my family including my four great granddaughters for gifts. no planned dinner, just lots of pot luck goodies, and a pizza topping. guess we will be making pizza. i am taking honey bbq wings, and a chili dip, they all love. got sausage for my contribution for pizza. sounds like a lot of fun to me.

i love the holiday season. it makes me happy !!
Old 12-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Just us, out for my work party. Then I'm not sure what we will do for Christmas. On the 27th...I don't know what Shrek has planned, it will be our 27th Anniversary and he hasn't said anything but be sure to get the day off.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #6
Executive Chef

The DxW and I went grocery shopping last week for Non-perishables and things that store well for our New Year's Day Party and Football watching. I see the Major Bowl games are not on New Year's day this year, Professional Football rules. I expect that won't alter the party or festivity.

We've been doing this every year since one year we said "bring your left-over cookies and your hangover 'cuz we're staying in today" and we have gone through a number of years with different friends, like when my Wi was in a band for awhile and relatives and mutual friends. Our adult kid invites some friends to spend the day too. It's low key and Nobody brings Leftover Christmas Cookies. Is This an Oxymoron anyway? For family it is one event per year that is not a pot luck.

This year's main menu is pulled BBQ roast beef sandwiches, chix wings for sure, and I don't know what else yet. I'm sure I'll need to put a Car Jack under her dining room table to hold up the Spread before she's through Planning. Going Shopping Last Week Was Far Too Early for this !!
Old 12-06-2011, 12:24 AM   #7
Master Chef

I am now, quite literally, up to my knees in food (food bank donations). I can't think about actually buying food. This week one of my favorite restuaranerues will be throwing a bargain-rate lobster fest, so that's next on the agenda. A friend and I share holiday meals, so I'm good to go for awhile now that I've fed 50 of my nearest and dearest (oh, OK, it was potluck, so I don't get a whole lot of credit .. except maybe for cleaning, which to me is harder than cooking!)
Old 12-06-2011, 12:52 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'll be having my annual Winter Solstice dinner party on the weekend of the 17th/18th. I haven't decided for sure what to cook, but it may well be another rolled pork roast. That has been a success for the past two years. There will definitely be Danish red cabbage and there will definitely be trifle for dessert. Oh and definitely a salad with the hubster's infamous Garlic Dressing of Doom.

Also glögg (Scandinavian mulled wine).
Old 12-06-2011, 01:15 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

oh, i haven't had a mug of warmed glogg in a long time.

spiced cider can't hold a candle to it.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:32 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'll be having my annual Winter Solstice dinner party on the weekend of the 17th/18th. I haven't decided for sure what to cook, but it may well be another rolled pork roast. That has been a success for the past two years. There will definitely be Danish red cabbage and there will definitely be trifle for dessert. Oh and definitely a salad with the hubster's infamous Garlic Dressing of Doom.

Also glögg (Scandinavian mulled wine).
Have a good one Tax
Click image for larger version

Name:	img053.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	12543

Click image for larger version

Name:	img054.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	12544