Planning holiday parties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I didn't know where else to put this. Who is doing what during this season? I already did Thanksgiving dinner (not my best!), and today (it is 4:30 a.m., Sunday, 4th) is my big bash of the year, but the Cincinnati Chili is made and just needs to be warmed. Everything else is pretty much pot luck. Christmas dinner will be with friends who I fed on Thanksgiving. That pretty much takes care of my work this holiday season. I'll have a few people in here and there for snacks of cheese and drinks. So, what are you doing?

going to my parents again for a pot luck.

so far just us, my parents, and eldest sister and family will be there.

i have to decide what to bring. maybe meatballs and sausages, or possibly a leg of lamb. i'll have to coordinate the menu as it draws closer.

Our daughter and her family (husband and 2 children) will be coming to Florida and we have rented a house in the Keys. It'll be just the 6 of us, and we'll be there for a week. Very different for us, but looking forward to a good time.

In the meantime, I had friends for dinner last evening. made a lamb tagine that was to die for, if I must say so. Our golf group ( 5 couples) will be going out for a pre holiday dinner at a fine dining place on the 14th. We'll get all dressed up and toast each other for a Happy Holiday Season with some good bubblyu. Then we will be scattering until the New Year.

May have folks in for a drink and snacks next weekend. That's about it.

just the occasionally visitor, for wine, or egg nog. maybe a cheese ball, and crackers or cookies.

christmas eve is party with my daughter , and two granddaughters at my ex son in law. yes we are friendly, it has been about 25 years since he and my daughter were married.

christmas day, off to another granddaughter's house with the rest of my family including my four great granddaughters for gifts. no planned dinner, just lots of pot luck goodies, and a pizza topping. guess we will be making pizza. i am taking honey bbq wings, and a chili dip, they all love. got sausage for my contribution for pizza. sounds like a lot of fun to me.

i love the holiday season. it makes me happy !!

Just us, out for my work party. Then I'm not sure what we will do for Christmas. On the 27th...I don't know what Shrek has planned, it will be our 27th Anniversary and he hasn't said anything but be sure to get the day off.

The DxW and I went grocery shopping last week for Non-perishables and things that store well for our New Year's Day Party and Football watching. I see the Major Bowl games are not on New Year's day this year, Professional Football rules. I expect that won't alter the party or festivity.

We've been doing this every year since one year we said "bring your left-over cookies and your hangover 'cuz we're staying in today" and we have gone through a number of years with different friends, like when my Wi was in a band for awhile and relatives and mutual friends. Our adult kid invites some friends to spend the day too. It's low key and Nobody brings Leftover Christmas Cookies. Is This an Oxymoron anyway? For family it is one event per year that is not a pot luck.

This year's main menu is pulled BBQ roast beef sandwiches, chix wings for sure, and I don't know what else yet. I'm sure I'll need to put a Car Jack under her dining room table to hold up the Spread before she's through Planning. Going Shopping Last Week Was Far Too Early for this !! :ohmy:

I am now, quite literally, up to my knees in food (food bank donations). I can't think about actually buying food. This week one of my favorite restuaranerues will be throwing a bargain-rate lobster fest, so that's next on the agenda. A friend and I share holiday meals, so I'm good to go for awhile now that I've fed 50 of my nearest and dearest (oh, OK, it was potluck, so I don't get a whole lot of credit .. except maybe for cleaning, which to me is harder than cooking!)

I'll be having my annual Winter Solstice dinner party on the weekend of the 17th/18th. I haven't decided for sure what to cook, but it may well be another rolled pork roast. That has been a success for the past two years. There will definitely be Danish red cabbage and there will definitely be trifle for dessert. Oh and definitely a salad with the hubster's infamous http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f11/garlic-dressing-of-doom-67809.html#post930208.

Also glögg (Scandinavian mulled wine).

Last edited:
oh, i haven't had a mug of warmed glogg in a long time.

spiced cider can't hold a candle to it.

I'll be having my annual Winter Solstice dinner party on the weekend of the 17th/18th. I haven't decided for sure what to cook, but it may well be another rolled pork roast. That has been a success for the past two years. There will definitely be Danish red cabbage and there will definitely be trifle for dessert. Oh and definitely a salad with the hubster's infamous http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f11/garlic-dressing-of-doom-67809.html#post930208.

Also glögg (Scandinavian mulled wine).
Have a good one Tax
img053.jpg

img054.jpg

Cooking for 150 people on January 1-st. A formal sitdown dinner. Will have some wait stuff to help serve and clean.

It has been a very tumultuous year for me. Separation, subsequent new apartment, one job loss, kids spread all over the province, and still have my mom to visit. I will have to be about three places at once. Kinda wish it was over already. but, anyhoo, I am probably looking at going to my mother's house and helping her with the traditional turkey dinner. This way, everybody can come and see my mother and me there, which will cut down on travel for them also.
Foodwise, is usually way too much, cheese, pate, cured meats, beer, pies, squares, candies etc Then, the actual meal. One thing I am going to make this year is this pickled shrimp recipe...The Bitten Word: Pickled Shrimp

Last edited:
It has been a very tumultuous year for me. Separation, subsequent new apartment, one job loss, kids spread all over the province, and still have my mom to visit. I will have to be about three places at once. Kinda wish it was over already. but, anyhoo, I am probably looking at going to my mother's house and helping her with the traditional turkey dinner. This way, everybody can come and see my mother and me there, which will cut down on travel for them also.
Foodwise, is usually way too much, cheese, pate, cured meats, beer, pies, squares, candies etc Then, the actual meal. One thing I am going to make this year is this pickled shrimp recipe...The Bitten Word: Pickled Shrimp
My best wishes for a calm new year Rock mate.:)

Back
Top Bottom