Playoff - Superbowl party food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
I know we've done this in the past, but we have so many new folks on board, I have to ask -

What are ya doing for playoff/superbowl party food? :)

For the Bears playoff game on Sunday afternoon, I'm not entertaining, just watching, so it's a regular dinner menu. Maybe steaks on the grill and pretending I'm tailgating. As for the Superbowl, last year I saw about 15 minutes of it in a drug induced stupor in the intensive care unit of the hospital in critical condition, with no food or liquid at all. I figure anything will be a step up this year!

BC

Superbowl; We don't go anywhere. We'll just stay home and I'll make dips and fingerfoods and holler for our favorite out of the two. I think there's going to be more yelling in this house over THIS weekend. I want the Steeler's to win, dh is hollering for the Colts. Youngest son want's the Pat's to win and DH will holler for ANYONE they play against. Son HATES the Cowboy's, so, there is some rivalry in this house. Son even put the Pat's logo on his car. HEHE

Saturday is the pizza and Sunday will be orange chicken and egg rolls.

We'll be in Aruba for the Superbowl. We love to watch the Patriots play in the Superbowl every year.

Traditional snacks are harder to come by in Aruba. Not a lot of buffalo wings etc. However, we'll persevere and have something to celebrate the Patriots' victory.

ummm....hello...HUGE Bronco fan here...

hubby's got his new toy - rotisserie - so game food tomorrow = brats and rope smoked sausage, hot cheese dip w/chips, cream cheese stuffed jalepenos topped w/bacon

GO BRONCOS - ON TO SUPERBOWL!!!!!

The Bronco/Patriot game should be a great one. Being originally from New England, you know where I stand!

As for the Big Game on the 5th, we're hosting our Bible study group from church at our place. I'm planning to make some buffalo wings, real bacon & cheddar potato skins, and something in the crock pot (chili or something). I hope to see the Patriots in the Big Game, and to see them do what no other has done, three-peat. Regardless, I'll be watching! :chef:

most likely we're staying home; i'm trying to convince a buddy to drive up from washington for the game.
if so, we'll have buffalo wings/celery/blue cheese; spinach, artichoke and cheese dip with blue corn chips; mussels fra diavolo; and i may make a pizza with my new stone. if not, we'll order in a thin crust with peppers, onions, and eggplant.

cara, it is a spectacle by which the championship game of the national football league (american football) is played, sandwiched around an incredibly boring halftime show that even white people wouldn't dance to and no one watches until a jackson comes out and does something disturbing, completely changing the face of broadcasting rules and regulations in america. oh yeah, and there's really good tv commercials sprinkled throughout.

I am NOT a football fan, but that was a very good description of the game. It was played here last year and we didn't even watch.

buckytom said:
cara, it is a spectacle by which the championship game of the national football league (american football) is played, sandwiched around an incredibly boring halftime show that even white people wouldn't dance to and no one watches until a jackson comes out and does something disturbing, completely changing the face of broadcasting rules and regulations in america. oh yeah, and there's really good tv commercials sprinkled throughout.

bucky, thanks, but the question wasn't meant serious ;o)
We have heard of that even over here.. wasn't that the Nipplegate Thing? :ROFLMAO:

but i must admit, I do not understand why you are making so much trouble about that... in Germany we don't make such a fuss about our football cup....

The superbowl is the biggest sports spectacle over here. I don't know what's better the game or the commercials. There is the world series in baseball and the stanley cup for hockey, but, the superbowl is the biggest, imo.

Yeah,out of all of the championship events here, the Super Bowl is the granddaddy of them all. I wonder if that is because it's the only sport that has one final game to crown the champ, versus baseball, hockey, and basketball having a best of 7 series . . . . . ?

NASCAR is growing wildly in popularity, but interestingly enough, their "Super Bowl" caliber (calibre for our friends across the pond) is the first race they run, the Daytona 500. Seems bass ackwards to me, but it works with their format of the chase to the Cup.

Back to football, anyone have any crock pot/slow cooker suggestions for the big game? As I said previously, I want to do something in the crock pot, but I want to be sensitive to those not so jacked up about spice, as the wing sauce I have has some kick. Maybe some stew meat, kidney beans, chili powder and stewed tomatoes? Other spices/ingredients recommended? Other ideas outside of a chili-ish type dish?

Ahhhhhhhhh the Superbowl!
I think the reason for it's huge popularity is also the fact that the regular season is frightfully short (16 weeks!), and all of it's popularity lies in the United States. (Honestly, does anyone really follow the world games?)

Being married to a Raider fan, at least he has no misery this year!
Son #1 is a Browns fan
Son #2 is a Seahawks fan
I like some teams more than others, including da Bears, however, being a woman, I did enjoy watching David Carr again this year - dang he's adorable. (Ladies, he's the quarterback for the Texans)

Yep, Superbowl commercials are the stuff tv programming is made of. Love the budweiser clydesdales most of all.
I have yet to watch a half time show, tho. That's when I'm busily putting together the rest of the lunch, and all the men and boys are in the street throwing around the pigskin. It's a tradition.

Big Dog - here's a non-spicy crockpot alternative for you: Buy a couple of bags of frozen meatballs and add 2 bottles of your favorite BBQ sauce. Heat on low till they're ready (or on high if you're in a hurry). Talk about quick and easy! I had them on New Year's and our cousin's little girl (who is a very very picky eater) told me she thought I made something yummy. (She bypassed all the stuff I took forever making)

This is one of the dips that I do, very filling too.

1- 2lb block of velveeta processed cheese {or the Borden}
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground sausage {I like the maple}
1 7 oz can chopped green chiles { I sometimes add a little more for taste}
1 can cream of mushroom soup.

Cut up the cheese and let melt. Add soup and chiles. Brown the meats and drain. Add to cheese. Keep on low after the cheese is completely melted. This stuff is a lot thicker than rotel so it's not as messy.

BigDog said:
Yeah,out of all of the championship events here, the Super Bowl is the granddaddy of them all. I wonder if that is because it's the only sport that has one final game to crown the champ, versus baseball, hockey, and basketball having a best of 7 series . . . . . ?

NASCAR is growing wildly in popularity, but interestingly enough, their "Super Bowl" caliber (calibre for our friends across the pond) is the first race they run, the Daytona 500. Seems bass ackwards to me, but it works with their format of the chase to the Cup.

Back to football, anyone have any crock pot/slow cooker suggestions for the big game? As I said previously, I want to do something in the crock pot, but I want to be sensitive to those not so jacked up about spice, as the wing sauce I have has some kick. Maybe some stew meat, kidney beans, chili powder and stewed tomatoes? Other spices/ingredients recommended? Other ideas outside of a chili-ish type dish?

How about a nice batch of clam chowder?
It's warm.
It's filling.
And it tastes GREAT!

Back
Top Bottom