"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 05-13-2005, 06:37 PM   #11
Certified Executive Chef

VG since it is his high school graduation, as him what he wants, letting him know adults will be present as well, I did this with my daughter when she graduated from high school. She chose either hamburgers (we had a large BBQ) or spaghetti. The latter seemed the best idea as some were vegetarians and we could serve meatballs separately and we had 18 people. The menu was spaghetti, salad with choice of dressing, garlic bread, cake and icecream. The spaghetti could be prepared ahead of time and easily warmed when we returned from the ceremony. (BTW we used penne and shells as they are easier to eat than the traditional long and skinny stuff.) The salad I tossed without the dressing and covered in the fridge, and garlic bread was toasted while the spaghetti sauce warmed up. It was served buffet style and everyone had a wonderful time.

Good luck with the meal and congrats.

Old 05-13-2005, 06:54 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I forgot to say Good to see you Vegas Girl!!!!!!!!

Did you say "last resort"???? You know better than that! Just put out small quantities - once you have your menu planned let us know and we'll help with presentation.

There are several threads going now about graduation parties and food ideas. I think one may be in the Off Topic Chat forum.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:59 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Thank you.

I love Italian myself, but I know several in the group either aren't crazy about spaghetti sauce or it makes them sick, so I won't make that the main course.

I was wondering now about the cake, if the frosting would start melting after a couple hours? Also, since people will be coming and going over a few hours, is it OK to make the early people wait awhile before cutting the cake so that people coming later can see it? I could have other bakery too in case they can't wait for dessert.

Has anyone tried sticking chunks of fruit with toothpicks and sticking them in a pineapple? (I've never bought a fresh pineapple, don't know how hard they are to work with) Or do you think that's not a good idea because the fruit might drip or not stay fresh?

Thanks again.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:51 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Keep it simple or you will drive yourself crazy and that's not a good thing.

Leave out several appies.......cheese and grape platter, meatballs, spinach dip [served in hollowed out bread] easy stuff. A tray of ziti, garlic bread, salad. The lifts and levels idea is a good one [tablescaping] Do as much as you can ahead of time, so you can enjoy your guests. Make sure you have enough trashcans and liners for them........most of all HAVE FUN, and congrats to your son!
http://discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2586

http://discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2477
Old 05-13-2005, 08:12 PM   #15
Head Chef

Pineapple isn't hard to work with at all. Just get the thing and split it in half including the leaves. either stick the fruit in with the toothpicks (it's very easy) or you can hollow it out some and chop up what you hollowed out and add to the other fruit. Then just put the fruit into it as if it were a bowl.

When buying a pinapple you want it to have a nice yellow color and you want it to smell good.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:53 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
You can also just keep the pineapple whole and stick strawberries in it and it makes a beautiful presentation.

Why not do a bunch of cupcakes? Put a little graduation cap in black icing (or the school color) on top? The icing will be fine for a couple hours - even longer.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 02:51 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Thank you, Kitchenelf. Instead of "last resort", I meant to say I knew I could count on you guys. I'm having outpatient surgery later this month, but I'm more nervous about this party than the surgery! I guess I'll have a few more people than I thought. I invited a few co-workers and they said they're bringing they're families along...how could I say no? Today I just bought some Snack Pack pudding to put out for the kids.