"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-07-2008, 09:53 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
When I was a copy editor of a small newspaper, we used Friday as a "casual" lunch day. Everyone brought a dish and everyone feasted. It was amazing how those who said they couldn't cook brought some of the tastiest dishes. It was during one of our Friday food fests that I learned to like asparagus. Go Darla!!!!

Old 11-10-2008, 01:33 AM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Spell it potluck or pot luck - I grew up with these at church (usually about once a month) and then when I was older at places where I worked (usually 2-4 times a year) or occasionally when a bunch of friends were getting together for some occasion (4th of July and Thanksgiving when I was living in Colorado for 5 years). We also had a "block party" pot luck last 4th of July where I now live ... we broke out the grills and had burgers and hot dogs - some chipped in for the meat and buns, others brought the sides and fixings. That's about 55-years that I can remember - don't remember much about them before I was 5-yo.

Sometimes we would have a sign up sheet - you would sign up to bring a dish in a catagory (meat, side, salad, dessert, etc.) or name the dish you were going to bring ... or a true "pot luck" where nobody knew what anybody else was going to bring. Many "fund raiser" church cookbooks came from the "signature" dish recipes brought to pot luck dinners - unfortunately it was a coomon practice for Mrs. X to leave out 1 ingredient in her famous "what's" it recipe so nobody could ever make it taste as good as she did.

If you look in our Special Events & Planning sub-forum (under our Today's Menu & Food Talk Forum) we have several threads where we have discussed this.

I went to one once where 6 people brought Baked Beans.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:36 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
I love potlucks!! It's the best. You get to try everyones favorite dishes. Can you imagine what it would be like if everyone here got together with a potluck?? O my goodness, MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, hehe

I know who has to make all of the Bread.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #14
Cook

My church has scheduled Potlucks nearly every month. We have two events that are major potlucks..Our annual Chili and Pie Feed in February, and our Fish Fry-usually in the fall. Those two events are advertised to the community and then we'll ask our members to bring extra food for 'guests" For the Chili event, we do ask a few people to bring soups for those who can't eat chili. We don't usually bother with a sign-up sheet to bring a particular kind of dish, and we ALWAYS have plenty and I've been impressed with the variety too. Certain folks have specialties..like my friend Virginia, and her peach pie and her hamloaf..Yum!
Old 11-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lytle View Post
Michael Im new, dont care to search every forum just to see if something was done before I was here and never even noticed this Events one anyway.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
I'm not looking for recipes, just trying to get a good discussion thread going. And Michael Im new, dont care to search every forum just to see if something was done before I was here and never even noticed this Events one anyway.
I don't know where you are from but where I come from there were no potlucks. But one of the first things I learned when I came to America, was a potluck party. I must live in the very friendly area, unlike you. That also might be a reason why you were so rude to Michael!
Old 11-11-2008, 07:54 PM   #17
Sous Chef

I have been to quite a few pot-lucks. What is very strange is that somehow it turns out great (enough variety) to make a good plate. I'm not sure how I have been so lucky but it just works out. I like making a chili or sweet and sour meatballs and they are usually a hit.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
And Michael Im new, dont care to search every forum just to see if something was done before I was here and never even noticed this Events one anyway.
Just because you're new doesn't give you permission to get nasty with Michael or anyone else on this board. This is a family, and if you mess with one, you mess with all of us. Perhaps you might be happier on another forum where you can get pushy and throw your weight around. If you need help, we can open the door for you and point you in the right direction. Otherwise, I think an apology might be in order.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
Just because you're new doesn't give you permission to get nasty with Michael or anyone else on this board. This is a family, and if you mess with one, you mess with all of us. Perhaps you might be happier on another forum where you can get pushy and throw your weight around. If you need help, we can open the door for you and point you in the right direction. Otherwise, I think an apology might be in order.
I don't think anyone was really that mean I think Micheal was just saying here is more on the subject and the other maybe could have worded it a bit different. Not to say I have not said some bad things here myself.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
Hey JoeV lighten up. You aren't helping the situation. And to Lytle: Michael was giving you a thread to go to for more information. He was keeping you from having to go through every forum. This is what we do here.

Anyway, I love potluck parties. Not only do people bring their best dishes but the friendship that evolves between people is awesome. As president of my Solos group I have a potluck scheduled for Nov. 20 and we have 25 people signed up come so far. Our main dish will be roasted chicken and beef brisket and anyone can bring whatever they want.
I don't think people really care what food goes with what. All they care is that there is plenty to eat and it's all good. This is soooo much fun! We're all looking forward to it.
Potluck parties are the norm in small towns and church groups are big on this.