Potluck Parties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The best thing I ever took to a potluck was something that I just threw together at the last minute. Where I worked we had a potluck on the last Friday of the month. I wa not planning on going to one but at the last minute decided to participate. With little time to make anything I decided to make a fruit salad with some frozen fruit that I had in the freezer. I just dumped the frozen fruit in a big bowl, added some fresh bananas and a couple cans of oranges. The juice from the frozen peaches and strawberrys made a nice sauce. I did stop on the way to work for a couple premade angelfood cakes to serve with it.

After that everyone always requested I bring it. Go Figure!

Just because you're new doesn't give you permission to get nasty with Michael or anyone else on this board. This is a family, and if you mess with one, you mess with all of us. Perhaps you might be happier on another forum where you can get pushy and throw your weight around. If you need help, we can open the door for you and point you in the right direction. Otherwise, I think an apology might be in order.

;) I couldn't agree more.

we do potlucks ( fewer lately since our kids left ) we have a common property as a park , anyway we have had them regularly and what I have always liked is to set a theme . Lebanon or France or Morroco or Thai or Yugoslavia,whatever I have hundreds of cookbooks ,so have enough recipes to dole out . Bring enough for yourselves ( always too much -perfect ) You learn that someone is the group has ties to the theme country they might have forgotten about themselves !! Sushi nights are fun ( you learn who knows proper hand washing quick. )
Set a theme and go with the flow -that's all I have to say about that

I went to one once where 6 people brought Baked Beans.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I knew someone who went to a church potluck where the theme was Mexican foods. Everyone brought refried beans (the cheapest thing)!

For some of our church potlucks they just say to bring a main dish and dessert, and the hospitality committee provides salads and drinks. For smaller groups (a Sunday school class, for instance) a list is usually passed and it is either divided up by main dish/salads/desserts and you sign up for one of them. I'm going to a "Heavenly Hen Party" (Henny Penny is the mascot of our yearly women's retreat, lol) next week, and everyone whose first name begins with the letters A-K is to bring a salty treat and those whose names begin L-Z are to bring a sweet treat.

:)Barbara

Last edited:
That has never happened to me, but what a hoot that would be -surely the beer and wine would be different ! That would keep you chattering for months I suppose Oh ya - I always made too much Three main dishes and a NON-alcoholic punch
Here is a self seving question -why is no one responding to my deboned turkey question ?? Should I ask that in a different way??---Gage

Our missions committee has hosted some international-themed potlucks. Those were fun as it encouraged me to think outside my usual Chicken and Tatertots Casserole mode. If I can figure out how to make Kung Pao Chicken less expensive, I'd take that to potlucks My family loves it, and so does everyone who tries it.

Our missions committee has hosted some international-themed potlucks. Those were fun as it encouraged me to think outside my usual Chicken and Tatertots Casserole mode. If I can figure out how to make Kung Pao Chicken less expensive, I'd take that to potlucks My family loves it, and so does everyone who tries it.

I had forgotten about the International Pot Luck we throw at our RV park every summer. The idea is to bring something from another country and you wouldn't believe the fantastic dishes people bring. This is one of our most successful events and is attended by over 80 people. We have food running out of our ears. Anyone can take the leftovers home but there are few leftovers. Try this theme next time you have a potluck dinner and see what happens.

When I taught in Oregon, we had them once a month. We had all sorts of themes with the exception of our Christmas potluck. Everyone brought their favorite food to share plus a story of how it came to be their favorite or a memory. I think it really helped the staff feel like a family.

Here in Wisconsin, we tend to throw them more in the summer when we can be grilling or we go to the different church potlucks in the fall or winter, ususally soup and people bring bread or dessert.

Just because you're new doesn't give you permission to get nasty with Michael or anyone else on this board. This is a family, and if you mess with one, you mess with all of us. Perhaps you might be happier on another forum where you can get pushy and throw your weight around. If you need help, we can open the door for you and point you in the right direction. Otherwise, I think an apology might be in order.

right on joe!!:ROFLMAO:

Amen, Joe!

We used to have them once a month at work; it was great. Then some one started getting everyone to throw them once a week. Needless to say, it soon became unfun! So, for a long while we didn't have them at all. Now the crew does a once-a-month birthday feast, and the fun is back. Although I've retired, I'm still asked back frequently, and I love to participate.

Hey JoeV lighten up. You aren't helping the situation. And to Lytle: Michael was giving you a thread to go to for more information. He was keeping you from having to go through every forum. This is what we do here.

Anyway, I love potluck parties. Not only do people bring their best dishes but the friendship that evolves between people is awesome. As president of my Solos group I have a potluck scheduled for Nov. 20 and we have 25 people signed up come so far. Our main dish will be roasted chicken and beef brisket and anyone can bring whatever they want.
I don't think people really care what food goes with what. All they care is that there is plenty to eat and it's all good. This is soooo much fun! We're all looking forward to it.
Potluck parties are the norm in small towns and church groups are big on this.

:) I agree DQ sometimes it's easy to read between the lines depending on the mood you are in. If the OP keeps doing it although I never thought it was that bad then it's another mattter and I hope they are not going away because of this. This is a big family but we always welcome more. Alot of people start new threads that have been done before like the dreaded boiled egg thread but we all just go with the flow as they are new and just want to know and thats what we do even if it means doing it over again. ;)

I love to attend potlucks. We had a potluck lunch last week at work. This was theme potluck. The theme was soup or chili. We had everything from carrot ginger soup. several chilis, minestrone soup, cajun gumbo (my favorite), black bean soup, etc. Folks that did not bring a soup or chili brought either bread, salad, or desserts. The best thing I like about potlucks is the fun of trying other recipesp that your friends or coworkers have made. Plus, I also enjoy seeing people eating a dish that I have made.

We will be having our small group potluck in two weeks and one of the ladies always insists we make it a true pot luck. No one ever brings the same thing two times in a row, or even the same type of food (salad, main, dessert, etc) but we always have a wonderful variety and a very balanced meal. I am not sure yet what I will take this year, but I am thinking it will be a salad and appetizer.

As this discussion goes on I keep getting more reservations for our potluck party this Thursday. We now have 25 people and looks like we'll have a few more] in the next day or two. I am blown away by the dishes they are bringing. Several authentic foreign dishes. Yum.

I would like to have a little "entertainment" in the way of a game or two. Any suggestions?

Note to administrators: Thank you for deleting. ;)

I'm a firm believer in potlucking-it. It makes it so that no one has to do the full expense and work of a neighborhood or family get-together. On an invitation I'll write, "Bring something to share". When it is a smaller group, I'll often have a theme, and all my friends love it. It gives them an opportunity to try a new recipe or trot out an old family favorite.

I mostly miss the potlucks when I lived in Hawaii. The myriad of cuisines that showed up were to die for.

We had potlucks at work as often as possible. For a very long time I got stuck with the main entree. It gets expensive after awhile to always bring a big meat dish. So finally when they were planning the next potluck...I put down I would bring the drinks and rolls. They all cried "you arn't bringing the meat dish?" I said it was someone elses turn..they all got upset cause none of them wanted to do the meat dish. One even said she would if everyone gave her money..no one would cause they said they never did me. Ended up having a potluck with no meat dish and unhappy crew of nurses. On the next discussion regarding potluck..first thing they asked was I going ot bring meat dish. I said nope as figured I had last 12 times..was still somebody elses turns..that potluck never got held nor did any for a long time. They all wanted the cheap easy to cook stuffs. Luckily I havent had that at other places I worked at. The last place one woman always offerred right away to cook the main entree'..after the second time I brought up we should all give atleast a couple dollars to her since hers was most expensive dish and everyone agreed readily. She tried to turn it down but I insisted since she enjoyed cooking those type dishes and did say to just give us the word if she wanted to bring side dishes at any time. I also tried to make fancy vege dishes or salad recipes to go with her very excellent cooking too. I swear she could make the toughest meat taste like a porterhouse steak. I so miss her cracklin bread :(

Our potlucks are at each other's houses, and whoever is hosting does the main dish and "assigns" others (appetizers, side veg, salad, desert). I have had friends from other countries (do now in fact) who just don't "get" potluck. He complimented me on my huge spread of foods, contributed to the mix (he's famous locally for bringing a great seasoned, grilled chicken dish), but still cannot bring himself to invite people to his house and ask them to bring food. Not only do I ask my guests to bring something to share, I also (jokingly, but it works) ask them to bring something for the local food bank at this time of year. I'm now sitting up to my ears in food/paper/soap contributions that we will take over later today.

I also (jokingly, but it works) ask them to bring something for the local food bank at this time of year. I'm now sitting up to my ears in food/paper/soap contributions that we will take over later today.

Brilliant idea! Our church does potlucks nearly every month...I"ll suggest to the deaconesses that they consider asking folks to bring food for the local food bank. Brilliant! You get the Golden Spoon Award today:chef:

I try to erase from memory my first wedding and marriage, but there is one thing about it that will always have a place in my heart. We didn't have a lot of money and because we were in our 30's we couldn't really ask our parents. We attended a very community minded church and our Pastor's wife suggested we do a "potluck wedding" where we ask the members of the church and local family members to bring something. At first I was very uncomfortable asking people to bring food to my wedding, but because we were both established on our own we decided to tell those people bring food that this would be there gift to us. I did a roast, My Mom did a turkey and MIL did a ham. Then a good friend just took the calls from everyone and "guided" them as to what to bring, just so we didn't get all mashed potatoes or something and so she knew what was coming. It was incredible. Everyone said it was the best wedding food they had ever tasted and the ones who brought something said it was great to be part of it. That really showed me the kindness of others.

I try to erase from memory my first wedding and marriage, but there is one thing about it that will always have a place in my heart. We didn't have a lot of money and because we were in our 30's we couldn't really ask our parents. We attended a very community minded church and our Pastor's wife suggested we do a "potluck wedding" where we ask the members of the church and local family members to bring something. At first I was very uncomfortable asking people to bring food to my wedding, but because we were both established on our own we decided to tell those people bring food that this would be there gift to us. I did a roast, My Mom did a turkey and MIL did a ham. Then a good friend just took the calls from everyone and "guided" them as to what to bring, just so we didn't get all mashed potatoes or something and so she knew what was coming. It was incredible. Everyone said it was the best wedding food they had ever tasted and the ones who brought something said it was great to be part of it. That really showed me the kindness of others.

I'm sorry your marriage didn't work out, but the way people responded to give you a lovely wedding dinner is really heart-warming. Thank you for sharing. :)

Back
Top Bottom