"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-12-2008, 12:41 AM   #21
Cook

The best thing I ever took to a potluck was something that I just threw together at the last minute. Where I worked we had a potluck on the last Friday of the month. I wa not planning on going to one but at the last minute decided to participate. With little time to make anything I decided to make a fruit salad with some frozen fruit that I had in the freezer. I just dumped the frozen fruit in a big bowl, added some fresh bananas and a couple cans of oranges. The juice from the frozen peaches and strawberrys made a nice sauce. I did stop on the way to work for a couple premade angelfood cakes to serve with it.

After that everyone always requested I bring it. Go Figure!

Old 11-12-2008, 12:52 AM   #22
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
Just because you're new doesn't give you permission to get nasty with Michael or anyone else on this board. This is a family, and if you mess with one, you mess with all of us. Perhaps you might be happier on another forum where you can get pushy and throw your weight around. If you need help, we can open the door for you and point you in the right direction. Otherwise, I think an apology might be in order.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:59 AM   #23
Senior Cook

we do potlucks ( fewer lately since our kids left ) we have a common property as a park , anyway we have had them regularly and what I have always liked is to set a theme . Lebanon or France or Morroco or Thai or Yugoslavia,whatever I have hundreds of cookbooks ,so have enough recipes to dole out . Bring enough for yourselves ( always too much -perfect ) You learn that someone is the group has ties to the theme country they might have forgotten about themselves !! Sushi nights are fun ( you learn who knows proper hand washing quick. )
Set a theme and go with the flow -that's all I have to say about that
Old 11-12-2008, 01:13 AM   #24
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
I went to one once where 6 people brought Baked Beans.
I knew someone who went to a church potluck where the theme was Mexican foods. Everyone brought refried beans (the cheapest thing)!

For some of our church potlucks they just say to bring a main dish and dessert, and the hospitality committee provides salads and drinks. For smaller groups (a Sunday school class, for instance) a list is usually passed and it is either divided up by main dish/salads/desserts and you sign up for one of them. I'm going to a "Heavenly Hen Party" (Henny Penny is the mascot of our yearly women's retreat, lol) next week, and everyone whose first name begins with the letters A-K is to bring a salty treat and those whose names begin L-Z are to bring a sweet treat.

Barbara
Old 11-12-2008, 01:22 AM   #25
Senior Cook

That has never happened to me, but what a hoot that would be -surely the beer and wine would be different ! That would keep you chattering for months I suppose Oh ya - I always made too much Three main dishes and a NON-alcoholic punch
Here is a self seving question -why is no one responding to my deboned turkey question ?? Should I ask that in a different way??---Gage
Old 11-12-2008, 09:15 AM   #26
Cook

Our missions committee has hosted some international-themed potlucks. Those were fun as it encouraged me to think outside my usual Chicken and Tatertots Casserole mode. If I can figure out how to make Kung Pao Chicken less expensive, I'd take that to potlucks My family loves it, and so does everyone who tries it.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by abecedarian View Post
Our missions committee has hosted some international-themed potlucks. Those were fun as it encouraged me to think outside my usual Chicken and Tatertots Casserole mode. If I can figure out how to make Kung Pao Chicken less expensive, I'd take that to potlucks My family loves it, and so does everyone who tries it.

I had forgotten about the International Pot Luck we throw at our RV park every summer. The idea is to bring something from another country and you wouldn't believe the fantastic dishes people bring. This is one of our most successful events and is attended by over 80 people. We have food running out of our ears. Anyone can take the leftovers home but there are few leftovers. Try this theme next time you have a potluck dinner and see what happens.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:38 PM   #28
Head Chef

When I taught in Oregon, we had them once a month. We had all sorts of themes with the exception of our Christmas potluck. Everyone brought their favorite food to share plus a story of how it came to be their favorite or a memory. I think it really helped the staff feel like a family.

Here in Wisconsin, we tend to throw them more in the summer when we can be grilling or we go to the different church potlucks in the fall or winter, ususally soup and people bring bread or dessert.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:12 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
Just because you're new doesn't give you permission to get nasty with Michael or anyone else on this board. This is a family, and if you mess with one, you mess with all of us. Perhaps you might be happier on another forum where you can get pushy and throw your weight around. If you need help, we can open the door for you and point you in the right direction. Otherwise, I think an apology might be in order.

right on joe!!
Old 11-12-2008, 07:14 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Amen, Joe!

We used to have them once a month at work; it was great. Then some one started getting everyone to throw them once a week. Needless to say, it soon became unfun! So, for a long while we didn't have them at all. Now the crew does a once-a-month birthday feast, and the fun is back. Although I've retired, I'm still asked back frequently, and I love to participate.