Potluck Parties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lytle

Washing Up
For those of you who aren`t familiar with a potluck it`s just everyone who is invited brings a different dish and you feast! It`s great. So I was wondering, how often do you guys potluck with friends and what types of dishes have you brought in the past to these parties?

I never knew about the potluck thing until I started culinary school. Most of us were in a new town with no family for Easter so somebody suggested a potluck, new idea to most of us. I was pretty broke at the time so I just threw together a corn and broccoli veg dish with clarified butter and some herbs and spices, don`t remember exactly what I threw in there. We had another at the end of the year, this time the only food I had in my house was pasta so I didnt bring anything. One guy brought cream cheese bavarians in seperate little plastic dish cups, that was my favorite thing there and I thought was a great idea if you knew the general amount of people coming. Just make a couple extra just in case. One time at school I was let take home a raspberry chicken glace and sour cream pork glace sauces I made that day, it sparked the idea of a Sunday football and potluck Barbecue Potluck. I had bell peppers marinating in oil and herbs and some red pepper flakes as well as some steaks ready to fire up the next day but we got rained out which blew, I was excited for that one, mostly cause everything was gonna be grilled. It never got off the ground again, got too cold out.

I`m hoping to do another potluck sometime soon, they`re a hell of a lot of fun. So share your potluck experiences here with us.

Spell it potluck or pot luck - I grew up with these at church (usually about once a month) and then when I was older at places where I worked (usually 2-4 times a year) or occasionally when a bunch of friends were getting together for some occasion (4th of July and Thanksgiving when I was living in Colorado for 5 years). We also had a "block party" pot luck last 4th of July where I now live ... we broke out the grills and had burgers and hot dogs - some chipped in for the meat and buns, others brought the sides and fixings. That's about 55-years that I can remember - don't remember much about them before I was 5-yo.

Sometimes we would have a sign up sheet - you would sign up to bring a dish in a catagory (meat, side, salad, dessert, etc.) or name the dish you were going to bring ... or a true "pot luck" where nobody knew what anybody else was going to bring. Many "fund raiser" church cookbooks came from the "signature" dish recipes brought to pot luck dinners - unfortunately it was a coomon practice for Mrs. X to leave out 1 ingredient in her famous "what's" it recipe so nobody could ever make it taste as good as she did.

If you look in our Special Events & Planning sub-forum (under our Today's Menu & Food Talk Forum) we have several threads where we have discussed this.

We're having a potluck at work tomorrow - the Fall Fling :) I'm taking a Mexican beef and hominy casserole that I doctored up quite a bit from the recipe. I like this cookbook, but it's rather old (got it at a used-book store), so some of the recipes don't have as much seasoning as I like. I've got the casserole all ready, sitting in my Crock-pot crock in the fridge, so tomorrow I can heat it up in the Crock-pot and not compete with the rest of the building trying to get time in the one oven :LOL:

We grew up with potlucks, too, and we have neighbors who have a big potluck porch party every year. And our civic league has a holiday potluck for the December meeting. If this casserole goes over well, I might use it again, but I have lots of large-serving recipes I've used in the past. Are you looking for specific recipes, Lytle?

All my parents friends had 3 or 4 or 5 kids so when we all got together, no way could one family feed the whole crew so it was always potluck. We'd get together just about once a month. Our church growing up was famous for pot luck dinners and the tradition has continued in every church we've belonged to! We still enjoy pot lucks. you get to try so many different dishes. They are wonderful!

I'm not looking for recipes, just trying to get a good discussion thread going. And Michael Im new, dont care to search every forum just to see if something was done before I was here and never even noticed this Events one anyway.

we have been involved with potlucks involving a large circle of friends, for over 30 years now, we do three events each fall/holiday season. One is a smoked turkey potluck right after Thanksgiving. One is a Christmas fingerfoods/drunk/carol sing, this year will be with 6 grandchildren of the host/hostess...how can that be??

anyway, I usually take a vegetable; baked butternut sqash, or potato salad, or fresh broccoli salad.... I am quite happy to use up some of the fall vegetable harvest with these potlucks

I went to quite a few church and PTA potluck dinners growing up in southern California. Here in South Carolina (and North Carolina, where I go to church) they have them too, but they call them "covered dish suppers." I wonder how many other names there are for the same concept. :cool:

:)Barbara

I love potlucks!! It's the best. You get to try everyones favorite dishes. Can you imagine what it would be like if everyone here got together with a potluck?? O my goodness, MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, hehe

:) It's a good idea to have a theme so all the dishes tie together like Mexican another thing is to find out what people want to bring so I ask them what will it be? Entrée, side dish, salad, appetizer or dessert that way you don't end up with a bunch of desserts or otherwise. I usually fill in the missing dish. Oh and the people on the ranch that do not have a kitchen and eat at the lodge are not expected to bring anything and since we always have more than enough food. Oh and yes everyone brings their own drink of choice and I have some beer and wine also.

When I was a copy editor of a small newspaper, we used Friday as a "casual" lunch day. Everyone brought a dish and everyone feasted. It was amazing how those who said they couldn't cook brought some of the tastiest dishes. It was during one of our Friday food fests that I learned to like asparagus. Go Darla!!!!

Spell it potluck or pot luck - I grew up with these at church (usually about once a month) and then when I was older at places where I worked (usually 2-4 times a year) or occasionally when a bunch of friends were getting together for some occasion (4th of July and Thanksgiving when I was living in Colorado for 5 years). We also had a "block party" pot luck last 4th of July where I now live ... we broke out the grills and had burgers and hot dogs - some chipped in for the meat and buns, others brought the sides and fixings. That's about 55-years that I can remember - don't remember much about them before I was 5-yo.

Sometimes we would have a sign up sheet - you would sign up to bring a dish in a catagory (meat, side, salad, dessert, etc.) or name the dish you were going to bring ... or a true "pot luck" where nobody knew what anybody else was going to bring. Many "fund raiser" church cookbooks came from the "signature" dish recipes brought to pot luck dinners - unfortunately it was a coomon practice for Mrs. X to leave out 1 ingredient in her famous "what's" it recipe so nobody could ever make it taste as good as she did.

If you look in our Special Events & Planning sub-forum (under our Today's Menu & Food Talk Forum) we have several threads where we have discussed this.

I went to one once where 6 people brought Baked Beans.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I love potlucks!! It's the best. You get to try everyones favorite dishes. Can you imagine what it would be like if everyone here got together with a potluck?? O my goodness, MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, hehe

I know who has to make all of the Bread.:LOL::LOL:

My church has scheduled Potlucks nearly every month. We have two events that are major potlucks..Our annual Chili and Pie Feed in February, and our Fish Fry-usually in the fall. Those two events are advertised to the community and then we'll ask our members to bring extra food for 'guests" For the Chili event, we do ask a few people to bring soups for those who can't eat chili. We don't usually bother with a sign-up sheet to bring a particular kind of dish, and we ALWAYS have plenty and I've been impressed with the variety too. Certain folks have specialties..like my friend Virginia, and her peach pie and her hamloaf..Yum!

I'm not looking for recipes, just trying to get a good discussion thread going. And Michael Im new, dont care to search every forum just to see if something was done before I was here and never even noticed this Events one anyway.

I don't know where you are from but where I come from there were no potlucks. But one of the first things I learned when I came to America, was a potluck party. I must live in the very friendly area, unlike you. That also might be a reason why you were so rude to Michael! :mad:

I have been to quite a few pot-lucks. What is very strange is that somehow it turns out great (enough variety) to make a good plate. I'm not sure how I have been so lucky but it just works out. I like making a chili or sweet and sour meatballs and they are usually a hit. :chef:

And Michael Im new, dont care to search every forum just to see if something was done before I was here and never even noticed this Events one anyway.

Just because you're new doesn't give you permission to get nasty with Michael or anyone else on this board. This is a family, and if you mess with one, you mess with all of us. Perhaps you might be happier on another forum where you can get pushy and throw your weight around. If you need help, we can open the door for you and point you in the right direction. Otherwise, I think an apology might be in order.

Just because you're new doesn't give you permission to get nasty with Michael or anyone else on this board. This is a family, and if you mess with one, you mess with all of us. Perhaps you might be happier on another forum where you can get pushy and throw your weight around. If you need help, we can open the door for you and point you in the right direction. Otherwise, I think an apology might be in order.

:) I don't think anyone was really that mean I think Micheal was just saying here is more on the subject and the other maybe could have worded it a bit different. Not to say I have not said some bad things here myself.

Hey JoeV lighten up. You aren't helping the situation. And to Lytle: Michael was giving you a thread to go to for more information. He was keeping you from having to go through every forum. This is what we do here.

Anyway, I love potluck parties. Not only do people bring their best dishes but the friendship that evolves between people is awesome. As president of my Solos group I have a potluck scheduled for Nov. 20 and we have 25 people signed up come so far. Our main dish will be roasted chicken and beef brisket and anyone can bring whatever they want.
I don't think people really care what food goes with what. All they care is that there is plenty to eat and it's all good. This is soooo much fun! We're all looking forward to it.
Potluck parties are the norm in small towns and church groups are big on this.

Back
Top Bottom