"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Problem Dinner Party

Hello, I am new to this forum and hoping that you all are able to assist me. I am having some people over for dinner, (4 adults and 2 children). Need some recipe ideas as 1 of the persons eats nothing but boneless/skinnless chicken, 1 doesnt eat chicken, 2 will eat anything, 1 doesnt eat red meat and 1 wont eat fish...so as you can see i need a menu idea that takes all this into account without having to do separate entrees for everything...any ideas??? All i can come up with is fettucini alfredo, but husband doesnt really like it that much??
Thanks

Old 11-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You could make a pork roast for everybody but the 'only eats chicken' person and make a chicken breast for that person.

You could do roast chicken for everybody but the 'won't eat chicken' person and something else for that person.

You could make a meatless tomato sauce and have pasta. You could grill a variety of meats on the grill to serve with the pasta.

You could take them all to a restaurant.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
Senior Cook

How about a taco bar? The kids would probably love it too. Another advantage is that most of the fixings could be made/chopped in advance of company arriving.

You could do something like this:
  • Boneless, skinless chicken beasts brined to add flavor and then either grilled, broiled, or cooked on a grill pan (I have two great recipes if you're interested)
  • Seasoned ground beef or shredded beef or pork (could do this in a crock-pot, which puts the work well in advance of guests arriving)
  • Beans of some sort: refried, pinto, or black beans
  • Shredded cheese
  • Shredded lettuce
  • Diced tomatoes
  • Salsa, sour cream, and/or guacamole
  • Soft flour tortillas and crunchy corn taco shells
  • Optional sides: corn bread, fajita-type veggies (pepper, onions, zucchini, etc)
  • Starter ideas: Chips and dips (salsa, bean dip, guacamole); Fruit salsa with cinnamon tortilla chips (I have a recipe if you want), anything southwestern or mexican
  • Drinks: margaritas! beer, mojitos, anything citrusy
  • Desserts: Something with chocolate and cinnamon, flan, something citrusy...

People can pick and choose what they want, so everyone's happy and no one feels singled out or like they've inconvenienced you.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple*tart View Post
How about a taco bar? The kids would probably love it too. Another advantage is that most of the fixings could be made/chopped in advance of company arriving.
What a great idea apple*tart!!! It truly pleases everyone!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
Senior Cook

go vegetarian. i am sure that the "only eats chicken"

person eats vegetables or pasta. eggplant parm, or spaghetti with pesto.
you can hold back some of the spaghetti and serve with butter and cheese for the kids. salad and bread and fruit and the meal is done.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac

The taco bar is truly a great idea, apple*tart!

I did one for 150 people one time and the prep was easy and done ahead, only having to reheat the meat and putting everything out just prior to service. I did some spanish rice with it as well, but for your sized crowd you might not need to.

Cinnamon Ice Cream (I posted the link under frozen treats awhile back) with chocolate sauce might be a fun dessert keeping in tune with what apple*tart said.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You could make a pork roast for everybody but the 'only eats chicken' person and make a chicken breast for that person.

You could do roast chicken for everybody but the 'won't eat chicken' person and something else for that person.

You could make a meatless tomato sauce and have pasta. You could grill a variety of meats on the grill to serve with the pasta.

You could take them all to a restaurant.
I like Andy's suggestions.

I would roast a chicken and make a meatless spaghetti sauce... Chicken and Pasta. Add a salad and a green vegetable, and if they don't like it, too bad! You are NOT a restaurant, and these are supposedly friends of yours.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:50 PM   #8
Head Chef

I would roast a whole chicken and a small pork roast
scallop potatoes - for veggies i would do broccoli and I alway do corn also as some will alway want corn and some dinner rolls.

desserrt i would make and apple pie