Question about Turkey recipe, of course

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh my, I’m not questioning her dietary choices at all! I’m going out of my way, with pleasure, to accommodate them! I just want to get the tastiest result to put a smile on her face! That’s why I don’t wanna use corn starch, because I think it should be used as thickening in Chinese food (in China, they just call it food), and even then, sparingly.
No, Joel, you misunderstood. That comment was for e'fox, who suggested that you ask her for details about this decision. I know you want to do your best for her [emoji2]

Cornstarch is not "not gluten heavy." It contains no gluten at all.

I'm not sure a holiday is the best time to question one's MIL about her dietary choices ;)
I agree about not "questioning" her dietary choices, but finding out how strict the no gluten compliance needs to be is probably a good idea. One person will think it's fine to take the croutons out of their salad. If the person has celiac, it's a whole other level. I will be asking myself about every single ingredient, "Could this be contaminated? Should I open a new package?" And there are levels in between.

I agree about not "questioning" her dietary choices, but finding out how strict the no gluten compliance needs to be is probably a good idea. One person will think it's fine to take the croutons out of their salad. If the person has celiac, it's a whole other level. I will be asking myself about every single ingredient, "Could this be contaminated? Should I open a new package?" And there are levels in between.
True, but people don't suddenly develop celiac disease.

My MIL has suddenly developed an intolerance for gluten, apparently. Can I use gluten-free flour to make the roux for the gravy?

True, but people don't suddenly develop celiac disease.
True, but they could suddenly find out that they have celiac. I would estimate that there is a 90% probability that it is just catching a fad about gluten. But, there is still the chance that it is something real.

I do usually add some Old Bay, or some Creole or Cajun seasoning, depending on what I’m using the shrimp for. Never added any vinegar to the cooking liquid though. A little dry vermouth or some white wine, maybe. What does the vinegar add? Wine vinegar? Cider vinegar? Balsamic? I’m curious to try it!

I do marinate my cooked shrimp in the pickling liquid from a jar of pickled jalapeños, along with a bunch of cilantro, some of the jalapeños, lime juice, and, if the occasion merits, a couple tablespoons of tequila. When I make this, though, I have to undercook the shrimp, as the pickling liquid and lime juice (and tequila) “cook” the shrimp like ceviche, and they can get chewy and dry.[/QUOTE]

IMO, it enhances the sweetness of the shrimp, lobster and crab. I use either white or cider. You do not have to cook the shrimp at all with the acid your using. The vermouth or wine would be an ingredient I would use in a court bouillon, but I wouldn't add any of those spices to it. Bay leaf, whole black pepper corns, the wine, water and a little salt.

Joel, I saw this last year and thought about trying it, but I'm hooked on Ted Allen's Deconstructed Turkey and Gravy recipe/method.
I'm sure you already know that ATC's method of dry brining is perfectly fine and I can't see a reason why you couldn't stuff the cavity with aromatics and some BUTTER! Which of course makes everything better!

As to your MIL being Gluten intolerant, if you're going to follow this recipe for the gravy as well, using AP GF Flour would work just fine for your roux, which this recipe calls for.... and to honest with you Joel, I do like gravy made from a roux so much better than a slurry or even my Mother's "cheat way" of making gravy with Wondra.

Pace yourself, don't stress out, read and re-read the recipe as you go along and most of all have fun. Food always tastes much more delicious when done with lots of love, that secret ingredient :)
Thanks! The turkey came out Norman Rockwell perfect! I used the ATK recipe and I did stuff the bird with some onion, apple, herbs, and garlic, and I rubbed a compound butter under the skin before I put it in the oven. I was a little dubious about the cooking times, but it worked perfectly! I made another, smaller turkey yesterday using the same process, just to make sure it wasn’t a fluke success. It proved not so, as yesterday’s turkey was perfect, too!

Back
Top Bottom