Question pertaining to making a few items for Thanksgiving ahead of time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
Hi all. I'm going to follow Pioneer Woman's advise and recipes for make ahead mashed and squash. I've had it in my plan book for awhile now. The problem is - when finished everything is in casserole dishes ready to be put into an oven to be reheated prior to eating the turkey dinner. I wonder if there would be any problems transferring to a pot and reheating on the stove instead of the oven. I mean, sounds like a silly question and I'm sure it's fine.

I got a lot of things I have to put into the oven when the turkey comes out of the oven and I don't want the turkey to be sitting there for tooo long. I got rolls, stuffing that will have to be reheated, and the potatoe and squash casserole dishes.

My plan was to take the turkey out when ready and put what I can fit into the oven to get reheated. Everything will be room temperature of course since i"ll be taking the potatoes and squash out of refrigerator a few hours before its time to reheat in oven.

You can put squash and potatoes in a pan to reheat slowly so they don't burn. You could also use the microwave.

I agree with the microwave idea simply because you'll have enough going on at the last minute to worry about burning by reheating on the stovetop. You could enlist a helper to microwave and make sure each dish is piping hot, then starting the next dish and cover the hot one with foil.

And don't you, when you take the turkey out of the oven, cover it with tinfoil and let it sit for awhile for the juices to run back into it?

I am planning on let it rest for at least 15 minutes to 1/2 hour.
I guess I'm a little nervous about how long it will take everything to reheat in the oven and the number of things I have to put in the oven after I take the turkey out (squash, stuffing, rolls, potatoes)

Another vote for the microwave. I also use my crockpots, set it on warm in the AM, stir occasionally, and hot all through dinner.

hamm4 said:
Another vote for the microwave. I also use my crockpots, set it on warm in the AM, stir occasionally, and hot all through dinner.

Almost forgot about the CPs, Hamm! They're wonderful for just about everything!

I am planning on let it rest for at least 15 minutes to 1/2 hour.
I guess I'm a little nervous about how long it will take everything to reheat in the oven and the number of things I have to put in the oven after I take the turkey out (squash, stuffing, rolls, potatoes)

All the more reason to reheat in the microwave, preferably with an assistant. While your turkey is resting, you're busy making gravy from the drippings.

I'll be using my crock pots as well. I'm making the mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes ahead of time and will throw them in the crock pots that morning. Oven space is precious!!

I have one of those serving trays--kind of like a steam table set up where you have a heating tray on the bottom and two or three or four stainless "holding" dishes that fit on top. This works great for reheating rolls and for holding veggies, etc. You can also use a fondue pot for holding gravy.

I have a big electric skillet that has a warm setting. I wonder if that would be good enuf to keep mashed potatoes warm. I'm making my mashed potatoes the day before. I'll take them out of the refrigerator a few hours before it's dinner time. Than I was thinking of reheating in this skillet. It's like a deep electric skillet so there is plenty of room for them. I"m using my ONLY crock pot to keep the squash warm.

I do alot in crock pot, I have 4 of them. From a Large family you learn plan b quick and the crock pot works great as the turkey is done everything else is.

When we all gather we do buffet style so the crock pots work well.
Happy Thanks giving all

Back
Top Bottom