"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 10-10-2006, 10:33 AM   #11
Head Chef

Kylie is right about fasting limited to those that are healthy. This year I only fast during the weekends and that too if I can make it. My blood iron is extremely low (almost non-existent) and I am on supplements and have to get my blood tested every week. I would be doing a disservice to my body, kids and family if I collapsed somewhere.

Here are the traditional foods that we eat when we break our fast

Fruits
Milk - Any kind of milkshake. The falooda being a treat that we absolutely love. It's milk that is layered with sweet rose syrup, jello cubes and basil seeds and vermicilli and topped with a dollop of icecream. Not sure if anyone on this forum has even heard about it. This is one of the must trys on my list of Indian drinks. You need the ingredients but if anyone is daring enough I can post the detail recipe.
Savories - Samosas mostly made with ground beef or lamb, kababs, or other forms of protein

People also tend to have large breakfasts (before sunrises and the fast goes into affect) - eggs, cooked spicy ground lamb, beef or chicken (similar to sausage concept) and tea or coffee.

The bigger food celebration is Eid that follows the fasting month. We offer morning prayers and then go visit friends and family and eat traditonal foods. For Indians and Pakistanis that means the following:

Shir Kurma - It's made with evaporated milk which is seasoned with sugar, saffron, cardamom and has all sorts of nuts in it (pistachio's, almonds, raisins, cashews) and also has sort of super super fine vermicilli (made specifically for this) and is served slightly warm. It is really delish.

Biryani - A super rich rice dish (Muslim speciality in India). It's layers of Rice and lamb (cooked with spices) layered with aromatic herbs, yogurt and fried onions. There is a healthy sprinkle of saffron in each layer and it's sealed and cooked slowly for a couple of hours. It is time consuming but extremely good. I'ts like the Paella of India.

Old 10-25-2006, 11:05 AM   #12
Head Chef

Yesterday was the end of Ramadan. I met some Muslim women from Indonesia last week who were expecting to have lost 1 to 2 pounds... :-) I learned from them that Ramadan is also a time for refraining from anger...

Happy Eid to those of you concerned!