"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 09-26-2006, 07:34 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Talking Ramadhan/Ramadan

For those who dont know, Ramadhan is a month for muslims, when we have to fast from dusk to dawn. Today is the third day going. Usually people get up early just before the sun comes out, to have as big a meal as possible to help them through the day. Its a month where muslims try to be more patient, more kind, and spend more time praying, and enjoying each other.

Its a beautiful time of year, its my favourite time of year, I love getting up so early in the morning, and eating around the table, and at night when we eat together. Very special time for muslims. Any otehr muslims on the board? Whatcha's eat ? We try to eat some proper proper food that will keep us going but its usually so hard to eat so early in the morning, this morning i had roti with a tuna curry. Anyone have ideas for food that can help keep me going?

Today the fast isnt 'finished' until around 7ish. I havent ate since 4 in the morning. I am feeling absolutely ravished already! and half the day hasnt even passed yet! How does one who love food so much live without it, lol.

I just needed to vent! Thanks to all who stayed to listen! lol

I wish all muslims a very Happy Ramadhan! May Allah give us the strength to endure these hours!

Old 09-26-2006, 08:40 AM   #2
Head Chef

Last week the Indonesian wife of my husband's colleague and I agreed to meet tomorrow for lunch. She called me yesterday to beg off after remembering it was Ramadan. We've postponed it to the next month. Both husband and wife are devout Muslims. The wife grew up in Hawaii. Last January they both made the pilgrimage to Mecca for the first time. A very nice couple. Happy Ramadan!

Old 09-27-2006, 01:00 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
That's a tough one for sure!!!!!! I take it you don't have any blood sugar problems - what would happen then? You would have to eat a pretty big mean with some hefty stick-to-your-ribs foods! Happy Ramadan!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:33 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Happy Ramadan to you Shamalicious! I'm sure it doesn't help visiting dc while you're fasting. I suppose I'd eat a lot of whole grain carbs to keep me going. Maybe a Snickers too.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:34 AM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
If you really have blood sugar problems, like diabetes, or other medical conditions that make it unsafe to fast, then you don't have to. One of my friends is diabetic and she pays someone in a poor country to fast for her. Ordinarily that person wouldn't be able to fast because they wouldn't be able to afford good quality food for the early and late meal. So it works both ways, my friend gets the fasting benefit by having a "proxy" and theperson fasting for her gets money so that the fast is safe.

If your pregnant or nursing you don't fast either, and you do it later!

I love Eid, the celebration after Ramadan. I am not sure how, but I have always managed to accumulate alot of Muslim friends and colleagues, and I often manage to get invited to some fabulous parties!
Old 09-27-2006, 06:06 AM   #6
Master Chef

We just got back from Turkey yesterday and they have some of the most beautiful mosques in the world----our seedy hotel(not one I would recommend to anyone) at least had a breathtaking view of the Blue Mosque and across all of Instanbul the mosques in the city were strung with lights that said "Happy Ramadar"--absolutely gorgeous!! Happy Ramadan!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 06:20 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles
... One of my friends is diabetic and she pays someone in a poor country to fast for her. Ordinarily that person wouldn't be able to fast because they wouldn't be able to afford good quality food for the early and late meal. So it works both ways, my friend gets the fasting benefit by having a "proxy" and theperson fasting for her gets money so that the fast is safe...
That's a priceless little cultural tidbit!!

I've been around folks celebrating Ramadan for ages. For non-muslims doing business with muslims in this part of the world, it usually it just means you can't get business done as usual ... as I'm sure our Christmas and Easter periods mean for them, mind you.

I remember working at an all-Lebanese company during Ramadan. "Grumpy" best describes those hungry bosses ... whenever they hadn't locked themselves in their offices to sleep it off!

Happy Eid.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:31 AM   #8
Head Chef

I was in Jakarta, Indonesia a few years ago during Ramadan. At the mall, I remember seeing KFC and similar fastfood outlets open for business but blinds were drawn covering all the glass walls/windows so one can't see who's eating inside. (I'm not sure who went in though, whether tourists or locals.)
Old 10-10-2006, 09:10 AM   #9
Master Chef

What an interesting line. Religious, cultural, and historical traditions when it comes to food fascinate me.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:22 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Happy Ramadan!
Are there traditional foods tht you eat when you break the fast each day?