"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 05-02-2005, 11:06 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Recommend: last peices to Mom's day dinner

Hi - first post here - hopefully this is the right place to put this question...

I'm looking for a recommendation for my mom day dinner. Here's the menu thus far:

Appetizer:
* Spinach and Artichoke dip – toast or shortening bread for dipping

Main Course:
* Salmon – dredged in honey/mustard/butter, top coated with bread crumbs and pecans – oven baked
* Oven roasted red potatoes, asparagus, and red peppers– garlic, EVOO, rosemary and thyme, lightly sprinkle balsamic after plated
* ?? another side / veggie?

Dessert:
* Strawberry shortcake.

My questions are:
Recommend another veggie / side
Does anything seem not to go together – any changes?
Are strawberries in season now for that dessert?

Thanks for your thoughts!!

Old 05-02-2005, 11:27 AM   #2
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Ruth
I would recommend a couscous dish because it's a nice light starch which you can flavor with pine nuts, mushrooms or anything else that your mom might like. (see http://www.neareast.com/index.asp?bhcp=1 for some couscous recipe ideas). And most importantly, it's extremely easy and quick to cook so that you won't be overwhelmed with everything else you're making.

Another option could be light side salad... maybe something with mixed baby greens, pears, gorgonzola, spicy honeyed pecans and a citrus vinaigrette dressing. That would tie in well with the salmon dish.

A third option could be a carrot dish:
Not to Sweet Ginger Honey Glazed Baby Carrots
4 cups baby carrots
1 tablespoon ginger, grated
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon butter
2 1/2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
pepper, to taste

1. Combine all ingredients in pot.
2. Cover and simmer 7 to 10 minutes until carrots are tender, adding more water if necessary.

Good luck!

Old 05-02-2005, 11:34 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

First off, welcome to the site

I think your menu sounds wonderful. I do not even think you need an additional side. If you really do want to add something else though (and who would argue against more food LOL) then Ruths suggestions are great. Couscous goes very well with fish. It soaks up the juices wonderfully and is so easy and quick to make. A nice salad is always a great way to start a meal as well.

We just had some strawberrys just the other night and they were delicious. I am not good with knowing when things are in season, but I am not too far from your neck of the woods so I am guessing if we have good strawberries then you should be able to find them too.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:15 PM   #4

I'd go with Ruth's suggestion for a side salad or maybe a quick corn saute ... sliced celery sauteed in butter, add couple tablespoons of pimentoes (or roasted red pepper) then frozen shoepeg or baby yellow corn, cover and cook for a few minutes till hot.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:14 PM   #5
Master Chef

Welcome to the site, ElmoVT! I'm with GB in thinking that your menu sounds wonderful just the way it is--your side has veggies and potatoes, so it should round out the meal nicely. If you want something extra, though, I, too like Ruth's ideas of a salad or couscous.

Here in PA, local strawberries are in season in very early June. I've been finding some pretty nice ones in the store lately but they're not local yet. As long as you don't have your heart set on local fresh berries, you should be able to find some good ones right now! The ones I've been getting are from CA or FL.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:59 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the advice and the warm welcome!

I think I have a decision to make. Either the koos-koos, or a simple salad should be perfect. And I'm definately not completely set on the dessert yet if the strawberries aren't available yet.

Thanks again, and I'll definately check back and let you know how it all turned out...and share some recipies too!
Old 05-02-2005, 02:02 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmoVT
I'll definately check back and let you know how it all turned out...and share some recipies too!
Now THAT is what we like to hear
Old 05-02-2005, 07:10 PM   #8
Head Chef

Welcome! I vote for some sort of salad (field greens, some feta and sliced olives sounds good). Come back and let us know how Mom liked the meal.