"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 10-16-2006, 09:50 PM   #11
Executive Chef

There was a reception, I've seen the pictures in their photo album. I just don't know where it was. Considering 1956, and knowing the bakery was practically right next to the church, my guess is the reception hall was very close, as well.
This might be easire if I could actually ask her these questions, but we really do want this small party to be a surprise.

The food would have been genuine Italian, made by women with knitting needles in their hair, at least one gold tooth per mouth, and at least one of them dressed in all black.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:52 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Don't you think there would have been a roast of some kind??? Would there not have been a meat course?

Old 10-16-2006, 09:53 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
That's a great description!!!!!

Don't you DARE make pumpkin tiramisu!!!!! Only the traditional will do for this occasion. You made me about fall out of my chair with that one! lol

Braciole for the meat sounds perfect!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:58 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

All bets are off if the wedding food was made by little old Italian ladies wearing black cotton stockings with their hair in buns.

I could guess what limited Italian food an American wedding in the 50s might have but not the real thing.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:04 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I could guess what limited Italian food an American wedding in the 50s might have but not the real thing.
Are you saying the food wasn't "real" Italian? You better make sure those little ladies still have the knitting needles in their hair!!!!

You might have missed the post about her mother being Italian! lol You better run for cover - here comes her mother! Just pretend that hammer is a cast iron skillet!

Old 10-16-2006, 10:05 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I know an italian woman in her mid seventies, and recall many fond memories of eating dinners at her house. Three things that stood out for me was the antipasta, the seafood (red) sauce with pasta (shrimp, lobster, mussels to name a few), and lots of italian pastries and lovely liquors to sip. Sometimes she would make a fish soup, not a chowder based soup. She made something called gardoon I think, but I have no idea what type of vegetable it was but she fried it (probably not appropriate for an anniversary dinner though). Also, her lasagna was fantastic, made with tiny meatballs, so yummy.
Amber,
the veggie you are thinking of is cardone, it looks like a giant bunch of celery. It's a pale silver green and looks almost velvety. You pull the stgins from each stalk as you do celery blanch it then dip in an egg batter and flour and fry it. I fix it here during the winter months when it comes into ceason.
kadesma
Old 10-16-2006, 10:06 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm saying the food at VB's parents weedding would have been the real thing.

However, the Italian food generally available to, and familiar to, the average American in the 50s would have been much more limited. Back then it was spaghetti and meatballs, ravioli and maybe lasagna. Desserts were pastries like canoli and lots of different cookies.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:08 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I'm saying the food at VB's parents weedding would have been the real thing.

However, the Italian food generally available to, and familiar to, the average American in the 50s would have been much more limited. Back then it was spaghetti and meatballs, ravioli and maybe lasagna. Desserts were pastries like canoli and lots of different cookies.
Boy did I read that wrong! lol

Old 10-16-2006, 10:13 PM   #19
Executive Chef

As kitchenelf suggested, braciole would be good.

Thanks for the info on the cardoon kadesma! It does resemble celery, and it was quite tasty fried up in the batter.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:14 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

It seems Italian foods are pretty popular for weddings We had a buffet for our reception that included..simple antipasti tray of salami, garbanzo beans,cheese,olives, peppers, the meal was ravioli with med meat sauce, chicken, roast beef,rice torta, stuffed zuchini and onions,.. green salad, baby artichokes in evoo and butter with parsley and garlic, sliced Italian bread and butter, coffee,tea,wine,etc.Our cake was Italian rum with a wipped cream like frosting, and of course the ever present jordan almonds and Torone candy to pass out to guests

kadesma