Saint Patrick's Day Dishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
I recently came across a picture of Corned Beef 'eggrolls' and thibnk this might be a spectacular nosh for St paddys day.

It looks like corned beef, cabbage or pickled cabbage and a little cheese with a dipping sauce. Anyone every tried anything like this?

egg.jpg

There's an Irish themed sports pub back home that is owned in part by friends of ours. They make ones with egg roll skins that they call, appropriately, "Irish Egg Rolls". The filling reads just like a Ruben sandwich: corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese. The Irish pub we eat at here in MA makes an appy called "Baked Corned Beef Shillelagh Sticks" that use puff pasty and fill it with corned beef hash.

I haven't tried making either version, but we do like the egg roll version so much more! The puff pastry version is "meh" (sorry, O'Connor's), but the name Shillelagh Sticks is much cuter. :LOL:

Just FYI, corned beef and cabbage is an American invention. Irish immigrants were behind it, but people in Ireland don't eat it.

"Corned beef and cabbage isn't actually the national dish of Ireland. You wouldn't eat it on St. Patrick's Day in Dublin, nor would you be likely to find it in Cork. It's typically only eaten around the holiday here in the U.S. So how did corned beef and cabbage become synonymous with the Irish?

During the time of the Irish immigration to the U.S., the first generation of Irish-Americans were in search of the comforting tastes of their homeland. On St. Paddy's Day that meant boiled bacon. But the immigrants were too poor to afford the high price of pork and bacon products. Instead, they turned to the cheapest cut of meat available: beef brisket. Given that New York City was a melting pot for immigrants from around the world, rather than boil the beef, the Irish adopted cooking methods from other cultures. Brining was a technique of the Eastern Europeans, which is a way of salt-curing meat. And the corn? Well, "corned" has nothing to do with corn but instead refers to the corn-sized salt crystals used during the brining process (In fact, corned beef is sometimes referred to as "pickled beef," as you are quite literally pickling brisket with this particular brining process.). The corned beef was paired with cabbage, as it was one of the cheapest vegetables available to the Irish immigrants."

From Delish.com.

CD

Just FYI, corned beef and cabbage is an American invention. Irish immigrants were behind it, but people in Ireland don't eat it.

I think that’s the funniest thing I’ve heard all day!

After the main dinner of corned beef brisket, potatoes, carrots, and cabbage, I look forward to the sandwiches more than anything. Toasted rye, 1000 Island spread, layers of thinly sliced corned beef, sliced swiss cheese, sauerkraut....and dill pickle spears on the side. :yum:

Last edited:
I recently came across a picture of Corned Beef 'eggrolls' and thibnk this might be a spectacular nosh for St paddys day.

It looks like corned beef, cabbage or pickled cabbage and a little cheese with a dipping sauce. Anyone every tried anything like this?

View attachment 33990
Can you please post the link to that recipe. It looks so good. TIA

...I look forward to the sandwiches more than anything...
We do too, Cheryl. That's why I always buy a couple extra when they're on sale this time of year. I've pick them up after St. Paddy's Day for about 1/3 less than the going price before March 17th. I've also missed out entirely because there were no leftover corned beefs in the store. :(

This year I'm hoping to have enough leftovers of everything from the pot so that I can try a Southern Living recipe for Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup.

I always look forward to a plate of hash after the traditional boiled dinner.

Another nice meal is Irish bangers with mashed, champ or colcannon served with a rich dark brown gravy.

My local Wegman's and Trader Joe's stock Irish Bangers. TJ's also offers a frozen champ but I haven't tried it.

We do too, Cheryl. That's why I always buy a couple extra when they're on sale this time of year. I've pick them up after St. Paddy's Day for about 1/3 less than the going price before March 17th. I've also missed out entirely because there were no leftover corned beefs in the store. :(

This year I'm hoping to have enough leftovers of everything from the pot so that I can try a Southern Living recipe for Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup.

My local Krogers has been running a "sale?" for corned beef briskets regular $5.49, for $3.39 a pound. I've bought 3 so far:blush:

My next door neighbor is Catholic Irish. She has more Irish in her than if she came from Ireland herself. Both her parents immigrated here from Ireland.

Now I am a Native American. But being on a salt free diet, she didn't want to cook a brisket. So I made the dinner for her with very little of the meat. I managed to remove about 99% of the salt from the meat. And I cooked the veggies in the last water change. She was thrilled.

I do believe I made a mistake. She is now convinced that I am Irish. She will admit that I don't look very Irish, more Native American.

I doubt if I will ever be able to change her mind. So if she wants to think I am Irish, I guess it won't hurt.

I just want to know though, when do we celebrate Chief Crazy Horse's victory over the white man? And what could I possibly cook for that celebration?

Does anyone have a preferred brand of corned beef they buy?

We get Mosey's at Costco.

I make my own. The tricky part is finding brisket. It's easy and doesn't take much work. It does take about a week, but most that time is letting it sit in the fridge. Maybe I'll try some other cuts of beef or even pork.

I make my own. The tricky part is finding brisket. It's easy and doesn't take much work. It does take about a week, but most that time is letting it sit in the fridge. Maybe I'll try some other cuts of beef or even pork.

Down here in Texas, every grocery store has plenty of brisket in stock, 365 days a year. Brisket is the unofficial State Meat of Texas.

CD

Hash and pastrami are what I look forward to when corned beef goes on sale. Corned beef makes a great head start for pastrami on the smoker!

Back
Top Bottom