Salsa and Rice - 900 cups of Mexican rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LT72884

Head Chef
Any one ever had Salsa mixed with rice. Just those two ingredients nothing else?

im asking because i have to cook 900 cups of Mexican rice and i need it to be simple.

thanx in advance

No, but the recipe I use for Mexican rice is almost that simple :) I think the only other things I use are sauteed garlic and onions, maybe some green pepper, and chicken broth. You can make it with salsa and rice, but you will need more liquid - water or broth.

Absolutely and it's great. Chose a good salsa that has all the right ingredients - onions, garlic, tomatoes, peppers and all you have to do is fry the rice BEFORE adding the salsa. The rice MUST be fried in oil before. Make sure to sprinkle some ground cumin in there for the authentic Mexican taste and salt and pepper to taste and you're in business. Good luck.

Yes, I have sometimes mixed a jarred salsa dip with boiled rice. It is a good tasting combination - as Dina saya choose your salsa carefully - it will do well.

Yes, I like to use the salsa that has corn and black beans in it when mixing with rice. Good luck!

ok thanx guys,

i know that there are some really complicated mexican rice recipes out there but i dont need complicated right now. i have a month left to cook for 900 people and i have to have 120 people minimum from each church building to help me cook everything. there are 7 buildings involved so thats alot of people for me to contact.

but i owe you guys one

The cans of RoTel make great rice!!!!! You can certainly do without the sauteed onions, garlic, peppers for the sake of making this easy. I would be tempted to choose several different flavors of salsa. Like I said, the RoTel is amazing and they already have the onions, cilantro, and lime in them!!!!! That's a BIG plus!

Like Dina says (she is the expert, I have realized), absolutely. You can either cook the rice using salsa as part of the liquid (preferred) or mix it into cooked rice. Some beans would also be a good addition if you want to bulk it up a bit, and dried pinto or black beans are inexpensive and easy to cook by the BIG potful.

Back
Top Bottom