"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 03-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Why do I never get to be by strawberry fields or orange groves...I always have an onion or garlic field nearby...oh yeah, Ogre....

Old 03-02-2014, 07:41 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
They might be, but this is peak season for Florida berries - the superior tasting variety in my opinion. We went to spring training down in Winter Haven a couple years in a row. All March long the scent of strawberry was in the air all through the growing area. California berries seem to be improving in flavor lately. I've also noticed that the Cali berries (not to be confused with Halle Berry) are getting smaller. Bigger is not always better.
--
Since this is as much about Fat Tuesday, I once read Louisiana produces superior Strawberries too.

I have never seen Florida berries make it this far north. Dang railroaders and shippers all have berry stained fingers all along their routes. We were on vacation in south Fl. Saw a "Pick your own berries" sign. It was a tarmac parking lot with oversized Styrofoam tiered pots of berries. Very efficient, no need to get your knees all dirty bending over, and when the ripe berries were picked, they could just wheel in new pots. Very tasty too, I might add.

The California berries we usually get are of the "bigger is better" type, often not as juicy. I Know, having tasted, there are non-hybridized juicy full flavored berries grown in Ca. They may not ship as well.

However, in early March when the temps and weather are iffy, one should be satisfied with what is available --
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fark_3YPDJae7KkW8JuGOOQ6D5d6vsaY.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	20857  

Old 03-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #13
Executive Chef

No comments about the March Hare enjoying its pancakes ?

I stirred up a batch of Buttermilk pancakes and the batter is starting to bubble in the bowl.

Going to legally enjoy pancakes for breakfast today. No berries. Butter and maple syrup.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #14
Master Chef

I don't care to find a hare in my pancakes!

Great picture!

I cheated this morning and made a pouch of buttermilk pancake mix.

Three fat pancakes with real maple syrup, butter and some crispy bacon washed down with a glass of skim milk!

The poor old glucometer went over 300 this morning!
Old 03-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #15
Executive Chef

O yes. I forgot to mention. I have bacon on hand right now too. I don't often buy bacon because if it gets too crispy or is too wobbly, it is hard to chew. Been paying real close attn. so it gets cooked just right.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #16
Certified Cake Maniac

I am making some gluten/dairy/egg free pancakes for our breakfast. They are not as bad as they sound, in fact they are rather good because I use a coconut milk/flax meal mixture for the eggs and it gives them a light texture and nice flavour (no, they don't taste of coconut).

I use my ceramic non-stick pan so very little oil is needed and yet they still come out brown and yummy.

We always had pancakes on "Fat Tuesday" but I didn't know the significance until I grew up and started going to church. TB had the tradition in his family as well so we have just made it work for us!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #17
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
O yes. I forgot to mention. I have bacon on hand right now too. I don't often buy bacon because if it gets too crispy or is too wobbly, it is hard to chew. Been paying real close attn. so it gets cooked just right.
I think I will do some bacon for TB, but I have to stay away from fat so will have some fresh fruit instead!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I think I will do some bacon for TB, but I have to stay away from fat so will have some fresh fruit instead!

Jack Sprat could eat no fat. His wife could eat no lean. And so betwixt the two of them They licked the platter clean.

Sorry. It just popped into my head.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:30 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
Thank you Mad Cook.

I was wondering why all the church's around here were having pancake suppers next Tuesday.

Now I know.

BTW. I think Tuesday is the 4th.

At least on this side of the pond.
Durr, so it was. (I could have said that I was just testing but I decided to be honest)
Old 03-05-2014, 05:56 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
--
Since this is as much about Fat Tuesday, I once read Louisiana produces superior Strawberries too.

I have never seen Florida berries make it this far north. Dang railroaders and shippers all have berry stained fingers all along their routes. We were on vacation in south Fl. Saw a "Pick your own berries" sign. It was a tarmac parking lot with oversized Styrofoam tiered pots of berries. Very efficient, no need to get your knees all dirty bending over, and when the ripe berries were picked, they could just wheel in new pots. Very tasty too, I might add.

The California berries we usually get are of the "bigger is better" type, often not as juicy. I Know, having tasted, there are non-hybridized juicy full flavored berries grown in Ca. They may not ship as well.

However, in early March when the temps and weather are iffy, one should be satisfied with what is available --
Love the bunny rabbit is s/he a family member?

Blueberries as on sale here all year round. Much hyped as a "super food" so very expensive. The thing is, they don't taste of anything. Knowing the American passion for blueberries I assume they don't travel well or else someone has developed a strain that produces quantity at the cost of quality. Mostly they seem to be imported from South America
I wonder if they taste better cooked. Probably not.

We do, however have bilberries, (aka whinberries, whortleberries, etc) which are related to blueberries. They have a very limited season and are very delicate so aren't much grown commercially but years ago people used to go in droves onto the moors to pick them for making pies, jam etc. I can remember my grandmother making bilberry pie once a year when I was little and even today one of the family-run butchers in Glossop (north Derbyshire) sells their own home baked bilberry pies using local wild bilberries. Sadly the season doesn't coincide with pancake day although we can buy jars of Polish bilberries but they aren't the same.

Tags
cake