"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 03-05-2014, 05:58 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I don't care to find a hare in my pancakes!

Great picture!

I cheated this morning and made a pouch of buttermilk pancake mix.

Three fat pancakes with real maple syrup, butter and some crispy bacon washed down with a glass of skim milk!

The poor old glucometer went over 300 this morning!
Glad to see you're eating healthily

Old 03-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Shrove Tuesday or Fat Tuesday has more of a Polish slant in my area, many people refer to it as Doughnut Day or Paczki Day.

Paczki Day - All About Paczki Day - Polish Paczki

I learned a New Food.

Pooooooooooooooooooooonchki -- filled doughnuts with different jams or preservers or whipped cream or custard. I know these as bismarks or jelly doughnuts. Paczki look similar. I hope these are not just for Shrove Tuesday. There is a local eastern European meat market/ bakery I intend to check out.

"Love the bunny rabbit is s/he a family member?"

Mad Cook, the bunny closely resembles the rascally rabbit ( minus the pancakes) who lives in my garden, that I would love to see in my stew pot, since it lives entirely on organically raised vegetables and is a very finicky eater when it comes to just nibbling flower buds and tips as they emerge in the spring.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Durr, so it was. (I could have said that I was just testing but I decided to be honest)
Don't feel bad, I had to ask Shrek this morning what day it was for sure. We have too much going on this week and of course I dreamed about already being at work today, hence the confusion.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I learned a New Food.

Pooooooooooooooooooooonchki -- filled doughnuts with different jams or preservers or whipped cream or custard. I know these as bismarks or jelly doughnuts. Paczki look similar. I hope these are not just for Shrove Tuesday. There is a local eastern European meat market/ bakery I intend to check out.

"Love the bunny rabbit is s/he a family member?"

Mad Cook, the bunny closely resembles the rascally rabbit ( minus the pancakes) who lives in my garden, that I would love to see in my stew pot, since it lives entirely on organically raised vegetables and is a very finicky eater when it comes to just nibbling flower buds and tips as they emerge in the spring.
With a diet like that it would taste very good. I like wild rabbit. A completely different meat to the rabbits bred in captivity. The posh butcher in Glossop often has wild rabbits shot locally. Yum.

A shop near where I used to work sold their own make of "fudge" donuts filled with caramel custard an d toffee icing. They may not have been traditional but they were divine. I wouldn't care if I never saw chocolate again but I'd kill for caramel and toffee things.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:30 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Love the bunny rabbit is s/he a family member?

Blueberries as on sale here all year round. Much hyped as a "super food" so very expensive. The thing is, they don't taste of anything. Knowing the American passion for blueberries I assume they don't travel well or else someone has developed a strain that produces quantity at the cost of quality. Mostly they seem to be imported from South America
I wonder if they taste better cooked. Probably not.

We do, however have bilberries, (aka whinberries, whortleberries, etc) which are related to blueberries. They have a very limited season and are very delicate so aren't much grown commercially but years ago people used to go in droves onto the moors to pick them for making pies, jam etc. I can remember my grandmother making bilberry pie once a year when I was little and even today one of the family-run butchers in Glossop (north Derbyshire) sells their own home baked bilberry pies using local wild bilberries. Sadly the season doesn't coincide with pancake day although we can buy jars of Polish bilberries but they aren't the same.
Mad Cook, much of the commercial blueberries here also taste like nothing. Or dust. The best flavor comes from wild caught. I have two blueberry shrubs that produce tasty berries, they were quite prolific last year, hope they do it again.

Tags
cake