"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 03-13-2006, 11:52 AM   #31
Master Chef

yes, the event is tomorow, will take pictures and report then.

Old 03-15-2006, 11:04 AM   #32
Master Chef

Big success! Party went very well, of course, there were some screw ups, but I really have to brag about my self, people loved the food. And even though party was kosher and thus the limitations that came with that, people who came, majority of people, do not keep kosher on the regular bases and eat out, so unlike me they know the taste of real Mexican foods. Everybody liked it. The biggest praise came from this couple he is from Puerto Rico and she is from Ecuador, okay they are not from Mexico, but their taste buds are probably closer to it than any Minnesotans. There was about 150 people and most everything went. The only thing that was really left was beef fajita meat, but we had it too much of it anyway, (by mistake the original order of meat was supposed to be half beef and half chicken, it all came as beef, so I made everything, who knew that they would get more chicken) and honestly it was not as good as chicken or ground beef. The biggest flop was guacamole, which I was supposed to make fresh right before party, of course, there is always a good soul that wants to help, that decided that she can make the guacamole so I wouldn’t have to wary when I come and could just relax and enjoy my family, how could I get mad at some body like that. So, nobody ate the guacamole. No big deal. The biggest success was Mexican chicken soup, the one I was told nobody would eat, huh, they did not have enough soup bowls (if you can believe it) so people were using cups, it was so goooood.

Anyway, enough bragging. I would like to thank everybody on line and off line who contributed their time and knowledge to make this party great. Thank you my friends. I hope to put pictures in latter, not sure if they came out well, I doubt.

Old 03-15-2006, 11:27 AM   #33
Sous Chef

Charlie- I am so glad this all worked out for you- It sounds like you had a pretty wonderful night- I'm glad you enjoyed yourself as well as had a great sense of accomplishment!!!!!Much Congrats all around !!!!!Love and energy, Vicki
Old 03-15-2006, 02:14 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

bravo, Charlie. You did well.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:44 PM   #35
Master Chef

Have to brag some more. One of the organisers just called, apparantly one of the guests was A mexican guy, form Mexico, on a visit here. He came to them at the end of the event and said ask where they found such a good Mexican chef, when they told him it wasn't noe a chef, and definitely not Mexican, he said "that guy really knows how to cook Mexican food". Wow, I am so happy, not even for my self but for the fact that people got to eat good food.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:07 PM   #36
Master Chef

BRAVO! Hey, I, too, love to brag when a party is a success, and I've never attempted that many people (the most I've done is maybe 50). How did your friend mess up guacamole? It is so easy (the biggest problem being that it has to be done pretty much at the last minute, when you're busy with everything else). Or did your guests just not like avocado?
Old 03-19-2006, 01:19 AM   #37
Master Chef

no, they just moshed avocado and called guaacomole, it was embarassing
Old 02-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #38
Certified Cake Maniac

CharlieD,
I have just found this forum while, of all things trying to find a recipe or site that will help me calculate how much meat I need for tacos to feed 125! We are having a Mexican Fiesta this weekend and I cook Mexican and cook for crowds all the time but for some reason have never put the two together.

A do-it-yourself Taco bar is one of the easiest things to do because you just have to cook the meat ahead and have it in the steam tray along with the shells which you have crisped in the oven (go have hard and half 6-8 inch soft shell flour tortillas). I am seeing that you should allow 1 1/2 to 2 ounces of cooked meat per taco and 2-4 tacos per person.

Condiments include shredded lettuce, shredded cheese (a tex mex mix of cheddar, monterey Jack and Mozzarella is good), diced tomatoes and salsa. Extras can include sour cream, guacamole, sliced black olives, green onions and/or chopped bell peppers (red and/or green).

I am making my meat mild and then putting out salsa, hot sauce and crushed chilies so people can set their own heat.

I am also making Mexican rice (can give you my recipe) and putting some salad as well as it has been requested.

For dessert we are just serving ice cream buffet style as well, with sprinkles in fiesta colours, chocolate chips, etc. and 3 homemade sauces.

Hope this helps.

Laurie
Old 02-22-2007, 02:36 PM   #39
Certified Cake Maniac

Okay, sorry, I came in in the midst of this, saw that it was Feb 22, missed the 2006 and thought is was today. Oops! Sorry about that. This is what happens when you are a newbie to a list!
Old 02-22-2007, 02:59 PM   #40
Master Chef

No big deal, I'm still here. What was your estimate for ground meat? I'd say 20 - 25 lb should be enough. You have all other ingredients.