"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 02-22-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
Master Chef

Some people ...

I belong to this organization/club/religious group, call it what you wish, that is not important.
We do this event once a year and I usually make Chinese for it. No big deal, maybe 100 people or so, I have the routine down to the “t”. So this year a person in charge calls my wife, or other way around, and they start talking about the event and how she wants to do Mexican theme and food this year, and is asking my wife for ideas. Oh, great, I do not have to be involved, they are hiring somebody to cook Mexican, I told my self. Yeah, right. Last night she calls me and asks what day am I available to cook. To cook?! I don’t know how to make Mexican and not for 100 people. Where do people get the cahones to ask such thing? I really do not mind cooking, but I really never cooked Mexican food. Now add to it that it is Kosher, which means I can’t just pull a recipe from internet and go make it, it has to be adapted and change to fit for Kosher, and not even Kosher style that some places would do, I mean Real Kosher. I’m not even talking about the fact that I already committed my self to cook for somebody else for that same kind of event on the same day. That was my spaghetti question for 100 people.
I can’t say no, I can’t tell them that they are idiots should think ahead and at least have decency to ask.

Well okay, now that I’m done venting I should ask for your help to plan this party and cooking advice. How do I make Mexican/Spanish rice for that many people? We’ll have soft taco shells (I hope) so we can make station where people can just load the tacos themselves. What can I make for such station? Mexican corn, any good recipe for it? I have pretty good recipe for guacamole, but probably should make salsa too. Any advice for it? Any advice on freezing stuff, the event is in the middle of the week and I would have to cook on Sunday before.
I can search internet, but maybe somebody has some solid tried-and-true recipe.

Old 02-22-2006, 12:54 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I think you should vent for a few more hours! Good luck! I wish I had some recipes for you but... Hubby doesn't like Mexican ( other than fajitas) so don't have many ideas.

Old 02-22-2006, 01:28 PM   #3
Head Chef

CharlieD, you must be a saint. I probably would have just said I had another commitment.

Just an idea, and have no idea how hard this would be to turn into a strict Kosher dish, but it seems to me, no expert am I, that most items would fit.

How about a chicken/turkey mole? Could make a couple of pans and freeze.

Serve with tortillas, a side of guacamole salad, and maybe some Mexican rice, or beans.

It seems that everything could be done before, except for the guac.

Just an idea.

It is certainly easier to do a taco station with some meat, lettuce, tomatoes, the usual stuff, salsa and hot stuff. Some beans, and the Spanish rice.

Anyway, agree totally with pdswife that I would probably be venting for a lot longer than you did.

If you want to give it another go, be our guests.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:55 PM   #4
Master Chef

I'm still venting, inside. But have to work on the menu, will have to do venting later. I like the mole idea, exept i have no idea what it is. I personally do not like Mexican, that is why i am not familiar with it.So tell me more.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
I love mexican food,tamales,enchillidas,taco salads,taco's,burrito's,mexican rice,refried beans,nacho's and maybe some chili?
Old 02-22-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
Master Chef

It all sounds fine, the problem is I wouldn't know the difference between taco or burito if it ihead over the head.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:44 PM   #7
Head Chef

I would agree with Kimbaby on ...
* enchiladas ... could be made casserole style (layered tortillas, meat mixture & cheese - I have a recipe, not kosher though, if you think you might be able to use it) OR could be rolled, sauced and baked. Either way, they would do well in chaf'ing pans (I know I'm not spelling that right - sorry!).
* taco salads and burritos ... if you are doing a "do it yourself" taco station, just have the salad shells and larger burrito shells ready for people to make those too. You could have a nice "diagram" of how to do them for people to see so you are not explaining it 100 times. I would think something like that might be available on line.
* mexican rice ... we do ours with spanish rice - cooked with tomato and extra onion & green pepper and then add corn. Would also do well in a chaf'ing dish.

Also, when we had our community picnic last year, there were several Hispanic booths and the most popular was something they called "Mexican Corn" ... they grilled ears of corn that were sprinkled with chili powder and then served with mayonaise and lemon wedges. I know, sounds odd (at least it did to me) but it was delicious.

Also, someone suggested fajitas ... another easy station as the ingredients don't have to be kept separate (except the fillings you may want to use like sour cream, beans or lettuce) so they could do well in a chaf'ing dish as well.

How much time and how many helpers do you have for this?
Good Luck!!
Old 02-22-2006, 02:54 PM   #8
Head Chef

Taco's will be smaller shells and generally only include meat, cheese, lettuce, and tomato (and I think authentic taco's don't even have the lettuce actually). You can add extra's like onion and sour cream, depending on how big your mouth is (smile). You know the traditional shape of them (like a u) from hard shells but soft can be folded the same way, just in your hand.
A burrito on the other hand is enclosed ... where in Minnesota are you? If you are in the Cities, I would HIGHLY recommend you visit Bravo Burrito near the university as they have been the most authentic variation I have had (there used to be one in St. Cloud but I think it closed - boo hoo). You can fill them with whatever I have found (and tasted). Meat, beans, cheese and rice are the base - then add what you would like. Fold 2 sides in so they are covering about 1/2 of your tortilla. Then roll from one side to the other, enclosing your burrito. The shell is larger than a taco shell and are flour, not corn.
Does that help?
How many stations are you looking at having? Do you have servers or are you looking to do it all self serve / buffet style?

I honestly think that you will find this to be easier than you might think since it is "user friendly" like chinese food is. It's really (imVho) the same ingredients just presented in a variety of ways with each having a slightly different flare added to them...

You can doooo it!
Old 02-22-2006, 03:29 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger
I would agree with Kimbaby on ...
* enchiladas ... could be made casserole style (layered tortillas, meat mixture & cheese - I have a recipe, not kosher though, if you think you might be able to use it) OR could be rolled, sauced and baked. Either way, they would do well in chaf'ing pans (I know I'm not spelling that right - sorry!).
* taco salads and burritos ... if you are doing a "do it yourself" taco station, just have the salad shells and larger burrito shells ready for people to make those too. You could have a nice "diagram" of how to do them for people to see so you are not explaining it 100 times. I would think something like that might be available on line.
* mexican rice ... we do ours with spanish rice - cooked with tomato and extra onion & green pepper and then add corn. Would also do well in a chaf'ing dish.

Also, when we had our community picnic last year, there were several Hispanic booths and the most popular was something they called "Mexican Corn" ... they grilled ears of corn that were sprinkled with chili powder and then served with mayonaise and lemon wedges. I know, sounds odd (at least it did to me) but it was delicious.

Also, someone suggested fajitas ... another easy station as the ingredients don't have to be kept separate (except the fillings you may want to use like sour cream, beans or lettuce) so they could do well in a chaf'ing dish as well.

How much time and how many helpers do you have for this?
Good Luck!!
i forgot the fajitas... how could I forget them,they are delicious....
Old 02-22-2006, 03:40 PM   #10
Master Chef

Thinking of bufet style, not sure how many helpers if any i will have, that is why I'm looking for things that are esy to freeze and then serve in the chafing dishes.