"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 02-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
This would fill the "fancy" requirement perfectly

You're absolutely correct, Sharon. I like this salad for a crowd for several reasons. It's actually simple to prepare and, while appealling to the taste makes a dramatic visual impact as well.

BTW, when I serve it I quarter the eggs with a corrugated cutter and arrange them in a rosette, with the olives in the middle. Sort of like a black-eyed Susan.

Although vichyssoise, gazpecho, and the like are really great soups, the event is in April, right? A bit early, IMO, for a cold soup. Given the high-fashion nature of the event, a clear or light soup is the way to go. Those women don't even want to look at anything hearty; not out in public, anyway.

This also raises an issue about breadstuff. On a soup/salad table you almost can't not have bread. But given the audience...... Just something to think about.
This would be so much fun (asparagus spears w/shrimp etc.) The one drawback is that I know the ladies I'm working with on this will veto shrimp, saying for 175 people, there's bound to be someone allergic to shellfish, and they won't want to plan alternatives for the allergic. We could still do the "black-eyed Susan" garnish on another salad, though...
April event - yes - but in Memphis. But I do agree that hot soup, cold salad is the way to go.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #32
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Cheese burger soup is a soup and salad in one bowl.
Cheeseburger Soup... ! Now we're back to sandwich and soup...? But Cheeseburger Soup... going to look for that recipe just because.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Tomato Consomme with a Salad Niçoise
The Salad Niçoise is sounding good... we could get fancy with the eggs and olives on that.

And I remembered a Tomato Soup with Pancetta that I've made before that might be good with it. The soup is garnished with rye bread croutons, which might be all the bread we'd need with this group.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #34
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbSheila View Post
What about a nice stuffed pepper soup? Some sausage with a tomato base and a bunch of veggies and light spices. Not spicy hot but spices.

Can never go wrong with chicken noodle of course and there are some various ways to change that up.

Def have some homemade breads if you can!

Id love to go to a soup and salad luncheon. Sweet Tomatoes is one of my favorite restaurants bc of it!
Stuffed Pepper Soup sounds good. Do you have a recipe?
We don't have a Sweet Tomatoes restaurant here...
Old 02-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
tomato basil bisque and green salad with sautéed shrimp. probably romaine, artichoke hearts, grape tomatoes, hard boiled egg slices. purple onions and mushrooms. will serve home made oriental dressing (very low calories) on the side. perhaps you could just increase ingredients to serve more people.
Wonder if I could get your recipe for Tomato Basil Bisque??
Sounds like a wonderful salad, too.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
there's bound to be someone allergic to shellfish, and they won't want to plan alternatives for the allergic.

That's too bad.

But keep in mind that in any group that large there are bound to be allergies, intorerances, and sensitivities. You can't control for them all without offering alternatives.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
there's bound to be someone allergic to shellfish, and they won't want to plan alternatives for the allergic.

That's too bad.

But keep in mind that in any group that large there are bound to be allergies, intorerances, and sensitivities. You can't control for them all without offering alternatives.
I am one of those that are allergic to certain shellfish. But it is my responsibility to know what I am eating. As long as there are other choices, I am happy. I never expect others to meet my dietary needs. I am diabetic, but I don't expect to find a menu based on that. I will pick and choose what I can and cannot eat.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #38
Assistant Cook

Are you limited to just a couple types of salads or soups?

I have a recipe in my book at home. Will try to remember to post it when I go home.

We don't have a sweet tomatoes here but when I go visit my family in Orlando, I make them go with me. So yummy.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Addie, I live with (and cook for) a diabetic, so know all about that sort of dietary restriction.

My point was simply that 175 women is a fairly large group, and that if the sponsors confine themselve to only one choice they are guaranteeing that some of those women will not be able to eat the meal.

It's not merely a matter of picking and choosing. If, for instance, somebody has a gluten restriction, they merely skip the bread. No big deal. But if a major component of the dish cannot be eaten, then they are left out in the cold---after paying for an event that guaranteed them a "gourmet" luncheon.

There are good ways of dealing with that issue. But ignoring it is not one of them.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Maybe a nice cool gazpacho with shrimp salad or good old chicken soup and a fresh veg and noodle salad? So many soups and salads it's a bit of tough question :)
It's about time we saw your pixels again, you have been missed!

Tags
salad, soup