Soup and Salad Luncheon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not big on creamy soups, but recently somebody asked me to make it for about 100 people. Instead I made vegetable soup and pureed the whole thing, people loved it. It was creamy without the cream. And in April it would be nice to have baby greens or a spring mix, I think it’s called, with some vinegrate dressing.

In looking back over all the great suggestions, I saw that I wrote "I like the idea of a creamy soup with cream" - I mean to write "without cream". :wacko:
The first response sounds so RUDE.

Many years ago, in Boston, there was a Viennese type cafe that served a sort of shrimp-louis salad, that I've adapted. This would pair nicely with a petit marmit, or even just a plain consume.

For each serving you'll need several asparagus spears, two or three large shrimp, a few black olives, hard-boiled egg, cut in quarters, and Louis dressing.

Steam the asparagus, poach the shrimp. Then lay them out stylishly on the plate. How you do this depends on the shape and size of the plate. But, in general, you want the asparagus in a bunch, with the shrimp arranged prettily on top of it. Garnish with the egg wedges and olives.

Nap the shrimp and part of the asparagus with Louis dressing. Have extra dressing available on the side.

One nice thing about this dish is that all the cooking can be done ahead of time, leaving only assembly for service.
This would fill the "fancy" requirement perfectly. I've done something like it before, a composed salad with shrimp and remoulade - but for a different group. Good idea - and doing everything ahead is a great idea.

Last edited:
Here are some suggestions that have not been mentioned. Many of the ideas, are very lovely. I just did not wish to repeat same ... Thought about " these ladies wish to have something special, innovative, new and different " ... something they cannot eat at home or make.
Yes, just so. The event is a fundraiser, includes fashion show and "trash and treasure" shop and is advertised as including "gourmet luncheon" so need something surprising.
Oh my word --- so many choices... so few luncheons. :LOL:
You have a huge storehouse of great food in your head! thanks!

It's soup and SALAD pairings. I like a combo of light and heavier in either direction.

Vichyssoise and a simple Arugula Salad with shaved parmesan and a lemon vinaigrette

Tomato Consomme with a Salad Nicoise

Thank you. I thought I had lost my mind or ability to read properly. Is there such a thing as a salad sandwich? :ermm:

yes, a lettuce wrap a la korean bbq. :chef:

just another thought, you could do a thai/malaysian theme with tom yum gai for the soup, and a salad of baby greens, shredded carrots and red onions, thai basil, cubed mango, julienned peppers, crushed peanuts, and water chestnuts in a ginger garlic dressing.

Friday: From Margi

@ Sharon T.

Thanks for the compliment. I am a Corresponding Journalist and the food, wine and travel editor for the oldest English lang. magazine in the Iberian Peninsula, catering to Embassies, diplomats and ambassadors. Thus, the
food and wine chip ! It is part of the Mediterranean culture, to discuss food and how´s and why´s -- an old Italian Adage: "one must be happy at the table" ... we love to sit and discuss gastronomy and wines, from A to Z ... ( or do not sit down ! )

Have a nice wkend.
M.C.

Maybe a nice cool gazpacho with shrimp salad or good old chicken soup and a fresh veg and noodle salad? So many soups and salads it's a bit of tough question :)

This would fill the "fancy" requirement perfectly

You're absolutely correct, Sharon. I like this salad for a crowd for several reasons. It's actually simple to prepare and, while appealling to the taste makes a dramatic visual impact as well.

BTW, when I serve it I quarter the eggs with a corrugated cutter and arrange them in a rosette, with the olives in the middle. Sort of like a black-eyed Susan.

Although vichyssoise, gazpecho, and the like are really great soups, the event is in April, right? A bit early, IMO, for a cold soup. Given the high-fashion nature of the event, a clear or light soup is the way to go. Those women don't even want to look at anything hearty; not out in public, anyway.

This also raises an issue about breadstuff. On a soup/salad table you almost can't not have bread. But given the audience...... Just something to think about.

Last edited:
What about a nice stuffed pepper soup? Some sausage with a tomato base and a bunch of veggies and light spices. Not spicy hot but spices.

Can never go wrong with chicken noodle of course and there are some various ways to change that up.

Def have some homemade breads if you can!

Id love to go to a soup and salad luncheon. Sweet Tomatoes is one of my favorite restaurants bc of it!

This would fill the "fancy" requirement perfectly

You're absolutely correct, Sharon. I like this salad for a crowd for several reasons. It's actually simple to prepare and, while appealling to the taste makes a dramatic visual impact as well.

BTW, when I serve it I quarter the eggs with a corrugated cutter and arrange them in a rosette, with the olives in the middle. Sort of like a black-eyed Susan.

Although vichyssoise, gazpecho, and the like are really great soups, the event is in April, right? A bit early, IMO, for a cold soup. Given the high-fashion nature of the event, a clear or light soup is the way to go. Those women don't even want to look at anything hearty; not out in public, anyway.

This also raises an issue about breadstuff. On a soup/salad table you almost can't not have bread. But given the audience...... Just something to think about.
This would be so much fun (asparagus spears w/shrimp etc.) The one drawback is that I know the ladies I'm working with on this will veto shrimp, saying for 175 people, there's bound to be someone allergic to shellfish, and they won't want to plan alternatives for the allergic. We could still do the "black-eyed Susan" garnish on another salad, though...
April event - yes - but in Memphis. :) But I do agree that hot soup, cold salad is the way to go.

Tomato Consomme with a Salad Niçoise
The Salad Niçoise is sounding good... we could get fancy with the eggs and olives on that.

And I remembered a Tomato Soup with Pancetta that I've made before that might be good with it. The soup is garnished with rye bread croutons, which might be all the bread we'd need with this group.

What about a nice stuffed pepper soup? Some sausage with a tomato base and a bunch of veggies and light spices. Not spicy hot but spices.

Can never go wrong with chicken noodle of course and there are some various ways to change that up.

Def have some homemade breads if you can!

Id love to go to a soup and salad luncheon. Sweet Tomatoes is one of my favorite restaurants bc of it!

Stuffed Pepper Soup sounds good. Do you have a recipe?
We don't have a Sweet Tomatoes restaurant here... :(

tomato basil bisque and green salad with sautéed shrimp. probably romaine, artichoke hearts, grape tomatoes, hard boiled egg slices. purple onions and mushrooms. will serve home made oriental dressing (very low calories) on the side. perhaps you could just increase ingredients to serve more people.
Wonder if I could get your recipe for Tomato Basil Bisque?? :yum:
Sounds like a wonderful salad, too.

there's bound to be someone allergic to shellfish, and they won't want to plan alternatives for the allergic.

That's too bad.

But keep in mind that in any group that large there are bound to be allergies, intorerances, and sensitivities. You can't control for them all without offering alternatives.

there's bound to be someone allergic to shellfish, and they won't want to plan alternatives for the allergic.

That's too bad.

But keep in mind that in any group that large there are bound to be allergies, intorerances, and sensitivities. You can't control for them all without offering alternatives.

I am one of those that are allergic to certain shellfish. But it is my responsibility to know what I am eating. As long as there are other choices, I am happy. I never expect others to meet my dietary needs. I am diabetic, but I don't expect to find a menu based on that. I will pick and choose what I can and cannot eat. :)

Are you limited to just a couple types of salads or soups?

I have a recipe in my book at home. Will try to remember to post it when I go home.

We don't have a sweet tomatoes here but when I go visit my family in Orlando, I make them go with me. So yummy.

Addie, I live with (and cook for) a diabetic, so know all about that sort of dietary restriction.

My point was simply that 175 women is a fairly large group, and that if the sponsors confine themselve to only one choice they are guaranteeing that some of those women will not be able to eat the meal.

It's not merely a matter of picking and choosing. If, for instance, somebody has a gluten restriction, they merely skip the bread. No big deal. But if a major component of the dish cannot be eaten, then they are left out in the cold---after paying for an event that guaranteed them a "gourmet" luncheon.

There are good ways of dealing with that issue. But ignoring it is not one of them.

Maybe a nice cool gazpacho with shrimp salad or good old chicken soup and a fresh veg and noodle salad? So many soups and salads it's a bit of tough question :)

It's about time we saw your pixels again, you have been missed!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom