"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 07-18-2006, 03:44 PM   #11
Head Chef

As a Brit, I'm not too sure what strip steak is. But if you can use it for steak au poivre, you can probably use it for beef stroganoff, which is great with rice. Easy to do as well, especially as the onion and mushroom part can be cooked well in advance.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:00 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Snoop en espaa,

Ahhh how I miss Andalucia. Pero.... This is not about Spanish food.

The strip is the piece of meat on a cow or steer which comprises both the tenderloin (filet mignon) and strip (NY Strip) steak.

Here's a site that shows both the NY strip steak and where it comes from (the spot below the NY strip, Porterhouse) http://http://www.pagelinx.com/cgi-s...utput_number=6

Now if you'd be so kind as to indulge me in a plate of Riones al Jrz, I'd be forever in your debt. I DO miss them.

Just were are you in Spain? I lived in Andalucia.

Ciao,

Old 07-18-2006, 04:40 PM   #13
Head Chef

Am not sure what kind of restaurant you work at, or the type of food you want to serve, but always love black beans and rice (moros y cristianos).

You mentioned pork chops, can marinate, perhaps with mojo, and saute them. Or smother with sauteed onions and peppers.

Some fried plantains would round out the dish, but don't know how easy it is to find them where you are.

Just an idea, good luck.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:06 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Puss
As a Brit, I'm not too sure what strip steak is. But if you can use it for steak au poivre, you can probably use it for beef stroganoff, which is great with rice. Easy to do as well, especially as the onion and mushroom part can be cooked well in advance.
You are right. I have done that one in the past and it sold well. Thanks. Cob webs are slowly getting cleaned out.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:09 PM   #15
Executive Chef

If you are so inclined to giving yourself extra labour, how about stuffing the chicken breast with rice?
What about rice timbales with the pork?

If you're using top round for the roast beef, why not cut one into strips and make something south of the border like? Fajitas comes to mind but they may not be fancy enough for your gig.

And then there is my all time favourite - jambalaya. Serve it with some fried green tomatoes....aaaaaaaaaaaahhhh....
Old 07-18-2006, 08:08 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Endorphinboy
How about going a Jambalya route. You could probably make do with some spicy smoked sausage.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:57 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Stuffed Pork Chops, maybe using wild rice mixture. How about a pork loin roast like Emeril did tonight?

Applesauce and Sage Glazed Pork Loin with Parsnips and Turnips. I haven't made it YET, but it sure sounded and looked good. I have the recipe if you want it.

Come on Marlene, you can do it!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:32 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Risotto. Its easy to personalize and tastes great. And its something a lot of people will only order in a resturant for some reason so they'll be less likely to be used to it.

EDIT: Oops. I just realized I suggested you serve rice with more rice. My bad.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:10 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

along auntdot's great suggestions, one of my favourite meals with rice was from a small, eclectic restaurant in nyc that had many carribbean inspired dishes.
it was grilled garlic/rum/sherry marinated pork chops, served with aromatic yellow rice mixed with fresh peas and roasted pepper strips(the water used to cook the rice was first infused with bay leaves, garlic, and cloves), and fried sweet plantains.

another idea is rice stuffed peppers, and don't forget paella if you have some seafood, chicken, and chorizo available.
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:23 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Thanks people, some great ideas there that should keep me from getting bored. Un fortunately, no spicy sausage, no seafood, no okra (I haven't even seen it frozen up here.)no pork loins, but the stuffed pork chops and chicken breasts are doable.
Ah, I feel refreshed having you guys to talk to.