"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 07-19-2006, 02:57 AM   #21
Assistant Cook

I'd go with a Mexican/Spanish theme-refried beans, tamales, enchiladas, posole, fajitas, carne adovada, etc. A citrus roasted chicken would go over well too. Then offer flan for dessert.

"Raising teenagers is like nailing jello to a tree."

Pinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:08 PM   #22
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCook
I want to change a couple of the evenings specials, and my FOH is saying people are asking for rice. I have been thinking about doing something with spanish rice, also throwing around the idea of steak diana with some rice pilaf. Buttttttttt... I have my limitations.They (the management) don't want me to order any special proteins that we cannot use on the regular menu. So I am stuck with strip loin steak, roast beef, chicken breasts, pork chops, and turkeys. Anyone want to throw some ideas my way, I would really appreciate it.
How about doing a traditional Spanish Arroz con Pollo? It's basically nothing more than sauteed chicken pieces smothered in Spanish yellow rice with chorizo and peas, but it's SO very delicious! If you want, Marlene, I can probably drum up a recipe.

Old 07-19-2006, 01:10 PM   #23
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinon
I'd go with a Mexican/Spanish theme-refried beans, tamales, enchiladas, posole, fajitas, carne adovada, etc. A citrus roasted chicken would go over well too. Then offer flan for dessert.
Hi, Pinon, I see you are from the southwest, and so that makes me all the more curious...

Why are you combining Spanish with Mexican like that? They really are not the same thing at all! Both are delicious, but not interchangeable. The menu us suggested isn't Spanish, it's Mexican.....
Old 07-19-2006, 05:48 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
Marlene what about going with some sort of orential chicken seasme or fried rice.. many orential sauces.. I LOVE clives suggestion of Byiriani. mmmm
Old 07-21-2006, 01:57 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Have you tried pork chops and spanish rice? I some times fry a chop, then cut it up and cook it with the spanish rice, severing it with pork chops.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:44 AM   #26
Senior Cook

Just thought I would report back. Success on Steve A's suggestion of striploin with green peppercorn sauce. I probably could have sold twice as much as I made, ran out of peppercorn sauce 2 1/2 hours before close. I did, however ser the steaks with parmesan potato wedges instead. I will be doing beef stroganoff on Monday, and I am seriously considering doing pork chops smothered with grilled onions and peppers with spanish rice next Saturday. BTW wild rice stuffed chicken breast still sounds good. BJ the stuffed pork chop is also on the agenda.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:53 AM   #27
Head Chef

Ringing the changes is a good way of getting people to come back as well, I guess, as there's always something new to try.
I just love steak with green peppercorn sauce. Evidently lots of other people do too!
Old 07-26-2006, 10:01 PM   #28
Master Chef

Another rice preparation that might appeal that can be a side dish to almost anything (not to mention a breakfast or lunch meal unto itself) is to use already cooked rice and mix with enough egg to bring it all to a fritata kind of consistency. Lots of cheese, and seasonings of your choice. My lazy way is to cook it on stove top until it barely starts to set & brown on the bottom, then toss under the broiler until brown on top. (traditional would be to brown on the bottom, then either turn onto a plate and slide back into the skillet and brown the other side). Grated cheese on top, cut into wedges. Side dish to supper, served with salad for lunch, or with fruit or a sweet for breakfast.

For Spanish rice, any of the meats you mentioned can be seasoned with some cumin and garlic and will go fine. If it becomes popular enough, keep some frozen shrimp on hand, or cut up any of the meats, mix in, and serve the rice as the main dish in a large bowl.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:48 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

I always cook some red beans in tomato sauce and mix with the rice. Goes with any meal. Adding rice to stir fried vegetables is good too.
______
Sueanne
Old 10-05-2006, 12:18 AM   #30
Assistant Cook

Spanish rice

Found a new way of cooking spanish rice that my family has enjoyed. Instead of boiling the rice it is sauteed in oil with onions. Then broth is added according to amount cooked. Adding crushed tomato & peppers and simmer covered for at least twenty minutes. It was a chewier rice making it a great side dish.
________
Sueanne