"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 07-18-2006, 02:48 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Spanish rice and what?

I want to change a couple of the evenings specials, and my FOH is saying people are asking for rice. I have been thinking about doing something with spanish rice, also throwing around the idea of steak diana with some rice pilaf. Buttttttttt... I have my limitations.They (the management) don't want me to order any special proteins that we cannot use on the regular menu. So I am stuck with strip loin steak, roast beef, chicken breasts, pork chops, and turkeys. Anyone want to throw some ideas my way, I would really appreciate it.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:19 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

How about beef enchaldas, refried beans and a green salad.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:24 AM   #3
Sous Chef

You might think about a Chicken Biryani or Chicken Pilaf. Basically, a Chicken Curry sauce poured over spiced rice base or (the same) cooked in the oven.

There's also a Venezuelan dish called "Arroz con Pollo" which, in its simplest form, is chicken pieces ( you could sub turkey) cooked in a "sofrito" - fried onions, garlic, bell peppers,leeks,cumin, annato and oregano - then mixed with re-fried rice.

Another option would be to look at the Indonesian "Rijstafel", and do a Yukon version of that! You could use the chicken, the pork AND the turkey for that.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:15 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

What kind of restaurant are you in? What are some of the other things you serve? That might help give us an idea of what might or might not fit at your place.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:52 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Steak au poivre (sp). You could easily do that with your strip. Or... perhaps strip with green peppercorn sauce and sautéed mushrooms. VERY tasty and would go great with rice.

Ciao,
Old 07-18-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to erinmself
what about chicken enchiladas with spanish rice?

Erin
erinmself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:44 PM   #7
Master Chef

When I make Spanish Rice, it's to serve with enchiladas, or as a base for a sort of quick one-pot main dish Spanish/Cajun thing wherein I add sliced or diced turkey Chorizo or Andouilli sausage, & any vegetables in season - okra, greens, etc., etc.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:53 PM   #8
Head Chef

Making a Rijstafel takes a lot of prep and time to make. I know as my husband's family are from the Netherlands and Sumatra and I have helped with the preparation many times. I don't think it would work well unless you are very familiar with it. Besides different ideas of Mexican food to go with Spanish rice, what about a Jambalaya or gumbo dish instead. Pretty simple and filling. Another idea is peppered beef served over rice. Various fried rice dishes also come to mind.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:32 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

What type of pork do you have available?
Old 07-18-2006, 03:08 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by
"What kind of restaurant are you in? What are some of the other things you serve? That might help give us an idea of what might or might not fit at your place."
It's a family style restaurant. We serve the typical type of menu. Steaks, burgers, veal, fried chicken dinners, quesadillas, main course salads (bloody chefs salads ), and cold and hot sandwiches. The specials are left up to the cook in charge of each shift. The evening specials are set at $14.95. I do a roast beef and Yorkie special on Fridays and a roast turkey with stuffing special on Sundays, which both sell well. I am currently doing a turkey pot pie special on Tuesdays which strangely enough usually sells out. ($14.95 for turkey pot pie? ) One of the other cooks is doing a chicken stirfry on my days off, but I am not sure how that is selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
"Steak au poivre (sp). You could easily do that with your strip. Or... perhaps strip with green peppercorn sauce and sautéed mushrooms. VERY tasty and would go great with rice."
Now that sounds very doable. Just the kind of ideas I'm looking for, but just couldn't drag through the cobwebs in my brain. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
"what about chicken enchiladas with spanish rice?"
That one I'll mull over too. Thanks