"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 04-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Lime chicken kabobs, grilled corn on the cob w/parmesan cheese, bell papper kabobs and margaritas.

Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:09 PM   #12
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
This will warm the cockles of their hearts, that is, if their hearts HAVE cockles:

Chinese Dragon

3 to 5 pound boneless dragon loin (if dragon isnt available, you can use pork, but your guests will be able to tell the difference)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper

1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 Tbs tomato paste
2 Tbs firmly packed brown sugar
1 Tbs Chili Garlic sauce
1 Tbs grated ginger
1 tsp five-spice powder

1 cup mango, diced
1/2 cup pineapple, diced
2 Tbs rice vinegar
2 tsp lemon juice
1 small red bell pepper, julienned
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 cup coarsely chopped dry roasted, unsalted peanuts

1. Preheat oven to 350F.

2. Combine hoisin sauce, soy sauce, tomato paste, chili garlic sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, and five-spice in a medium saucepan. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Remove from heat; allow marinade to cool.

3. Trim excess fat from dragon loin, season with salt and pepper. Then place in a large plastic bag. When marinade has cooled, pour into plastic bag, squeeze out any excess air, and close with a twist tie. Allow to marinate for at least 1 hour (preferably overnight), refrigerated.
4. Place the dragon loin on a rack in a shallow roasting pan and cook for 20 to 30 minutes per pound, or until internal temperature is 160F. Allow dragon loin to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
5. Slice and serve dragon loin garnished with mango, pineapple, scallions, bell pepper, and peanuts.

6. Add rice and steamed Asian style vegetables to round out the meal.

Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:21 PM   #13
Master Chef
I agree with Uncle Bob - if you want to impress your guests serve them something that is not common back home. Fresh seafood should be no problem where you live - and something they are not going to find back in Wisconsin as easily as beef, pork or chicken.

Paella, chowda' (New England or Manhattan style) or a nice big pot of Bouillabaise would definitely fit the bill, especially on a cold day. Round it out with a nice salad and some French bread. If you go with paella you could start off with some tapas to stretch the meal.

Of course - you're not limited to those ideas. You could take some blue fish fillets, dredge them in some flour, "pan fry" in butter and olive oil - then make a pan sauce of shallots (or minced garlic and grated onion), mushrooms, white wine, and swirl in a little more butter to finish ... etc.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:46 PM   #14
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
So many really good things have come out of this thread.

1) I think I'm goin with the Clam Chowder. I am making my first loaf of sourdough and if it comes out OK, I will server that with the chowder and a salad.

2) The lime chicken is on the menu for the BBQ, Possibly after they leave.

3) Dragon? Way wow! Never knew anyone ate it. Defnately intrigued. I am not sure where to get Dragon loin. Is Chinatown NYC a place to get that? I am quite sure that Shop Rite, Pathmark, etc.. has Dragon.

And Uncle Bob - I have a major hankering for Gumbo, I even have a recipie from someone in your area. The only problem is that I cannot find Fele. Any ideas of how to get my hands on some?
Adillo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:02 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Adillo303
And Uncle Bob - I have a major hankering for Gumbo, I even have a recipie from someone in your area. The only problem is that I cannot find Fele. Any ideas of how to get my hands on some?
Yes I do........

Cajun Supermarket :: Your One Stop Shop!

Also I will PM you some information!
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #16
Executive Chef
I hope you have your mind made up on paella. Love it.
you shouldn't need anything with it,but what about corn bread? Dessert - fresh berries over ice cream , or even, fried ice cream -or, keeping with the theme, or a spanish cheese and wine platter?
enjoy. my mouth is watering. Let us know what you decide. I may repeat the same.
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:32 PM   #17
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
On your side of the planet, I believe Wegman's has some choice, tender, dragon loin, in the 3 to 5 pound range, for a reasonable price.
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #18
Head Chef
When I saw this thread I thought of seafood - as others have said. And have to agree.

One of the foods I missed the most when I lived in the Midwest was seafood. It is hard to get in that neck of the woods.

Agree with clam chowder, would probably go with NE style, although I grew up with the Manhattan version. Some folks might not like clams, could make a fish chowder.

A bouillabaisse always seems a bit more tony than a chowder, but is trickier to make and a bit pricier. But it is a fish stew and you can use what is available.

Crab cakes, arguably the best way to eat crab. But it ain't cheap.

If you want an Italian flair, shrimp fra diavolo, there is little better.

Don't know what fish are available in your markets, but nothing beats fresh fish.

Bake it, broil it, grill it, it is all great.

Just a few ideas for seafood.
Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:38 AM   #19
Assistant Cook
pork roll eggplant and blueberries are the only known foods from new jersey
big daddy cornbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #20
Master Chef
The seafood is a great idea. We have great steaks in the Midwest, but as previously mentioned, fresh seafood is rare.
Paella sounds like great idea! All you need to go with it is a crusty bread.

Or how about a seafood boil, with crab, shrimp, smoked sausage, new potatoes and corn on the cob? You can spread newspapers and paper plates out on the picnic table, give everyone dish towels for napkins, and dive in!
So what if your guests don't know how to get into a crab...you can show them how, and they'll have fun learning.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote