Suggestions for Company from out of state

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adillo303

Head Chef
I have relatives comming from out of state this weekend. They are here for a week. Saturday, they get dinner in NYC, Sunday is my turn. I'd like to wow them and not blow the budget.

I welcome all suggestions.

TIA

AC

First we need a clue on what kinds of food they like?
Soups and stews,
Roasts, veggies, pastas??

Let us know and the recipes will flow!! : )

What came to my mind was...Where are they from? I wouldn't try to plan a meal or an outing that was built around foods that are common to their area/state. I mean If I came to New Jersey please don't take me out to eat Catfish...I'm from Mississippi. Take me out or prepare something for me that is "special" in your area...it doens't have to be lavish or expensive........

OK - Sorry to be vague.

The budget, Hard to put a dollar value on it. There will be 8 for dinner and I prolly shoulden't think surf and turf. Maybe surf maybe turf,

Steak seems a little Blah, It's supposed to be cool Saturday and Sunday, Possiblly a good stew and some Sourdough bread. DW suggests Chili and Sourdough or Rye. Personally, I would like to upscale that somewhat.

I'm the foodie, she's the accountant. For some reason I keep having Paella going through my head, but, then what would go with it.

They are going sight seeing in NYC Saturday and dinner, prollay Italian, on Saturday night, so, I would stay away from Italian. That kind of takes me away from the chili as it is alos tomato based.

The out of towners are from Green Bay WI, but, Originally Lethbridge Alberta CA
As to what they like, no real idea on the out of towners. the rest of us are flexable.

Clam chowder... filling, not too expensive, very tasty, easy
French bread and salad to finish the meal

Uncle Bob - Actually, I would love to come to MI for catfish. I spent a great year in Biloxi. Tow jobs ago I went to New Orleans / baton Rouge a lot.

I really can't at the moment think of anything that would be typical New Jersey. Alos I for these kinds of things I like to give them something they would find to be different. If it were to be warm, I would prolly go for steaks outside around the fish pond.

I like New England.
Here's my recipe.

Add some nice French bread and a green salad and you've got a wonderful dinner! Use small bowls so you can have seconds! As with most soups this is better the next day!

Ingredients:

3 10 oz cans chopped clams
1 lb bacon
3 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
2 chicken bouillon cubes
3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon thyme (some times I use parsley instead)
2 cups half and half
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons all purpose flour

salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Open canned clams reserving all juice
set aside

cut up bacon, removing a lot of the extra fat
in large sauce pan cook bacon until crisp. Keeping the bacon and the grease in the pan
add potatoes, clam juice, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, onions, pepper,bouillon cubes.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about ten minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Combind milk, cream and flour till smooth. Add to potatoe mixture. Cook and stir until slightly thickened. Stir in Clams. Return to boiling reduce heat. Cook for a few minutes more. Add salt and pepper to taste.

If soup is too thick add more milk or cream
if soup is too thin add more flour mixing with milk or cream first!

We add a tablespoon of butter to each bowl when serving ( not at all good for you
but it tastes great!!!)

OR...
How about French onion?

Description:
This is the onion soup recipe that I use. Pretty great!

If you're really hungry... add some browned stew meat. It makes for a delish meal!!

Ingredients:
1-2 tablespoons butter (you can use much less)
2-3 cups thinly sliced onions (Walla walla sweet works best)
4 cups beef broth
1/4cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup white wine
4-6 slices french bread
3/4-1 cup shredded cheese, your choice.. I use a combo of swiss and parmasian

Directions:
In a large saucepan melt butter. Stir in onions. Cooked covered, over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes, or until tender and golden, stirring occasionally. Add beef broth, white wine, Worcestershire sauce and a dash of pepper. Bring to a boil.
reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.

fill small (OVEN SAFE) soup bowls with soup sprinkle with parm.cheese, top with a piece of French bread and some of the Swiss cheese, bake in 350 degree oven until cheese is melted and nicely browned!! Very easy and very good!!

CAREFUL!!
THE BOWLS WILL BE VERY VERY HOT!!

This will warm the cockles of their hearts, that is, if their hearts HAVE cockles:

Chinese Dragon

3 ½ to 5 pound boneless dragon loin (if dragon isn’t available, you can use pork, but your guests will be able to tell the difference)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper

Marinade:
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 Tbs tomato paste
2 Tbs firmly packed brown sugar
1 Tbs Chili Garlic sauce
1 Tbs grated ginger
1 tsp five-spice powder

Garnish:
1 cup mango, diced
1/2 cup pineapple, diced
2 Tbs rice vinegar
2 tsp lemon juice
1 small red bell pepper, julienned
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 cup coarsely chopped dry roasted, unsalted peanuts

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. Combine hoisin sauce, soy sauce, tomato paste, chili garlic sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, and five-spice in a medium saucepan. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Remove from heat; allow marinade to cool.

3. Trim excess fat from dragon loin, season with salt and pepper. Then place in a large plastic bag. When marinade has cooled, pour into plastic bag, squeeze out any excess air, and close with a twist tie. Allow to marinate for at least 1 hour (preferably overnight), refrigerated.
4. Place the dragon loin on a rack in a shallow roasting pan and cook for 20 to 30 minutes per pound, or until internal temperature is 160°F. Allow dragon loin to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
5. Slice and serve dragon loin garnished with mango, pineapple, scallions, bell pepper, and peanuts.

6. Add rice and steamed Asian style vegetables to round out the meal.

I agree with Uncle Bob - if you want to impress your guests serve them something that is not common back home. Fresh seafood should be no problem where you live - and something they are not going to find back in Wisconsin as easily as beef, pork or chicken.

Paella, chowda' (New England or Manhattan style) or a nice big pot of Bouillabaise would definitely fit the bill, especially on a cold day. Round it out with a nice salad and some French bread. If you go with paella you could start off with some tapas to stretch the meal.

Of course - you're not limited to those ideas. You could take some blue fish fillets, dredge them in some flour, "pan fry" in butter and olive oil - then make a pan sauce of shallots (or minced garlic and grated onion), mushrooms, white wine, and swirl in a little more butter to finish ... etc.

So many really good things have come out of this thread.

1) I think I'm goin with the Clam Chowder. I am making my first loaf of sourdough and if it comes out OK, I will server that with the chowder and a salad.

2) The lime chicken is on the menu for the BBQ, Possibly after they leave.

3) Dragon? Way wow! Never knew anyone ate it. Defnately intrigued. I am not sure where to get Dragon loin. Is Chinatown NYC a place to get that? I am quite sure that Shop Rite, Pathmark, etc.. has Dragon.

And Uncle Bob - I have a major hankering for Gumbo, I even have a recipie from someone in your area. The only problem is that I cannot find Fele. Any ideas of how to get my hands on some?

I hope you have your mind made up on paella. Love it.
you shouldn't need anything with it,but what about corn bread? Dessert - fresh berries over ice cream , or even, fried ice cream -or, keeping with the theme, or a spanish cheese and wine platter?
enjoy. my mouth is watering. Let us know what you decide. I may repeat the same.

On your side of the planet, I believe Wegman's has some choice, tender, dragon loin, in the 3 to 5 pound range, for a reasonable price.

When I saw this thread I thought of seafood - as others have said. And have to agree.

One of the foods I missed the most when I lived in the Midwest was seafood. It is hard to get in that neck of the woods.

Agree with clam chowder, would probably go with NE style, although I grew up with the Manhattan version. Some folks might not like clams, could make a fish chowder.

A bouillabaisse always seems a bit more tony than a chowder, but is trickier to make and a bit pricier. But it is a fish stew and you can use what is available.

Crab cakes, arguably the best way to eat crab. But it ain't cheap.

If you want an Italian flair, shrimp fra diavolo, there is little better.

Don't know what fish are available in your markets, but nothing beats fresh fish.

Bake it, broil it, grill it, it is all great.

Just a few ideas for seafood.

The seafood is a great idea. We have great steaks in the Midwest, but as previously mentioned, fresh seafood is rare.
Paella sounds like great idea! All you need to go with it is a crusty bread.

Or how about a seafood boil, with crab, shrimp, smoked sausage, new potatoes and corn on the cob? You can spread newspapers and paper plates out on the picnic table, give everyone dish towels for napkins, and dive in!
So what if your guests don't know how to get into a crab...you can show them how, and they'll have fun learning.

Back
Top Bottom