"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 01-31-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Super Bowl food - what are you planning?

Anyone throwing a Super Bowl bash or maybe just prepping snacks for yourself? What do you have planned?

I live on the west coast so the big event begins mid afternoon and we're having a few friends over - nothing fancy. Popcorn, drinks and later in the day homemade pizza (cooked on the grill). My plan is to make the dough the night before (slow rise in the fridge to develop flavor) and then have a make it yourself affair with lots of topping available.

Two 12 inch stones on the grill heated up to 500 and those individual pizza will cook in just a few minutes each.

What do you have planned???

Old 01-31-2014, 10:49 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I bought some little smokies, a smoked gouda, some edam, celery and carrots. Apples, Pears, olives (green, kalamata and black), marinated mushrooms. I'm just going to prep it all and have it available. Shrek has invited a friend. I'll probably watch movies in the other room.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:56 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Anyone throwing a Super Bowl bash or maybe just prepping snacks for yourself? What do you have planned?

I live on the west coast so the big event begins mid afternoon and we're having a few friends over - nothing fancy. Popcorn, drinks and later in the day homemade pizza (cooked on the grill). My plan is to make the dough the night before (slow rise in the fridge to develop flavor) and then have a make it yourself affair with lots of topping available.

Two 12 inch stones on the grill heated up to 500 and those individual pizza will cook in just a few minutes each.

What do you have planned???

Sounds good Janet! What time should we arrive? Lol!
Old 02-01-2014, 12:17 AM   #4
Certified Cake Maniac

Yeah, I think I will head to Janet's as well!

No special food here because I will be watching the game alone as TB works and I will probably be munching on my apples and grapes which have become a big part of my diet in the last 2 months.

It is really nice to see Seattle in the Superbowl. Many BC residents are Seahawks fans, including me!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:21 AM   #5
Proud American

I think, so far, since Carl, Laki, Gwen, and DA's boyfriend will be here for to watch it, we'll have cold cuts of sandwiches and party trays of meats, cheese, and crackers.

This is called finger food, yes? I was thinking of adding French onion soup to the sandwiches. What do you think?

With love,
~Cat
Old 02-01-2014, 02:23 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
I think, so far, since Carl, Laki, Gwen, and DA's boyfriend will be here for to watch it, we'll have cold cuts of sandwiches and party trays of meats, cheese, and crackers.

This is called finger food, yes? I was thinking of adding French onion soup to the sandwiches. What do you think?

With love,
~Cat
Do you have trays for the bowls to sit on? If one of them gets excited they may jump up when an important play is made and you will find soup all over the floor and furniture. Too many liquids are not a good idea for a Super Bowl game.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:10 AM   #7
Master Chef

Site Moderator

We are having two finger-food get-togethers this weekend.

Tonight we are having friend over and I am making a hot bacon & cheddar cheese dip, a hot buffalo chicken dip, mini-pizzas (cheese, mushroom, sausage), little smokies wrapped in bacon and brown sugar, sweet n sour meatballs, butterscotch brownies.

Tomorrow for the Puppy Bowl we are having mini hotdogs in sauerkraut, meatballs, pulled pork sliders, cheese/crackers/pepperoni, chips and dip. This will then just roll into the Superbowl that evening.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #8
Master Chef

Party for one!

A flat bread pizza and a salad, maybe a few shrimp or some kielbasa coins.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:05 PM   #9
Master Chef

I took some ribs out of the freezer today and will give them a good rub tonight before cooking them early tomorrow. We aren't big football fans, but it seems "unAmerican" to not watch the Super Bowl. Being a western girl, I gotta root for the team furthest west! Go Seattle Seahawks!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:20 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Living 40 miles south of the Colorado border, I definitely am in Bronco Country. Will head over to my sisters' house, sans sister and BIL who are off becoming grandparents in CA, and share the event with my almost next door neighbor. I will be making a pizza. The TV viewing area at my sisters' is divine. Will also be eating fresh pears that my BIL has delivered weekly from Harry and David.

Tags
food