Super Bowl is nigh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
Neither Mark nor I are avid football fans. I have no patience for it. Mark likes to watch, occasionally. We’ll watch this year because the L.A. Rams are playing, and because we like the commercials. I’m not planning anything special, food-wise. Maybe nachos, I dunno!

How about y’all? Hosting at home? Tailgating? Going to a party? Or just kicking it at home with family? If you’re catering, anything special on your menu?

And please don’t @ me about the Rams! I really couldn’t care less; it’s just that I’m a native SoCalian, so I guess I owe them some sort of the most basic loyalty. I could (and might) root just as easily for the Patriots, for love of lobster rolls!

I'll be watching the Super Bowl home alone. This is not an issue for me. I get to yell and scream at the TV and jump up-and-down and nobody gives me with strange looks.

I picked up the fixings for some shrimp cocktail. I'm also thinking about some chicken wings and a few other odds and ends. Plenty of beer and wine on hand in case I get thirsty.

I'm on the east coast Joel. But Sunday I will be the Rams biggest supporter.
Unlike you I am a NFL and college football lover. My team is the Miami Dolphins and Miami Hurricanes as I was born and raised in S. Florida. I have suffered many years with them both.

Sunday is not planed and nothing special will happen. But I do have a giant bag of frozen wings. So that will most likely be the deal. I'm thinking macaroni salad? I have made potato salad with wings for the last three times.

Anyone have a good complimenting dish to go with hot wings? I used to serve chili with beans as my favorite bar back home had the best wings in town and the best chili beans. So they became a couple.

I like to use something cool to go with the hot wings. I use franks so they are not very hot actually.
So, what should I make instead of the macaroni salad? Deviled eggs?

Oh. GO RAMS. BEAT NEW ENGLAND INTO THE GROUND AND FORCE BRADY TO RETIRE!

Last edited:
I'm on the east coast Joel. But Sunday I will be the Rams biggest supporter.
Unlike you I am a NFL and college football lover. My team is the Miami Dolphins and Miami Hurricanes as I was born and raised in S. Florida. I have suffered many years with them both.

Sunday is not planed and nothing special will happen. But I do have a giant bag of frozen wings. So that will most likely be the deal. I'm thinking macaroni salad? I have made potato salad with wings for the last three times.

Anyone have a good complimenting dish to go with hot wings? I used to serve chili with beans as my favorite bar back home had the best wings in town and the best chili beans. So they became a couple.

I like to use something cool to go with the hot wings. I use franks so they are not very hot actually.
So, what should I make instead of the macaroni salad? Deviled eggs?

Oh. GO RAMS. BEAT NEW ENGLAND INTO THE GROUND AND FORCE BRADY TO RETIRE!
Somewhere in these forums is a really good recipe for no-mayo coleslaw. If anyone knows where it is, please post a link to it! I think it might go very well with your wings, RB!

I literally could not care less about any kind of sports ball or the Super Bowl. For three months, it feels like, DH has been telling me periodically that "This is a big game! It's the championship!" He should be saying "a championship," because there seem to be dozens of them :ROFLMAO:

Anyway. I will be making some snacks - not totally sure what yet. DH will be watching it in the living room and I will be upstairs in the sitting room (aka as a guest room with a couch, chair and TV), listening to music and reading. He is going to call me when there's an ad on and when it's half time.

This appeared in my local newspaper the other day. Some of you might get a kick out of it: https://pilotonline.com/life/flavor/article_ac637ad4-2018-11e9-9293-fb8b2ccb117d.html

The Super Bowl is the only football game I ever watch. It somehow seems UnAmerican not to watch it. Since the Rams are playing, it seems especially so living here. I hope they win just because it's about time anyone beats the Patriots, and why not the Rams.
I at least hope it's a close game, one way or the other.

Chili is the plan on TV trays in front of the big TV screen.

That is a fun write-up, GG... :)
This appeared in my local newspaper the other day. Some of you might get a kick out of it: https://pilotonline.com/life/flavor/...b2ccb117d.html

Game is late afternoon so, I believe we will turn down SIL's invitation to spend bowl day with he and daughter..

To that end we made an Aldi run and packed fridge, freezer and pantry with Super Bowl type food and snacks..

Will decide what or all SB morning..

OH.... Go Rams..

Ross

Last edited:
As much as people love and hate the Super Bowl with the haters often being openly more vocal, I guess it's saying something that people who have little to no interest (or worse) in something still plan on making something special or appropriate for the event.

Our tradition for many years has been to make broiled Buffalo wings and loaded nachos, with some other small dishes depending on if we are just by ourselves, or are having company.

I'm thinking a shrimp cocktail, or maybe shrimp and crab ceviche this year. I can make that without the use of the kitchen. We'll have to order out for the wings and nachos, though.

I'm not a big FB fan either, but I went to Costco last night and got 2 cases of bier among other SB related munchies.

Have you tried the Costco brand name light beer? They come like 48 cans for the price of 1 case in the same store. Its fine. But the can is like a silver gold color and it just does not seem like beer.......lol
I bought it once.
My grocery store sells beer much cheaper than Costco. A Walmart about 30 miles from here has Bud Light 24 can case for $12.
I hope I'm not to late.

Somewhere in these forums is a really good recipe for no-mayo coleslaw. If anyone knows where it is, please post a link to it! I think it might go very well with your wings, RB!

My granddaughter does not like slaw. I think? Sounds like a nice change though. Thanks.

Also, at least avocados are cheap @ 39 cents each for the next 3 days at Vons. (must buy 5) :LOL:

Lucky you! I have not seen an avocado under $1 each in years. On sale they are usually 2 for $3

The Super Bowl is the only football game I ever watch. It somehow seems UnAmerican not to watch it. Since the Rams are playing, it seems especially so living here. I hope they win just because it's about time anyone beats the Patriots, and why not the Rams.
I at least hope it's a close game, one way or the other.

Same here. Tired of Patriots. I all Rams on Sunday.

Chili is the plan on TV trays in front of the big TV screen.

LOL. I may change the menu! Chili sounds great.

Last edited:
Have you tried the Costco brand name light beer?

Yes, I sometimes get the Kirkland bottled ales, but never tried their canned light beer. But since I'm invited to watch the SB at a friend's place I better take some name brand beer (taking a case of Stella)... :LOL:
And yes, especially this week supermarkets have beer and anything SB related super cheap, cheaper than Costco prices on many items.

As much as people love and hate the Super Bowl with the haters often being openly more vocal, I guess it's saying something that people who have little to no interest (or worse) in something still plan on making something special or appropriate for the event.

Our tradition for many years has been to make broiled Buffalo wings and loaded nachos, with some other small dishes depending on if we are just by ourselves, or are having company.

I'm thinking a shrimp cocktail, or maybe shrimp and crab ceviche this year. I can make that without the use of the kitchen. We'll have to order out for the wings and nachos, though.

Bucky, you must have a crockpot somewhere. I hate the darn things but you could make a pot of Chili without a kitchen.

Yes, we have a couple of crock pots, but I've never thought to use them for chilli before. So far I've used it for pea soup and pork n peppers since the kitchen was torn out.

If I didn't have to leave for work early, I'd consider it. Thanks for the idea, K-L. I'll keep it in mind for the upcoming weeks.

The Super Bowl. Or, as 31 other teams call it, the Patriots last away game of the season. :mrgreen:

I'm rooting for the (Cleveland) Rams. Hopefully, in the next year or two, I can really root for the Cleveland Browns.

The Super Bowl is the only football game I ever watch. It somehow seems UnAmerican not to watch it....
You know, we were thinking of skipping it this year. After all, it's just a rerun. Then I remembered that Jim Nance and Tony Romo do the calls, and they are a great team to listen to. And then there are the commercials! I read that they'll be less political and more fun - which is how it should be.

Oh, food. Well, it was going to be (ahem) Kansas City ribs with the trimmings, but the store had beer brats on sale. A quick and easy meal, so it will be brats and stuff. Nothing traditional super bowl-ish here.

I have food plans for Sunday, but don't plan to watch the SB. There is no outcome that will make me happy.

As for food, it is after all, a Sunday, so I have a USDA Prime ribeye salted and drying in the fridge. I plan to sous vide it to medium rare, and give it a sear with the searsall. Roasted red potatoes on the side. Yes, I am predictable when it comes to meat and potatoes. :rolleyes:

I spent the day today doing errands, and did not see a single Rams or Patriots jersey or... anything except this cool t-shirt with Saints colors that read, "We Were ROBBED." :LOL:

Yes, you were.

I'd like to eat greasy snack foods and watch the Saints and the Chiefs battle it out for the Championship, but I don't run the NFL. So, it is what it is.

I do run my kitchen, so it will be steak and potatoes!

CD

we are going to a party at a friends house. About 20 people. I am doing the ham and swiss sammies that you make from the small rolls. There should be plenty of great food.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom