"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2019, 10:30 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Super Bowl is nigh!

Neither Mark nor I are avid football fans. I have no patience for it. Mark likes to watch, occasionally. Well watch this year because the L.A. Rams are playing, and because we like the commercials. Im not planning anything special, food-wise. Maybe nachos, I dunno!

How about yall? Hosting at home? Tailgating? Going to a party? Or just kicking it at home with family? If youre catering, anything special on your menu?

And please dont @ me about the Rams! I really couldnt care less; its just that Im a native SoCalian, so I guess I owe them some sort of the most basic loyalty. I could (and might) root just as easily for the Patriots, for love of lobster rolls!

Old 02-01-2019, 10:56 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm not a big FB fan either, but I went to Costco last night and got 2 cases of bier among other SB related munchies.

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:00 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I'll be watching the Super Bowl home alone. This is not an issue for me. I get to yell and scream at the TV and jump up-and-down and nobody gives me with strange looks.

I picked up the fixings for some shrimp cocktail. I'm also thinking about some chicken wings and a few other odds and ends. Plenty of beer and wine on hand in case I get thirsty.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:07 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I'm on the east coast Joel. But Sunday I will be the Rams biggest supporter.
Unlike you I am a NFL and college football lover. My team is the Miami Dolphins and Miami Hurricanes as I was born and raised in S. Florida. I have suffered many years with them both.

Sunday is not planed and nothing special will happen. But I do have a giant bag of frozen wings. So that will most likely be the deal. I'm thinking macaroni salad? I have made potato salad with wings for the last three times.

Anyone have a good complimenting dish to go with hot wings? I used to serve chili with beans as my favorite bar back home had the best wings in town and the best chili beans. So they became a couple.

I like to use something cool to go with the hot wings. I use franks so they are not very hot actually.
So, what should I make instead of the macaroni salad? Deviled eggs?

Oh. GO RAMS. BEAT NEW ENGLAND INTO THE GROUND AND FORCE BRADY TO RETIRE!
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:12 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I'm on the east coast Joel. But Sunday I will be the Rams biggest supporter.
Unlike you I am a NFL and college football lover. My team is the Miami Dolphins and Miami Hurricanes as I was born and raised in S. Florida. I have suffered many years with them both.

Sunday is not planed and nothing special will happen. But I do have a giant bag of frozen wings. So that will most likely be the deal. I'm thinking macaroni salad? I have made potato salad with wings for the last three times.

Anyone have a good complimenting dish to go with hot wings? I used to serve chili with beans as my favorite bar back home had the best wings in town and the best chili beans. So they became a couple.

I like to use something cool to go with the hot wings. I use franks so they are not very hot actually.
So, what should I make instead of the macaroni salad? Deviled eggs?

Oh. GO RAMS. BEAT NEW ENGLAND INTO THE GROUND AND FORCE BRADY TO RETIRE!
Somewhere in these forums is a really good recipe for no-mayo coleslaw. If anyone knows where it is, please post a link to it! I think it might go very well with your wings, RB!
Old 02-01-2019, 11:13 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I literally could not care less about any kind of sports ball or the Super Bowl. For three months, it feels like, DH has been telling me periodically that "This is a big game! It's the championship!" He should be saying "a championship," because there seem to be dozens of them

Anyway. I will be making some snacks - not totally sure what yet. DH will be watching it in the living room and I will be upstairs in the sitting room (aka as a guest room with a couch, chair and TV), listening to music and reading. He is going to call me when there's an ad on and when it's half time.

This appeared in my local newspaper the other day. Some of you might get a kick out of it: https://pilotonline.com/life/flavor/...b2ccb117d.html
Old 02-01-2019, 11:24 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Also, at least avocados are cheap @ 39 cents each for the next 3 days at Vons. (must buy 5)
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:34 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

The Super Bowl is the only football game I ever watch. It somehow seems UnAmerican not to watch it. Since the Rams are playing, it seems especially so living here. I hope they win just because it's about time anyone beats the Patriots, and why not the Rams.
I at least hope it's a close game, one way or the other.

Chili is the plan on TV trays in front of the big TV screen.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:21 PM   #9
Executive Chef

That is a fun write-up, GG...
This appeared in my local newspaper the other day. Some of you might get a kick out of it: https://pilotonline.com/life/flavor/...b2ccb117d.html

Game is late afternoon so, I believe we will turn down SIL's invitation to spend bowl day with he and daughter..

To that end we made an Aldi run and packed fridge, freezer and pantry with Super Bowl type food and snacks..

Will decide what or all SB morning..

OH.... Go Rams..

Ross
Old 02-01-2019, 02:01 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

As much as people love and hate the Super Bowl with the haters often being openly more vocal, I guess it's saying something that people who have little to no interest (or worse) in something still plan on making something special or appropriate for the event.

Our tradition for many years has been to make broiled Buffalo wings and loaded nachos, with some other small dishes depending on if we are just by ourselves, or are having company.

I'm thinking a shrimp cocktail, or maybe shrimp and crab ceviche this year. I can make that without the use of the kitchen. We'll have to order out for the wings and nachos, though.

buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote