"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2017, 07:01 AM   #21
Executive Chef

I personally would prefer it just go away entirely. I could do without the screaming, yelling and red-facing that goes along with football games in our house. And as someone who isn't a fan of any particular team, though there are a few players on various teams I like and would prefer to win, I have to agree with the Patriot bashers. Any team that gets caught cheating or doing shady things that many times, there has to be a raging fire in that smoke. Frankly, I find the salaries absurd for playing a game (and that goes for any pro-sport).

medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:07 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Hate the Steelers... tis my birthright to hate em.

A loophole is what people who are unhappy with the rules call it when the rule doesn't stop somebody for doing what they thought the rule might stop em from doing...

The communications issues effected both teams this year at Gillette and the NFL is the ones that supply the equipment, maintain the equipment and run the equipment. There is no local (team) influence on that.

Accusations are accusations and until they are proven they are best left alone.

Every team in the league plays it close to the lines, and that includes signing players to gain intel.

The bottom line is Belichick might be the best of all time as a coach and Brady is in the conversation for that at QB. People hate when too much success, unless it is theirs.
Thank you. Well said! Belichick does run a very tight ship. He has gone even so far as to hold work shops for the players on how to respond to what is deemed unacceptable questions by the press. You don't hear the players bashing players from other teams. I do want to thank the Steelers for sending the Patriots to the Super Bowl. It was the remarks by their coach that gave the Patriots the incentive to play harder and win.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:36 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

I think part of the reason why folks have a little extra hate for Brady and Bellicheat is that they probably would have been just as good without the cheating. OK, so maybe they might have won one less Superbowl, or at least maybe had been to one less, but what they've done is incredible.

No matter how great you are, though, if you get caught cheating more than once, that shine on those trophies is tarnished forever. Everyone turns in to a kid on the playground who sees someone cheat to win and screams their head off about it.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:23 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Thought some of you might enjoy this article by our local paper's food writer about game-day food

Which team would win a Super Bowl food fight? New England or Atlanta? | Life | pilotonline.com
Old 02-02-2017, 08:56 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I personally would prefer it just go away entirely. I could do without the screaming, yelling and red-facing that goes along with football games in our house. And as someone who isn't a fan of any particular team, though there are a few players on various teams I like and would prefer to win, I have to agree with the Patriot bashers. Any team that gets caught cheating or doing shady things that many times, there has to be a raging fire in that smoke. Frankly, I find the salaries absurd for playing a game (and that goes for any pro-sport).
Med, it might be a good day to catch a good movie at your local theater. There are so many good ones out there right now, and I know you'd really enjoy "Hidden Figures"!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:31 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Thought some of you might enjoy this article by our local paper's food writer about game-day food

Which team would win a Super Bowl food fight? New England or Atlanta? | Life | pilotonline.com
1) Not a fan of IPAs. I'll take a nice ale from Great Lakes Brewing, thank you.

2) Brunswick Stew all the way! Mine is soupier than what is shown in the photo, and we like it that way. In the time we've lived up here I've grown to prefer the Rhode Island "chowder" better (no cream, just clear broth).

3) Sorry, but that Ghetto Burger looks like it's already been eaten... I do love me a lobster roll every once in a while, but I like mine with lobster in it, not chicken. Per a clip from the linked article: Lobster rolls are like a lightly dressed chicken salad tucked into a bun... Proofread, people, proofread!

4) Yuck on Whoopie Pies. The cousins in PA love them, too. Himself's one cousin does make a decent one, but her filling isn't as cloyingly sweet as the commercial ones. And they're small, two-bite size. That's enough. Instead, I'll take half of that peach cobbler...with a bit of vanilla bean ice cream, please.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:23 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

CG, I had two lobster rolls last Saturday and there was nothing but big chunks of lobster in both of them. Along with finely chopped onions and celery. Mayo, S&P go without saying. And every bite was absolutely divine!
Old 02-03-2017, 05:37 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I do love me a lobster roll every once in a while, but I like mine with lobster in it, not chicken. Per a clip from the linked article: Lobster rolls are like a lightly dressed chicken salad tucked into a bun... Proofread, people, proofread!
??? She didn't say there was chicken in the lobster roll. She said they're "like" a chicken salad - an analogy to describe it to people who may be unfamiliar what it is: "Lobster rolls are like a lightly dressed chicken salad tucked into a bun, and you won’t have to travel far to score some for your Super Bowl spread. A Bite of Maine food truck brings in fresh lobster each week and turns out buttered, grilled buns stuffed with a quarter-pound of lobster in their light mayo-based sauce, or butter for the mayo haters among us."
Old 02-03-2017, 06:18 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

While I like mayo, I'm a butter-in-my-lobster-roll kinda guy.

But it has to be on a soft, white, top split roll as well.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:05 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Go look at the picture. It's definitely a soft white roll, but it's hard to tell whether it's split at the top or on the side.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:36 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Hate the Steelers... tis my birthright to hate em.

A loophole is what people who are unhappy with the rules call it when the rule doesn't stop somebody for doing what they thought the rule might stop em from doing...

The communications issues effected both teams this year at Gillette and the NFL is the ones that supply the equipment, maintain the equipment and run the equipment. There is no local (team) influence on that.

Accusations are accusations and until they are proven they are best left alone.

Every team in the league plays it close to the lines, and that includes signing players to gain intel.

The bottom line is Belichick might be the best of all time as a coach and Brady is in the conversation for that at QB. People hate when too much success, unless it is theirs.
The communication issue goes well beyond one game at Gillette this year.
It indeed was this very issue at Gillette stadium that got this rule started regrading both teams losing com, if one lost com.
It takes a few minutes at most to get it straight and that is when teams like the pats use it their advantage. Seconds can make or break a game.
Remember, once the ball is snapped, unless there was a pre-snap penalty, the play counts and you cannot go back.
Belechick is known for the practice squad shopping before a game with the team he takes the player from. Usually just until that game is over then he releases them again.
Brady was suspened for violations of NFL rules and players have verified what goes on behind the scene while with the Patriots.
Sure some allegations are just that. But what about the allegations that they spied on other teams and took video of other teams and admitted it.
Just ask the Jets. Lots of accusations and some real truth to some of them outlined right here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_N...ng_controversy

Belechick was at best an average coach until Drew Bledsoe got hurt and he was FORCED to start his third round pick.
It just happens that, that back up may have never seen the field is Tom Brady.
No doubt they are a very good football team. But no doubt I cannot stand them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
I think part of the reason why folks have a little extra hate for Brady and Bellicheat is that they probably would have been just as good without the cheating. OK, so maybe they might have won one less Superbowl, or at least maybe had been to one less, but what they've done is incredible.

No matter how great you are, though, if you get caught cheating more than once, that shine on those trophies is tarnished forever. Everyone turns in to a kid on the playground who sees someone cheat to win and screams their head off about it.
EXACTLY. I wonder how they will keep banners and other signage from the audience at the Hall Of Fame, that for sure will include both Brady and Belechick.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:35 PM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

I understand why, as a Dolphins fan, that you feel the way you do. Maybe the Patriots just win because they are better top to bottom that other teams.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:40 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Med, it might be a good day to catch a good movie at your local theater. There are so many good ones out there right now, and I know you'd really enjoy "Hidden Figures"!
I do plan to see that, but we wait for most movies to make it to On Demand. Do you watch Timeless? One of those episodes had elements of Hidden Figures in it.

I'll probably read or petitpoint while the game is on.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:55 PM   #34
Master Chef

As usual, I am going to the shopping mall to pick up women that hate football
Old 02-03-2017, 05:42 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
??? She didn't say there was chicken in the lobster roll. She said they're "like" a chicken salad...
Gaa! I read that sentence three times and never caught the word "like". 😳 Good thing I'm NOT a proofreader! 😂

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Old 02-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
...nothing but big chunks of lobster in both of them. Along with finely chopped onions and celery. Mayo, S&P go without saying...
Onion? Not in mine, please. Since lobster is pricy even when it's on sale, I don't want to taste onion. I like mine with just a drizzle of butter. Period. Make sure you grill the New England split roll, lay a small bit of lettuce in the bun to prevent bun deterioration, and stuff it with the lobster. Yu-ummmmm.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:29 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
??? She didn't say there was chicken in the lobster roll. She said they're "like" a chicken salad - an analogy to describe it to people who may be unfamiliar what it is: "Lobster rolls are like a lightly dressed chicken salad tucked into a bun, and you won’t have to travel far to score some for your Super Bowl spread. A Bite of Maine food truck brings in fresh lobster each week and turns out buttered, grilled buns stuffed with a quarter-pound of lobster in their light mayo-based sauce, or butter for the mayo haters among us."
And I didn't insinuate that she did say that. I only stated what I had the day my daughter and I went out to lunch.

Stop looking for an argument in every post you read.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:35 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Onion? Not in mine, please. Since lobster is pricy even when it's on sale, I don't want to taste onion. I like mine with just a drizzle of butter. Period. Make sure you grill the New England split roll, lay a small bit of lettuce in the bun to prevent bun deterioration, and stuff it with the lobster. Yu-ummmmm.
I don't know what kind of onion they use, but it must be a sweet type. If is finely (and I do mean finely!) diced onion. You would be hard to find an individual piece of onion. It does add a depth of flavor.

And you are so right. A New England type bun. Toasted on both sides. I had the bright idea of making a couple of them for Sunday. Try to buy a lobster at your supermarket in February. Sure, Bright idea. Duh!
Old 02-03-2017, 11:36 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
And I didn't insinuate that she did say that. I only stated what I had the day my daughter and I went out to lunch.

Stop looking for an argument in every post you read.
And this was not directed to you. Stop acting as if every post is meant for you.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:38 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I don't know what kind of onion they use, but it must be a sweet type. If is finely (and I do mean finely!) diced onion. You would be hard to find an individual piece of onion. It does add a depth of flavor.
For some people, raw onion, especially when it's finely diced, is unpleasant. I don't like it in any preparation.