Super Bowl LI plans (2017)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Onion? Not in mine, please. Since lobster is pricy even when it's on sale, I don't want to taste onion. I like mine with just a drizzle of butter. Period. Make sure you grill the New England split roll, lay a small bit of lettuce in the bun to prevent bun deterioration, and stuff it with the lobster. Yu-ummmmm.

Man, now THAT is my version of a lobster roll. A bit of minced celery is not scorned upon, though.
Any time I'm near a true New England clam shack, I get one.
The last time we were in the 'port (Kennebunkport), we had them everyday.
I'm hoping to get up nawth for some Spring skiing this year.

And I didn't insinuate that she did say that. I only stated what I had the day my daughter and I went out to lunch.

Stop looking for an argument in every post you read.
Et tu, Addie. :D

The "she" GG was referring to was the author of the linked article. ;) Looks like you grabbed the wrong post to comment about...

Regarding raw onion: I do not like it in anything. Period. The problem is, once I've eaten raw onion at a meal, everything else seems to be infused with the flavor. Trust me, onion-flavored chocolate cake should never be a "thing". :LOL: I suppose I'll toss a thin sliver or two onto a food here or there, but that will be the last food item at that meal...and for a few hours to come.

Man, now THAT is my version of a lobster roll. A bit of minced celery is not scorned upon, though.
Yes, celery is perfectly acceptable. :yum: I rarely make lobster rolls at home. Heck, I don't buy them out either.

A few years back, lobsters were on sale around these parts for $3.99 a pound. Brought home two steamed, each a little over a pound, so the total weight was a bit above 2 1/4 pounds. Took me over an hour and a half (maybe closer to two) to pick all the meat from the shells. Weighed the meat when I was done...and had maybe? a half pound. All I can remember completely was that I ended up calculating that picking enough to get a pound would cost me around $30...or just what they were charging for fresh lobster meat at the seafood counter. Personally, I don't think it's worth $30, so I'll skip the lobster and buy some quality scallops for just over half the price.

Looking forward to your presence. New Englanders always welcome visitors. BTW, I don't know what the dates are this year, but Rockport, ME has a lobster festival that is a week long. More lobsters than you can eat or want to eat. Oh BTW, we pronounce that just "noth". Short o. And no r.

And to think I used to go down to the beach right after a Nor'easter and just pick them up off the beach to take home for supper. Now it is illegal for even a kid at the beach for the day to dig in the clam and disturb it or remove it just out of curiosity. They are getting almost as expensive as lobsters. In fact the last time I looked at a small order of fried clams, they were more expensive.

The lobster roll was started and developed at the Maine Diner, just over the border from NH. The original recipe contained meat from the claws and tail. It consisted of Cains Mayonnaise, fine diced sweet onion, celery and large pieces of lobster meat. The hot dog bun was buttered on both sides and toasted on the grill. Since America discovered New England's favorite food, this recipe has been bastardized over the years. First to change was the use of the right bun. Although I realize that this particular type of bun is not available through the country.

I may or may not watch the game, probably not. But I am planning to make my version of the naked chicken chalupa.

Since America discovered New England's favorite food, this recipe has been bastardized over the years. First to change was the use of the right bun. Although I realize that this particular type of bun is not available through the country.

"Bastardized." What an interesting way to characterize "used locally available ingredients."

I love that term for when modify or co-opted would work but doesn't have the punch.

New Englanders are nothing if not steadfast and proud.

I love that term for when modify or co-opted would work but doesn't have the punch.

New Englanders are nothing if not steadfast and proud.
Yeah. What's also interesting is that other members here who are from New England are not so rude in their characterizations. Proud, or obnoxious. Which has more punch? You choose.

I'm not a sports fan BUT I do love to make food. So DS went to the grocery and bought annaheim peppers, avocados, artichokes, rye bread, and pita bread. Tonight (night before) him and I made food and are taste testing everything. It's much more fun for me to have him around and cooking with me.

Guacamole with chips (food processor, avocados, strained salsa, pickled jalapenos, frozen cilantro, lemon juice, salt)

Artichoke dip broiled on rye bread (food processor, drained artichoke quarters, drained marinated artichoke quarters, mayo, parmesan cheese)

Hummus on something (green peppers maybe) (food processor, chick peas, fresh garlic, lemon juice, peanut butter--no tahini, salt, olive oil, water)

Cream cheese w/chopped olive/celery/capers/onion relish, stuffed annaheims wrapped in bacon.

We aren't entertaining anyone except ourselves! ha ha.

Just another Sunday to me.:) :LOL: If I'm home, I'll probably turn on the game but if not, I'll replay some of the commercials and excitement later. I have lots of leftovers to snack on and a busy day tomorrow, so no particular eats planned.

Bliss....your menu sounds delicious!

Last edited:
I'm not a sports fan BUT I do love to make food. So DS went to the grocery and bought annaheim peppers, avocados, artichokes, rye bread, and pita bread. Tonight (night before) him and I made food and are taste testing everything. It's much more fun for me to have him around and cooking with me.

Guacamole with chips (food processor, avocados, strained salsa, pickled jalapenos, frozen cilantro, lemon juice, salt)

Artichoke dip broiled on rye bread (food processor, drained artichoke quarters, drained marinated artichoke quarters, mayo, parmesan cheese)

Hummus on something (green peppers maybe) (food processor, chick peas, fresh garlic, lemon juice, peanut butter--no tahini, salt, olive oil, water)

Cream cheese w/chopped olive/celery/capers/onion relish, stuffed annaheims wrapped in bacon.

We aren't entertaining anyone except ourselves! ha ha.

Bliss, your post made me smile. Thanks for the share.:yum:

UH, Thank you and Thank you! DS and I have similar tastes in food, we both like a 'little hot', and different new things (DH doesn't). DS bought a pizza for DH and him for breakfast tomorrow (not my cup of tea)! HA I love having the variety. I hope everyone that watches the game has fun, I'll be cheering myself on, on the treadmill, also known as the christmas tree shelf. If I make an hour on it, I win.

I am extremely pleased with myself. Two of our three TVs went out. No signal. I checked the satellite dish. Pushed the little red buttons, and voila! Now they all work again! DH is worthless when it comes to these matters. He would have been apoplectic if he couldn't watch the big game tomorrow though.

So anyway, not only orange plastic cheese dip, but high sodium hotdog coins in grape jelly and chili sauce. Only the good die young. There may be some carrots and celery sticks with ranch or honey mustard dip too.

We may have company, we may not.

Last edited:
I am extremely pleased with myself. Two of our three TVs went out. No signal. I checked the satellite dish. Pushed the little red buttons, and voila! Now they all work again! DH is worthless when it comes to these matters. He would have been apoplectic if he couldn't watch the big game tomorrow though.

So anyway, not only orange plastic cheese dip, but high sodium hotdog coins in grape jelly and chili sauce. Only the good die young. There may be some carrots and celery sticks with ranch or honey mustard dip too.

We may have company, we may not.

Do you think maybe some snakes turned off the little red button????? ;)
You da (wo)man!

I have some of that plastic type cheese, some salsa, some frozen little smokies, now stop giving me ideas for more things to make tomorrow! :yum:

Do you think maybe some snakes turned off the little red button????? ;)
You da (wo)man!

I have some of that plastic type cheese, some salsa, some frozen little smokies, now stop giving me ideas for more things to make tomorrow! :yum:

Some snakes or a beagle may have been involved, bliss. Good point!

Yeah. What's also interesting is that other members here who are from New England are not so rude in their characterizations. Proud, or obnoxious. Which has more punch? You choose.

It is not the local ingredients that were changed, it was all the other foods that have been added by chefs who think they can improve on it. I have seen some really strange recipes for this simple New England specialty. It needs no change!

It is not the local ingredients that were changed, it was all the other foods that have been added by chefs who think they can improve on it. I have seen some really strange recipes for this simple New England specialty. It needs no change!
The bun, Addie. The bun.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom