"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 08-16-2006, 11:06 AM   #1
Head Chef

Supper Club

We are getting back into the swing of things with our Supper Club and the entire group (about 100) are getting together at a large hall. We will have no kitchen facilities available. There will be tables for 8 set up and we are "hosting" a table. At a meeting next week, I have to bring suggestions for a menu for the evening's theme which is "Tailgating" Each couple will bring part of the dinner and the hosts (we) will provide the entree.

Any suggestions for an entree that could be brought and served at room temperature and that would qualify as a tailgating dish?

Thanks for helping.
Lyndalou

Old 08-16-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

BBQ Chicken

Old 08-16-2006, 11:35 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

My Suggestion Would Be To Bring Some Grills And Grill Up Some Brats, Sausages And Hamburgers. You Could Boil The Brats In Beer With Onions At Home So That It Wouldn't Take So Long The Night Of Your Gathering. You Could Have All Kinds Of Toppings For Everything.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:20 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I was wondering about plugs for slow cookers. Then the brats/hotdogs could be in broth and still warm.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:50 PM   #5
Sous Chef

How about Jambalaya - which can be held in an insulated cooler until serving time.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:35 PM   #6
Master Chef

Baked pasta dishes are good (lasagna or pastichio or similar). All sorts of salads. Trifles for desert. As someone already said, roasted or barbecued meats. Just make sure they are very hot (or cold) when you leave home. They'll be room temp when you serve them.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:49 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Rattatouille! Perfect time of the year for fresh veggies, good served cold, or room temperature.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:13 PM   #8
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
cold picnic Fried chicken with curried mango potato salad.

Cold meatloaf sandwiches.

oh, and beer!
Old 08-29-2006, 12:25 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Lyndalou,
my two sons love football and that is when thoughts turn to tailgating..People go crazy a the ball parks, you're apt to see just about anything..One of my boys favorites is to grill at home a tri-tip, then slice it super thin, and then they package it in a container and keep it cool, they then get all the fixings for tri-tip sandwiches, french rolls, lettuce, tomato, onions, picles, they bring containers of deviled eggs, room temp baked beans, potato salad, chips, drinks, and cookies and cup cakes..Some of their friends when it's their turn bring portable grills and everything from ribs to burgers to hot dogs. My favorite though would have to be fried chicken, and potato salad,beans, other ideas might be large loaves of french bread, loaded with Italian meats and cheeses,mayo, mustard, tomato,avacado, onions, sliced pepperoncini peppers then sprinkled lightly with evoo and vinegar, and wrapped and weighted to flatten them out...It sure makes them easier to get your mouth around!!!
If I were doing this, I'd forget anything hot except mayba a thermos of coffee, I'd make things that we all could enjoy at room temp or cold..Besides if the company is good, a bologna sandwich tastes like filet
kadesma