"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 08-21-2006, 02:12 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Surprise Party & Buffet - Help!!!

I'm throwing a surprise party for my mum, and need ideas for dishes that can be made ahead/inconspicuously.

The style is going to be sweet & savory finger food to start, then a buffet of mains, then dessert - fruit, cheese, cake & coffee.

I'm probably more interested in variety than dishes that compliment one another. (I suggested to my family that lasagne and coconut & chilli fish probably didn't match and was severely shot down - so VARIETY, it seems, will be the spice of the party!)

Old 08-21-2006, 03:24 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I'm not sure where in Aus you are living, but as it's your winter - perhaps a main dish like Boeuf Bourguignonne?

Old 08-21-2006, 05:38 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Do you want hot or cold dishes? Or both?
Old 08-21-2006, 11:06 AM   #4
Sous Chef

"can be made inconspicuously/made ahead...."

from this it sounds like you live at home? Inconspicuously will be impossible! Made ahead is easy!

Why not check out the recipes on this site for ideas of flavors that you like and go from there. Be sure to mix hot and cold dishes, and don't be afraid to fill in with some purchased hors d' oeuvre or salads - delis do wonderful dishes and it will take some pressure off you.

have fun and what a nice thing to do for your Mom!!
Old 08-22-2006, 09:13 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Ishbel - that sounds good, thank you! the party will be in early spring, so suggestions for lighter spring-like meals would also be much appreciated.

Little Miss J - I was thinking a collection of both, to cater to everyone's tastes?

cjs - Yes, i live at home...you're right, inconspicuous will be quite difficult. The only positive is that as i'm designated chef, the rest of my family rarely comes into the kitchen. Hopefully that will give me some breathing space. Thanks for the deli idea, if im strapped for time i will give it a shot, but im pretty picky about serving home made stuff to guests. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks everyone Keep the ideas coming!
Old 08-23-2006, 06:37 AM   #6
Senior Cook

umm for cold stuff what about salady type things with meat ie warm beef salad, chicken ceasar (yes, yes I know chicken isn't meant to be in it!), thai chicken salad.

warm stuff...will keep thinking...I all can think of is tuna mornay :(.

Sorry not much help really?!
Old 08-23-2006, 05:58 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thanks, that actually helps a lot, because i was thinking of salads just as accompaniments - but having meat in them and making a proper meal out of it is actually a really good thought. Thanks!