"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 10-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Table Settings

We like hosting dinner parties in this house. I got into cooking because of my grandparents. They were always hosting dinner and cocktail parties. A large part of these parties was the table setting. My grandmother started teaching me about setting a table at a very young age. When I was about eight, it was my job to set the table. This meant choosing the linens, the centerpiece, the candles and and candlesticks, etc. This went for lunch just as much as dinner. She never did anything by halves. Her mindset about the table has rubbed off on me, so I often spend hours a day or two before the party setting the table and getting everything just right.

I thought it'd be nice to have a thread dedicated to the table, the place were we gather around to eat together.

Lets see some of your tables!

Old 10-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #2
Senior Cook

This was from a tea party I hosted not too long ago.

And this I set today for my husband's birthday dinner tomorrow.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
Master Chef

Very nice settings!!
We very rarely bring out our fine china and silverware. They're displayed in the china cabinet but over the years the china cabinet has slowly transformed into a curio cabinet.....lol...
Old 10-02-2015, 03:10 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Very nice settings!!
We very rarely bring out our fine china and silverware. They're displayed in the china cabinet but over the years the china cabinet has slowly transformed into a curio cabinet.....lol...
Thank you.

We use ours frequently. What's the point of having it if you don't use it, is my thought. That, and it just makes the act of eating seem more special.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:30 PM   #5
Master Chef

Beautiful table settings, Nickee! Very inviting indeed.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:00 PM   #6
Master Chef

Your table settings are just beautiful Nickee and thanks so much for sharing them. I really don't entertain any longer, although I have my mother's beautiful fine china that I treasure, and my husband brought some treasured Waterford crystal into the marriage. I certainly admire a beautifully set table, so I hope to see more pictures here.

PS..I adore those little vase napkin rings for a fresh flower!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Lovely, Nickee. We don't do much entertaining anymore either, and don't have any good china, just substantial Noritake.

My former SIL would really put on the dog when she and DH's brother would host Thanksgiving a few years ago. The turkey was nestled on a bed of 3 bags worth of fresh cranberries. Then the cranberries were pitched after the meal . But they sure set a pretty table.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:20 PM   #8
Master Chef

Very nice!!!

Your tea table reminds me of my grandmother.

She collected bone china tea cups and used a different cup and saucer at each place setting.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:26 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Very nice!!!

Your tea table reminds me of my grandmother.

She collected bone china tea cups and used a different cup and saucer at each place setting.
AB, my mother also collected bone china tea cups, and would use a different one every day for her morning coffee. She thought coffee mugs were for men, or less than lady like women. We adored each other anyway.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:28 PM   #10
Master Chef

I don't entertain here anymore either - my daughter has been wanting to host holiday dinners and special occasions at her house for the past few years, which is fine with me. And I live alone, so my everyday table setting for one isn't pic worthy. I used to do similar to Dawg's SIL, but I used bags and bags of curly parsley to adorn the turkey on its platter, and it really was fun to go all out with my grandmother's serving bowls and such.

I'll be very interested in watching this thread for beautiful table settings, especially since the holidays are coming up!