"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 10-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #261
Master Chef

Site Administrator

A coworker of Kathleen was very generous and gave her a nice deer roast, a little under 2 pounds.

Of course much discussion happened on what to do with this windfall, and in the end we decided deer stew would be lovely for a cool football Sunday.

As I mentioned, Kathleen got me a new dutch oven for my birthday. Well, she took it back. In its place she got me the Lodge enameled one. She had second thoughts about the first and I agreed, it was blue. We both wanted red.

Having the new, unused, dutch oven might have been the tipping point for deciding on the stew. Kathleen is making fried bread to go with.

What do you have planned for your tailgating celebrations?

Old 10-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #262
Certified Pretend Chef

Football is a casual concern this weekend as the Patriots are off. Food, however, is never a casual concern.

SO and I are busy this weekend with household stuff and condo association financial stuff and haven't planned dinner. I'll surprise you.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #263
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'll surprise you.

I don't know if I can take the suspense!
Old 10-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #264
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I don't know if I can take the suspense!
Today will b a quick fix meal or leftovers.

When the Pats are off, I watch casually to see if the teams I don't like are losing, unless I find a really exciting game...
Old 10-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #265
Master Chef

Site Administrator

So I wasn't feeling well last night and as such I didn't prepare for today. In the end we will likely just order pizza or sushi at some point. We do have some sausage and sauerkraut leftovers as well. Who knows.

I had hoped to do something with this special BBQ sauce I have, but not this week.

What are you tailgating with this week?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #266
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
So I wasn't feeling well last night and as such I didn't prepare for today. In the end we will likely just order pizza or sushi at some point. We do have some sausage and sauerkraut leftovers as well. Who knows.

I had hoped to do something with this special BBQ sauce I have, but not this week.

Nothing again this week, but next week I will be making tailgating food. Maybe I'll even take a picture of it on my tailgate
Old 10-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #267
Senior Cook

Quote:

Sorry you're not feeling well - I'm going to make lemon-garlic greek roasted chicken. I'll probably roast some potatos with it, and some kind of veggie. Since I'm not a football fan my tailgating will consist of cooking, cleaning and laundry. I have the Mary Shelly classic Frankenstein recording as we speak so I can watch it after football. Living with football nuts - is nuts!
Old 10-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #268
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

We are making a Tex-Mex casserole. Just sounds good.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #269
Cupcake

We both have been sick. I generally become congested when the weather fluctuates. Regardless....tailgating must go on. And Frank looks pitiful with his jersey and Browns blanket and no food.

I'm trying to use up things at home rather than let them go bad. I had a pack of mini-buns, so I got some very lean ground beef and made sliders. I browned little patties (weighing about 1.5 ounces). When they were just done, I pulled them from the pan and tossed in some minced onion and water, then put the patties back in and covered them with buns to let the bun steam. After a minute, I removed the buns and cut the heat. I recovered the patties for another minute after putting little sharp cheddar cheese squares on Frank's sliders. On to the buns, added pickle and browned, steamed onion, and, on Frank's, mustard and ketchup. A side of tater-tots to go with it and we called it "tailgating."

Last week, we had a Krispy Kreme fundraiser at work. I was gifted with a box of 12 glazed donuts, from which we ate four. Dessert tonight will be a bread pudding made with stale donuts.

~Kathleen
Old 10-30-2011, 04:03 PM   #270
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
We both have been sick. I generally become congested when the weather fluctuates. Regardless....tailgating must go on. And Frank looks pitiful with his jersey and Browns blanket and no food.

I'm trying to use up things at home rather than let them go bad. I had a pack of mini-buns, so I got some very lean ground beef and made sliders. I browned little patties (weighing about 1.5 ounces). When they were just done, I pulled them from the pan and tossed in some minced onion and water, then put the patties back in and covered them with buns to let the bun steam. After a minute, I removed the buns and cut the heat. I recovered the patties for another minute after putting little sharp cheddar cheese squares on Frank's sliders. On to the buns, added pickle and browned, steamed onion, and, on Frank's, mustard and ketchup. A side of tater-tots to go with it and we called it tailgating.

Last week, we had a Krispy Kreme fundraiser at work. I was gifted with a box of glazed donuts, from which we ate four. Dessert tonight will be a bread pudding made with stale donuts.

~Kathleen
You are a GREAT Tailgating Helper!!! Sounds really good.