Tailgating Sundays!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have unfortunately never been to a tailgate. Sad, I know. I have never been to an NFL game either lol (too cold)
Especially downtown Cleveland. The stadium being right there on the lake and that wind hitting you. Nope I'll watch from my couch. Hopefully, next fall I will be able to go.

I have unfortunately never been to a tailgate. Sad, I know. I have never been to an NFL game either lol (too cold)
Especially downtown Cleveland. The stadium being right there on the lake and that wind hitting you. Nope I'll watch from my couch. Hopefully, next fall I will be able to go.

We tailgate at home because we aren't going to the game.

I have done it at the stadium (both in Baltimore and in Cleveland) and it is such a fun time, though I still like to be sure I am IN MY SEAT before kickoff. I hate the stream of fans coming in when you hear the thump of foot on ball.

If you are cooking to enjoy the game today then you are tailgating. If you are cooking to eat and not paying attention to the game then you aren't. :)

Jr and his GF have tix to today's Viking / Philadelphia game. It's one of the last games at the Metrodome before they deflate the roof and tear it down to replace with a new and improved stadium.

I'm trying a new tailgate food today -- Nachos. Actually, Totchos. Tater tots, melty cheese, seasoned burger and toppings.

I saw these listed on a bar menu once. Today's the day to fix 'em. I'm using this recipe as a guide as I liked the picture. I guess I know how to make suitable arranged layers. Try to keep it looking neat.
Touchdown Thursdays: Totchos | Someone Left The Cake Out In The Rain

Last edited:
Jr and his GF have tix to today's Viking / Philadelphia game. It's one of the last games at the Metrodome before they deflate the roof and tear it down to replace with a new and improved stadium.

I'm trying a new tailgate food today -- Nachos. Actually, Totchos. Tater tots, melty cheese, seasoned burger and toppings.

I saw these listed on a bar menu once. Today's the day to fix 'em. I'm using this recipe as a guide as I liked the picture. I guess I know how to make suitable arranged layers. Try to keep it looking neat.

This is definitely for Jennyma. Tater tot queen. :angel:

Great, now Shrek wants Totchos...he gets them tomorrow night. I picked up what we needed at the store just now.

Found a really nice (expensive) avocado. And they had no ~ 1 pound packages of 80/20 burger, only the extra lean, I ended up with a 3.5 lb package of burger.

It freezes....

I grind mine and freeze in .5# packages.

I know and then I lose it in the freezer and find it when it's freezer burned. I'm trying hard to shop weekly, not in bulk for meats and veg. I'm not wasting so much food this way. Of course, spur of the moment changes to the menu don't help, either:rolleyes:

I am a firm believer in vacuum packing now. I pull stuff out out that has been in there for over a year and it is in wonderful shape.

I also am very interested in vacuum packaging. We had one, but I stupidly gave it away.
I am considering buying another one. I have a couple questions.

1) Do you have to buy and use their special plastic bags? I understand they are quite expensive.
2) Will they work better than our way? We wrap tightly in stretch wrap, then into heavy duty freezer bags with as much air removed as possible.
3) We take small portions from larger frozen bags. Like bread for example. I am not going to wrap each slice like i would a burger rolls or baggets. So how would vacuum sealing work in this case?

I also am very interested in vacuum packaging. We had one, but I stupidly gave it away.

1) Do you have to buy and use their special plastic bags? I understand they are quite expensive.
2) Will they work better than our way? We wrap tightly in stretch wrap, then into heavy duty freezer bags with as much air removed as possible.
3) We take small portions from larger frozen bags. Like bread for example. I am not going to wrap each slice like i would a burger rolls or baggets. So how would vacuum sealing work in this case?

Great machines.

1. Define expensive. They work! And I don't find them expensive compared to freezer-burned meat. You can also seal bags of chips and such in the original package, any plastic-type bag can be sealed (no vaccuum).
2. Yes. I've pulled out stuff several years old, still tastes fresh.
3. You can put a bunch of vac-packed bags into a big freezer bag. I just freeze my bread in the original wrapper, I don't vac pack it, though you could.

My husband doesn't like tortilla chips but loves potatoes, so he will like these!

Edit: Believe it or not, he just told me he wants tacos for dinner. I showed him this picture and now I'm going to the store for Tater Tots! LOL

Last edited:
Great machines.

1. Define expensive. They work! And I don't find them expensive compared to freezer-burned meat. You can also seal bags of chips and such in the original package, any plastic-type bag can be sealed (no vaccuum).
2. Yes. I've pulled out stuff several years old, still tastes fresh.
3. You can put a bunch of vac-packed bags into a big freezer bag. I just freeze my bread in the original wrapper, I don't vac pack it, though you could.

I have a Food Saver. I buy their rolls when they go on sale and make my own custom size bags. Since there's just the two of us I can buy larger pkgs of meat and separate it. I hate to shop every week for meat. Instead I like to take advantage of sales.

No. If you use a machine that uses channel vacuum bags (like the food saver) you can you any make of channel bags. I bought in bulk from some place in Florida and it made them quite a bit cheaper (thanks for the tip Addie).

Yes. You can't squeeze out much air and moisture when you wrap and squeeze. This really gets the air out. Foodsaver type are not as robust (or expensive) as the large chamber type, but they do get the air out.

I haven't done bread. FS suggests you leave lots of extra roll if you want to open and reseal. I haven't gone that route.

Having the sealer means we can shop the big deals, put it up and not worry about space (with the big freezer downstairs) and not worry about when we use it up. That means knowing we pulled the last of the pork chops we sealed so we know to buy more, but we have stuff in the house ready for dinner (well, tomorrow, somethings take FOREVER to thaw) :)

The Totchos were good. I left out the jalapenos and avacado. Also, I guess I didn't bake my Tater Tots long enough because they didn't get as crispy as I would have liked. But all in all it was a quick tasty meal for a Saturday night and I would make it again.

You don't have to buy their brand bags. There are a lot out there that are a lot cheaper. Just Google. :angel:

Today is another Football Sunday and today we have pizza planned. The dough is out of the freezer and on the counter. Not sure when it will be ready to start making pizzas but I suspect it will be close on game time.

What are you cooking for Football Sunday?

We have her's:

30377-albums858-picture5770.jpg

and his:

30377-albums858-picture5771.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom