Tailgating Sundays!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I shouldn't see why not.

This is kinda funny, but I have never used a slow cooker in my life. Eaten many a slow cooked meal though. I have made two meals in the crock pot in the last week. I might be hooked! :)

They are kind of addicting...I have three (6qt and 2-2 qt), but I usually use them for pot lucks at work. Oooh! This recipe would make dayshift my slaves...:chef:

Since it is the playoffs and well... we ain't in it I didn't do anything last week. This week is da Bears (Kathleen is a Bears fan) so I did some italian beef. Found a recipe online for the crockpot and put it in last night.

This stuff is gooooooood... oh goodness.. why haven't I made this before?

What are you eating for football?

Frank! You used a crockpot? So you made "fake" Italian beef then eh? :LOL:

I watched part of both games (was kinda hoping for the SeaHawks as they are just south of us but knew their luck had probably run out).

I had myself a delicious pulled pork sandwich from our potluck meeting earlier in the day.

Recipe Here

I added a second packet of Good Seasons (used the zesty). Cooked it for about 9 hours then removed the fat layer on the rump roast, shredded and let it cook in the liquid for another 2 hours.

Sometimes it takes time to get good food, this is one of them. :)

The meat was tasty, flavorful, moist and not at all greasy tasting.

I would do this one again. I am gonna freeze a good chunk later on.

Looks good - might make my rump roast and gravy obsolete.
I wonder how this would work with a chuck roast?

Yeah... at least I didn't use the crockpot then claim it was BBQ. :LOL:

I don't remember ever doing that! The fact I took it to the luncheon IN a crockpot kind of gave things away. I also made my own BBQ sauce (always do) so that helps it along as well.:angel:

Oh, I will try your recipe....sounds very good. Want my pulled pork one? :LOL:

I've had other Italian beef sandwiches and they were good, but this one tasted amazing by comparison. Frank topped the sandwiches with provolone cheese and sauteed onions, green peppers, and crimini mushrooms. He added some banana pepper rings to his. Da BEARS winning was a perfect ending to this meal. :)

I'm going to press for this again for the Superbowl.

7-layer dip

I've been invited to a Super Bowl party, and will likely go because them Steeler & Packer folks are a nutty bunch. I think I'll make a dip.

Can someone tell me what exactly are the 7 ingredients in a "7-layer dip?"
If you had to come up with your own signature 7 layers, what would it be?
In honor of the Black-Eyed Peas performing at half-time, I'm thinking of adding a layer of said hummus...

Something green, something bean... umm.. I don't know, I would have to look it up.

If you work it right you could incorporate the team colors as well.

If you had to come up with your own signature 7 layers, what would it be?

Well, it is the Packers vs the Steelers. The Steelers are known enemy for the Browns and the Packers beat my beloved Bears, so here is my seven layer fantasy dip for this year's Superbowl.

Browned Ground beef - in honor for what I hope the players do to each other during the game. Spicily seasoned - to give that lingering feeling that I will have until next season.

Black beans - because the one of the colors of the Steelers is black. I will mash these, of course.

Yellow cheese -grated. See the ground beef layer as to why.

Sour cream - I'd love to see this Superbowl being played in ice and snow, but it is in DALLAS. The sour part of the white layer is my mood knowing the weather will likely be comfy.

Chunky guacamole. It's green...which is a packer's color. Did I mention that the packers beat my bears which is why the Bears did not go to the Superbowl? Chunky because I daydream they had pieces missing like the Bears did after the game.

Salsa - blood-red salsa. With chunks. *giggles madly*

Black olives. Don't they remind you of shiners? They will remind me of them during the Superbowl.

Hmm...How about some shredded lettuce. See the ground beef layer again. And...lettuce is green. :)

Chopped green onions - to ensure that everyone has that lingering taste of the Bears NOT being in the Superbowl....and the Steelers being in it again.

Layer all. Dig in with spade-shaped corn chips (triangle chips) so we can dream of burying these teams NEXT season. :angel:

Last edited:
I'm told we are rooting for the Steelers...I think I'll be at the bookstore all day, drinking coffee and reading.

Back
Top Bottom