Tamales for family Christmas party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mmmm hmmm! The tamales turned out yummy! They're sitting in the freezer awaiting Christmas day. And yes, I used the fat from the stock and some of my home rendered lard. It's like soul food!

Sent from my 831C using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Mmmm hmmm! The tamales turned out yummy! They're sitting in the freezer awaiting Christmas day. And yes, I used the fat from the stock and some of my home rendered lard. It's like soul food!

Oh :yum: Good job, Fairygirl! And brilliant to use the rendered fat!

Ty, the turned out really well.

I've yet to try a good temale or even a decent one. Or maybe its just not my thing. Too bad since I love Mexican food.

I've yet to try a good temale or even a decent one. Or maybe its just not my thing. Too bad since I love Mexican food.

I've had tamales in several different places, including good Mexican restaurants in Austin, and the only ones I've liked are those that have whole corn, or lightly mashed corn, in the batter. Otherwise, it tastes really bland to me.

This would be me too. Much as I like Mexican, or Tex-Mex, or one of the other versions of Mex, tamales have always been well toward the bottom of the list. I think it's the steaming that mostly just makes it all mushy and lacking in texture that I have the problem with.

This would be me too. Much as I like Mexican, or Tex-Mex, or one of the other versions of Mex, tamales have always been well toward the bottom of the list. I think it's the steaming that mostly just makes it all mushy and lacking in texture that I have the problem with.

I'm with you, love good Mexican food, but I really don't like the mushiness of the tamales I've had.

I love tamales, both savory and desert tamales. I've made them in corn husks, and in parchment paper. The results are the same. Mine haven't come out mushy, but firm, like polenta. Maybe the one you had were steamed too long.

The sauce is what makes the tamale, and the texture of the finished tamale. The filling is sparse, but yummy.

A good tamale is a wonderful thing.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm with you, love good Mexican food, but I really don't like the mushiness of the tamales I've had.

I really don't think a tamale (a good one IMO) should be "mushy". The dough after steaming should be firm, but tender. The filling also, should not be mushy I like a very flavorful filling since the dough can be bland. I usually use pork and slow cook it with spices onions, chili peppers cilantro and tomatillos. It may not be a traditional filling, but it's pretty tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Back
Top Bottom